Alexi Slacking??

HomerJ_123 said:
yes but where can you learn to scream correctly?

Voice teachers. I know Randy from Lamb of God and Matt Heafy from Trivium have voice instructors, so that they can properly use their vocals, so they don't fuck up their voice. I heard on TV this lady that was in a choir and fucked up her voice cause she didn't know how to sing or even talk without putting lots of strain on your (not sure of the official term) voice box. I know the original singer from Killswitch Engage would barely be able to talk after finishing a tour, because he put so much emphasis in his screaming that it just killed his throat.

Rock Hydra said:
Voice teachers. I know Randy from Lamb of God and Matt Heafy from Trivium have voice instructors, so that they can properly use their vocals, so they don't fuck up their voice. I heard on TV this lady that was in a choir and fucked up her voice cause she didn't know how to sing or even talk without putting lots of strain on your (not sure of the official term) voice box. I know the original singer from Killswitch Engage would barely be able to talk after finishing a tour, because he put so much emphasis in his screaming that it just killed his throat.
lol and where do you find voice teachers that teach you how to scream?

they are out there, but chances are, you live nowhere near one... They are quite rare.

it seems like people that are already famous only get the lessons anyways...

HomerJ_123 said:
lol and where do you find voice teachers that teach you how to scream?

There's a DVD that some of the pros use that has gotten some great reviews; if you find that, you'll probably be helped. Plus, the trick to screaming/growling properly is to NOT USE your vocal cords. You have to use your false vocal cords by vocalizing THROUGH your throat and not WITH your throat. I haven't really been able to pull this off correctly, so I modeled my growl after Gollum's voice. :kickass:

Authentic Metalhead said:
There's a DVD that some of the pros use that has gotten some great reviews; if you find that, you'll probably be helped. Plus, the trick to screaming/growling properly is to NOT USE your vocal cords. You have to use your false vocal cords by vocalizing THROUGH your throat and not WITH your throat. I haven't really been able to pull this off correctly, so I modeled my growl after Gollum's voice. :kickass:

Gollum's voice... :lol: too nice!
Anyway I agree about the "screaming skill"...

Yeah, I've always been good at emulating Gollum's voice, so I thought: "hey, why not make that my vocal style?" Only problem is it works up a hell of a lot of saliva in my mouth.

I hate how people think that screaming/growling takes no talent, because it actually is harder than singing. With singing, once you learn you're more or less okay with it, but growling takes a lot of muscle power and you have to get your throat conditions just right to make sure you don't destroy your vocal cords.

X-sploiT said:
i think from the videos alexi is slacking in vocals and takes mega shortcuts..ino playing isnt easy..annd you get mega tired but..i bet even the first song they play he takes shorcuts..i just dont think you would want to go see them live and see him slack like mad and not even has any vocals really at all..i've seen earlier videos and he's singing full vocals..and i personally think he's slacking and could do better

stfu no0b

Yeah, I've always been good at emulating Gollum's voice, so I thought: "hey, why not make that my vocal style?" Only problem is it works up a hell of a lot of saliva in my mouth.

I hate how people think that screaming/growling takes no talent, because it actually is harder than singing. With singing, once you learn you're more or less okay with it, but growling takes a lot of muscle power and you have to get your throat conditions just right to make sure you don't destroy your vocal cords.

Yes, yes.. you're right, totally! And so you have a band, where you sing or play? cuz you truly know things that, many people, think are just stupidity.. and indeed those things are true...

my mother was a singer, and my father a bass-player.... so I grew up with music since I took my first breathe....
that's why music is my first (and maybe also the last) love... I completely go crazy for it... and maybe stupid too, who knows...

lol yeah, 5 years ago i was in a choir (i exited after 4 years).. well a good one (i even had a gig and made a CD with the (fucking and sucking) scorpions).. i know what to use... though my throat gets dry after 10 minutes or sth...

┼Victim of the Night┼ said:
Yes, yes.. you're right, totally! And so you have a band, where you sing or play? cuz you truly know things that, many people, think are just stupidity.. and indeed those things are true...

Actually, no, I have no band or group at all. There are very few people in my area who are interested in forming a band and the ones that are have no need for a vocalist. I need to put out some ads or something. If anyone in So Cal here needs a good Gollum-esque vocalist, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I grew up with music since I took my first breathe....
that's why music is my first (and maybe also the last) love... I completely go crazy for it... and maybe stupid too, who knows...

I know what you mean. I didn't really start getting into music a lot until a few years ago, but now it's become my life. I'm more of a listener than a player, though, I'm not too good with my fingers when it comes to guitar/bass. It's always been my dream to be a vocalist or a drummer, though I don't believe I have enough energy to do the latter like I want to (DM drumming)

my mother was a singer, and my father a bass-player.... so I grew up with music since I took my first breathe....

I know what you mean, I wasn't into music as early as you, but in grade school, I started learning the trumpet in school, and played it unitl I graduated high school, but in my Senior Year, I bout a Squier strat and guitar playing practically enveloped my life. I'm want to be able to sing and play at the same time, eventually.

@ Authentic Metalhead: I think you understand music better than some people here, I think it appears through the way you speak about music.. and it's rare to meet someone who really understand something about music.
Unfortunately many people is only able to say bla, bla, bla, besides putting mud on the others.... but only that.
By the way, I hope your "dream" to become a drummer will come true, but... why do you think to have no energy? Maybe you have inside yourself a force that you haven't discovered yet... :)

Rock Hydra said:
I know what you mean, I wasn't into music as early as you, but in grade school, I started learning the trumpet in school, and played it unitl I graduated high school, but in my Senior Year, I bout a Squier strat and guitar playing practically enveloped my life. I'm want to be able to sing and play at the same time, eventually.

You have to be determined.... and don't gove up at the first difficulties...
I also hope for you that you'll get what you want! :)
Personally, my dream is to sing... it's my mother's fault if I love singing, yeah...:rolleyes:
and nothing else matter (sorry, casual "sponsor", ahah!) around me, and I feel just high... so high that then it seems impossible to come back to this evanescent world....

Nikotiini said:
^ I was in band till I graduated as well. I've played the trumpet, sousaphone, tuba and a little drums... actually rotatoms... :)

well done, Nikotiini.... :) compliments! I wish I could learn to play piano, someday! or maybe my father's bass....

..then do it!! if you want to, just do it. learning musical instruments is awesome and you have sth to do when you're bored

Nikotiini said:
^ I was in band till I graduated as well. I've played the trumpet, sousaphone, tuba and a little drums... actually rotatoms... :)

Yeah, I played some Trumpet, Baratone and Tube, and got a little into the Alto Saxophone, but reed instruments are not my type.

You have to be determined.... and don't gove up at the first difficulties...
I also hope for you that you'll get what you want! :)
Personally, my dream is to sing... it's my mother's fault if I love singing, yeah...:rolleyes:
and nothing else matter (sorry, casual "sponsor", ahah!) around me, and I feel just high... so high that then it seems impossible to come back to this evanescent world....

What kind of singing? Like metal singing? Or like pop or something like that.

even if I wanted, I can't sing metal way :mad: cuz my voice has...how can I explain?...let's say it has a "soft" timbre....
I love metal and rock but, when I sing, I have to do another inventory...to give you an idea, I'm inspired by some singers like Celine Dion way of singing .... I like her a lot... :)
Instead, I can't stand the "pseudo-music" of people like Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson...ouch! They're beautiful, but they're not good to my ears....