Alexi in new Young Guitar!

cobhc said:
I agree that alexi's tone isn't that bad but just to let you know Jeff "Lumis" use's active pickups, so dont flame active pickups if you love Jeff's tone.

Nah, i'm not flaming active pickups... I'm just saying that its cool someone doesn't use them for a change, and still gets a cool, original tone... The PA2 helps alexi's sound a lot and really makes the passive pickups sound good.

Yeah, but the PA2, or the je-1000 he used to use with his jackson pickups, in effect makes the pickups active, as they become low impedance, and as far as I know they will no longer work if the battery runs out, as they are running through the preamp before going to the input jack. So in effect this makes the pickups active, it just means you can control the amount of gain boost you need, and switch it on and off. Cos passive basically means, doesn't need powering, and active means it needs powering, same as monitor speakers for comparison.

cobhc said:
Yeah, but the PA2, or the je-1000 he used to use with his jackson pickups, in effect makes the pickups active, as they become low impedance, and as far as I know they will no longer work if the battery runs out, as they are running through the preamp before going to the input jack. So in effect this makes the pickups active, it just means you can control the amount of gain boost you need, and switch it on and off. Cos passive basically means, doesn't need powering, and active means it needs powering, same as monitor speakers for comparison.
Active pickup=passive+preamp
So he uses actives after all

nope, active pickup has preamp inside for minimum noise. and its magnet is much weaker than with passives (signal is boosted by preamp). his guitar just has active electronic, not active pickup dude ;)

The first and last time i've spoke with Ale (they just got their new Esp guit) we spoke about their sound and he told me he must do something (maybe active pickups) for the tone was not good as the old one(with the jacksons).
In fact the older tone was more aggressive

The older tone was more aggressive due to the 3 band eq type boost that the je-1000 had, and also maybe because the jackson pickups had a more aggressive sound, i dont know if the emg's have alnico or ceramic magnets, the jacksons had ceramic ones.

borissikic said:
nope, active pickup has preamp inside for minimum noise. and its magnet is much weaker than with passives (signal is boosted by preamp). his guitar just has active electronic, not active pickup dude ;)
Nope, that's just an EMG(or duncan live-wire, for the matter) ;)
the concept of 'active pickup' is very wide, so to speak

cobhc said:
we need someone like bob or gavin who supposedly know shitloads about everything to give us a final answer
I know as much shitloads as them...but I'm gay and was attacked by frostbite so no one believes in me :cry:

i had a PA2 in my 7 string for a while(its still there, just not in the circuit lol), all it does is boost gain, i wouldn't say thats exactly "active"... otherwise everyone who was running a tubescreamer would be considered "active"

I consider the end result active, even though to be fully 'active' by all means it should be inside the guitar...but I find no difference between putting the preamp in the control cavity and encasing it with the pickup...
An active is solely passive+gain boost...there are some sound modeling toys together but they aren't necessary

if you put it this way: If your TS dies, are you fucked up?
But if your emg dies, what happens to you? :Spin:
Is it more or less the same that happens when your cavity preamp dies? yeah, you can't just pop the pedal out of the signal chain.
That's why I consider preamps and toys actives

Elysian893 said:
well, then any guitar you run to anything is active, because you always have a preamp in front of it. unless you're playing an acoustic ;)
Not quite, because that preamp serves another purpose