Alexi passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just read in an review for Alexis autobiography that he and the other CoB members only cumminicated via attorneys with eachother after the split up and that both sides were not allowed to reveal details about the split up. Is that true? If yes: everything is even more sad! The review was pretty long, well written, detailed and the reviewer seemed to know a lot. He mentioned some things that he says he knows and that were not written in the biography....

Do you have a link? Or better yet, know of a place I can buy the autobiography? Really bummed to see it's nearly impossible to get in English.

Been spinning Sinergy - Suicide by My Side. Forgot how good it was!

" Shocked and sad. If you know me, Bodom is in my top 5 bands all time. Have been since I was in high school. I've seen them more than any band I've been a fan of (14 times). I play V's because Alexi and Randy play them. And if I were to have a band it'd basically be Bodom Meets Crue. To me, when you're a fan of someone's music, the best way to "tribute" them is to jam out. "

Here's a google translation of the review of the biography mentioned above.

"Alexi Laiho's official biography aims to shed some light on the people behind the successful band Children Of Bodom. He has experienced a lot and there is a lot to report, but unfortunately the book is terribly written. Of course, ghostwriter Petri Silas tries to make Alexi look as good as possible and that is of course legitimate with such biographies. A bit of self-adulation is part of it, but you quickly notice that Alexi is not quite the person who is being sold to you here. More on that later. Of course Alexi is familiar with the music business, but the fact that he is almost a businessman and only makes clever decisions and is deeply involved in the matter does not fit in with the "punk rocker who just wants to play guitar" as Alexi has always called himself. (I'll explain this using an example below.) Other points of criticism are mistakes that crept in (the first gig in the US was in 2000 and not 1999, as stated) or that people tend to jump back and forth between years and anticipate future events, which is very confusing . Nicknames (e.g. Starbuck) are mentioned without explanation and it is up to the reader to find out who is meant by that. The swipes against the former guitarist Roope Latvala are clearly in the direction of the mud battle. The whole thing could have been described as unprofessional behavior on the part of Roope, which led to his expulsion, but listing and stepping on any details that presumably indicate a distorted cognitive disorder of Latvala is clearly unprofessional by Mr. Laiho. Alexi wants to settle accounts, but makes herself very unsympathetic. I would also have been very interested in Alexi's alcohol problems in this open and honest biography. In 2007 and 2008 in particular, he often vomited several times on stage and in interviews he stated that whiskey burned a hole in his stomach (if he consumed one bottle a day). The book only briefly describes gastric ulcers, but that is really only mentioned in passing and the subject of alcohol is also dealt with quickly. Instead, several pages mention, for example, how good a Finnish ax brand (!) Is for chopping wood. Of course, I am not using words like surreptitious advertising or product placement here, but I find this quite strange ... After the book was published in Finland, the band suddenly split in December 2019. This is taken up in this English edition from March 2020 in a short afterword by Alexi. His remark that friends broke up sounds very implausible, as he only communicates with his former band members via a lawyer and neither side is allowed to comment publicly on details. Doesn't sound like friendship now. Especially since Henkka, Jaska and Janne hold the rights to the band name. That was a contractual business decision that the band had come to terms with over the years and that wasn't even mentioned in the book. For this foolish decision, Alexi will probably still bite his ass today and it is contrary to the intelligent and well-considered business decisions that are so often mentioned in the book. The fact that Alexi says in the afterword that his new band will blow away everything that existed in the Bodom saga before could be dismissed as cocky, but I find it disrespectful to the grandiose, the Children Of Bodom in over 20 years achieved."

I hope I did not hurt you by my thoughts. I guess it is just a part of the human nature to be curious and to want to know it all. Maybe it would be better to stop discussing theories around the circumstances of his death. We will never really know anyways

No, I understand it, everyone reacts to these things differently and I get why people want to know what happened.

I'm sure there will be some information later, we need to let the friends and family process this in peace and maybe we will get something. I personally don't think it matters to me how he died.

Anyone know what project this person is talking about?

View attachment 27266

Maybe?
https://www.discogs.com/TOLK-Entropia/release/12282279

51dP94iMBg0.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a google translation of the review of the biography mentioned above.

"Alexi Laiho's official biography aims to shed some light on the people behind the successful band Children Of Bodom. He has experienced a lot and there is a lot to report, but unfortunately the book is terribly written. Of course, ghostwriter Petri Silas tries to make Alexi look as good as possible and that is of course legitimate with such biographies. A bit of self-adulation is part of it, but you quickly notice that Alexi is not quite the person who is being sold to you here. More on that later. Of course Alexi is familiar with the music business, but the fact that he is almost a businessman and only makes clever decisions and is deeply involved in the matter does not fit in with the "punk rocker who just wants to play guitar" as Alexi has always called himself. (I'll explain this using an example below.) Other points of criticism are mistakes that crept in (the first gig in the US was in 2000 and not 1999, as stated) or that people tend to jump back and forth between years and anticipate future events, which is very confusing . Nicknames (e.g. Starbuck) are mentioned without explanation and it is up to the reader to find out who is meant by that. The swipes against the former guitarist Roope Latvala are clearly in the direction of the mud battle. The whole thing could have been described as unprofessional behavior on the part of Roope, which led to his expulsion, but listing and stepping on any details that presumably indicate a distorted cognitive disorder of Latvala is clearly unprofessional by Mr. Laiho. Alexi wants to settle accounts, but makes herself very unsympathetic. I would also have been very interested in Alexi's alcohol problems in this open and honest biography. In 2007 and 2008 in particular, he often vomited several times on stage and in interviews he stated that whiskey burned a hole in his stomach (if he consumed one bottle a day). The book only briefly describes gastric ulcers, but that is really only mentioned in passing and the subject of alcohol is also dealt with quickly. Instead, several pages mention, for example, how good a Finnish ax brand (!) Is for chopping wood. Of course, I am not using words like surreptitious advertising or product placement here, but I find this quite strange ... After the book was published in Finland, the band suddenly split in December 2019. This is taken up in this English edition from March 2020 in a short afterword by Alexi. His remark that friends broke up sounds very implausible, as he only communicates with his former band members via a lawyer and neither side is allowed to comment publicly on details. Doesn't sound like friendship now. Especially since Henkka, Jaska and Janne hold the rights to the band name. That was a contractual business decision that the band had come to terms with over the years and that wasn't even mentioned in the book. For this foolish decision, Alexi will probably still bite his ass today and it is contrary to the intelligent and well-considered business decisions that are so often mentioned in the book. The fact that Alexi says in the afterword that his new band will blow away everything that existed in the Bodom saga before could be dismissed as cocky, but I find it disrespectful to the grandiose, the Children Of Bodom in over 20 years achieved."
I see thats the review on German Amazon.

I was already sceptical about this book when someone here on the forums got the finish version and said that its pretty much half-assed crap.

Really not too sure, if I should buy this or not.

I actually tried to find a copy of that roadkill photobook to buy somewhere on the internet. But it's impossible. I could slap myself in the face for not buying it back when it released in 2012

They definitely didnt seem like friends towards the end. In March 2019 when i saw them on tour i paid for the VIP pass to meet them. And it struck me when they came out alexi stood about 10 meters away from all the other guys. the 4 other guys were all together talking to fans and alexi was separated from them. he came out by himself and went a different way when they left and i remember thinking that was weird but i had no idea at the time. looking back it was clear there was a lot of tension.

I had a similar experience, I went to see them in April iirc, and the others were all hanging out in the middle of the room, chatting with people. Alexi was alone in the corner, still talking to people who came to him, but being VERY reserved. He had just canceled the guitar clinic in Atlanta the day prior due to illness, so I assumed at the time that he just felt like shit.

I hate to speculate, but do you think the guys were mad at Alexi for not taking care of himself or something? They were probably frustrated they were watching their friend/brother/bandmate slowly killing himself. I heard Alexi mention in an interview, "it was my fault." Or do we think this is something else, maybe an ego thing that Roope mentioned after he was kicked out?

It's still hard to believe they broke up, I still remember them being a band of brothers and best friends. This last year has been such a whirlwind.

Reactions: COB-666 and Sany
Well, something changed with Alexi's personality over the years it seems. I'm reminded of the 100 guitars from hell where Alexi rushes off in a limo and leaves one of the other teachers out in the cold. If there was some long-term physical issue that caused him discomfort, that could be part of it. But then in some recent Local Band concert he is all smiles and having fun. I've always believed that he couldn't handle the pressure he put on himself of being the fontman/lead guitar/sole composer/etc. He needed someone else on stage to share the burden and lighten things up. Alexander was that guy. With Roope things were different, he didn't fill that role. And somehow things just went downhill over time. Perhaps Alexi didn't feel like the other guys were doing their part, while at the same time creating an environment where the others didn't feel like their participation was welcome.

Well, something changed with Alexi's personality over the years it seems. I'm reminded of the 100 guitars from hell where Alexi rushes off in a limo and leaves one of the other teachers out in the cold. If there was some long-term physical issue that caused him discomfort, that could be part of it. But then in some recent Local Band concert he is all smiles and having fun. I've always believed that he couldn't handle the pressure he put on himself of being the fontman/lead guitar/sole composer/etc. He needed someone else on stage to share the burden and lighten things up. Alexander was that guy. With Roope things were different, he didn't fill that role. And somehow things just went downhill over time. Perhaps Alexi didn't feel like the other guys were doing their part, while at the same time creating an environment where the others didn't feel like their participation was welcome.
This is a very interesting thought. I remember that 100 guitars thing. It was weird.

I think things were different with Jaska. He always seemed happy and very open with the fans and the rest of the band. If there were issues between Alexi and the others, I'm willing to bet it's Jaska who would try to hold them together.

Reactions: COB-666
I hate to speculate, but do you think the guys were mad at Alexi for not taking care of himself or something? They were probably frustrated they were watching their friend/brother/bandmate slowly killing himself. I heard Alexi mention in an interview, "it was my fault." Or do we think this is something else, maybe an ego thing that Roope mentioned after he was kicked out?

It's still hard to believe they broke up, I still remember them being a band of brothers and best friends. This last year has been such a whirlwind.
That ego thing was just Roopes sad excuse. Laiho tells in his autobiography that they had to kick Roope out because his alcoholism was so severe. He skipped many band rehearsals and arrived to studio almost 2 weeks late and in such bad condition that he couldn't play any of the riffs he was supposed to. Laiho tells there is recorded evidence of this aswell. So all the guys decided they had to kick Roope out and it didn't have anything to do with Laiho's ego.
Its classic behaviour for an addict to blame others and not to admit you have a huge problem yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.