Alexi Laiho - Reap 'N' Roll

Jesse-

Jun 9, 2005
Vaasa, Finland
I just saw this video, and I was like :OMG: . Is he drunk or why does he play that bad? :Spin: He just makes mistakes after mistakes, from small to big mistakes. A very good example is Ex-14. Why didn't they cut those and make a video that is, you know, perfect, since that was not played live. I must say that I am disappointed. I know Alexi wouldnt do such mistakes without alcohol, would he. Just compare to Alexis second guitar-instructional-video, Passage to the Reaper. That was some good shit.

he can still pwn you on the guitar

is this not true?

but i agree its not his most impressive playing

Jason Becker pwns me soul...so does Rusty Cooley

Yeah the video shoot seemed to be pretty improvised. I don't think they went over any of the examples more than once so...

Plus Alexi unlike other players (Ie. Steve Vai, Rusty Cooley and of course John Petrucci) doesn't focus on achieving perfect precicion on the instrument.

And by the way, Jason Becker was not that accurate either! Still :worship: to him

Wings of a dream said:
Yeah the video shoot seemed to be pretty improvised. I don't think they went over any of the examples more than once so...

Plus Alexi unlike other players (Ie. Steve Vai, Rusty Cooley and of course John Petrucci) doesn't focus on achieving perfect precicion on the instrument.

And by the way, Jason Becker was not that accurate either! Still :worship: to him
Jason was pretty damn accurate...i think his sound wasnt as "clean" a sound as many of the other shredders coming out of the 80's, but you also have to look at the difficulty of the licks Jason played.

BoDoM0311 said:
Jason was pretty damn accurate...i think his sound wasnt as "clean" a sound as many of the other shredders coming out of the 80's, but you also have to look at the difficulty of the licks Jason played.

Well I've seen him mess up a couple of times as compared to John Petrucci who I have yet see to mess up something live.

well any studio version will be clean.....thats why its done in the studio....
you can do it again and again

I love that video, passage to the reaper is a way better video though, but yeah who cares if he fucked up once or twice? It's all good :)

Wings of a dream said:

yea thats the reason why he rags on Dream theater and shit........as for the guitar playing.....im really not complaining :headbang:

I agree, Altough he does a lot of amazing stuff, it's strange that they left the errors in, especially big ones like the sixpounder solo

(Example 19 with the sweeps and tapping was godly) :worship: :headbang:

Xred_light_eyeX said:
is there a dvd or something to buy?
i dont know why, but i think i must have/see it or i must kill myself!!!
o_O
Both "Passage To The Reaper" and "Reap 'n' Roll" were featured on Young Guitar magazine's dvd-editions. I leave it to you to find out which numbers they were exactly =)

Personally, I couldn't care less about if he plays the notes right or wrong as long as I can recognize the song :cool: