Alice in Chains

Cool band, "We Die Young" is one of my favorites from them.

I also think Facelift is my favorite album by them.

I listened to the s/t for the first time today, and it fucking rules as I expected. Not as overtly ass-kicking as Dirt, but it stands out in other ways - mainly in being creepy as hell.

For some reason I've had "Dam That River" stuck in my head all night. Such an awesome fucking riff. I'd totally blast that song right now if I didn't have neighbors sleeping next door.

I listened to the s/t for the first time today, and it fucking rules as I expected. Not as overtly ass-kicking as Dirt, but it stands out in other ways - mainly in being creepy as hell.

For some reason I've had "Dam That River" stuck in my head all night. Such an awesome fucking riff. I'd totally blast that song right now if I didn't have neighbors sleeping next door.

Go for it, that song is awesome

I recently found out that the voice on Iron Gland (the untitled track on Dirt) was done by Tom Araya. That's pretty funny.

I for one am seriously looking forward to the new album. Jerry has proven on his solo albums that he is still 100% capable of producing amazing music. William isn't Layne though...and in this case I feel that is for the best. I would exit my home and jump in front of a bus if Alice in Chains picked some fuck who just sings, looks, eats, shits, and fully rips off Mr. Staley. William definitely has a very different voice than Layne but with a similar range and it harmonizes well with Jerry's.

People seem to just watch videos of William performing Man in the Box live and completely say "fuck this guy." And I must admit, from what I've seen, it seems to be his roughest song (who can blame him, the song's vocals have a really incredibly high vocal range). But if you go back and watch footage of Layne doing the song during at his last show in 96, he is far from being void of voice cracks in the chorus (I seem to recall at least a couple) and he definitely is far from hitting every note that was in the recorded version. Yet everyone praises Layne and ignores any and all error on his part just because he is the "one and only" Layne Staley....and I don't blame them...but with this in mind, maybe William should get just a little slack when he makes similar mistakes.

If check out some of his other performances with Alice in Chains before you form an opinion. William does a great version of "Rain When I Die" for example, but people still give him shit there.

I agree that his voice doesn't seem to be quite as emotional as Layne's...but for fucks sake, we haven't even heard a decent quality recording of him with AIC yet. On top of that, Willaim is not only singing someone else's lyrics, but he is also trying to match someone else's voice, and live up to the expectations of thousands of fan's. I can only assume that these circumstances can make it hard for him to be allowed to produce emotion on a similar level as Layne Staley.

With all this in mind, i don't expect to like him as much as I like Layne...I don't think anyone does, but I do expect a good solid release from Alice in Chains. And I think it's sad that so many fan's aren't going to give it a sufficient listen that the album deserves, and just write it off without a moments consideration.

this clip gives me lots of hope:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my absolute favorite grunge band. All of their albums were phenomenal. Jar of Flies was my personal favorite though; Nutshell and Rotten Apple are great songs.

Been listening to Dirt and Sap tonight. This band is so fucking great it almost brings tears to my eyes.

The nothin' song sticks to your mouth, like peanut butter on the brain...
Aaahh-heyyyyyyy... nothin' ever stays the same...

One of the greatest bands in the mainstream. I don't know why they are posted here though, they are considered "heavy Metal/Grunge" also they are listed in metal archives and spirit of metal. That is irrelavent though. Great band don't care about the genre elsewise. I would consider them alternative metal since heavy metal is considered a classifcation and not a specified genre in the long run.

They're grunge; they'll always be grunge, despite the metal influence on their sound.

Has anyone heard Ryan Adams' cover of "Down in a Hole?" It's absolutely gorgeous (on par with the original, just a different vibe).

Last edited by a moderator:
Alice in Chains is pretty badass, if you like them you have to get the Alice in Chains Unplugged dvd where they do all acoustic versions, its really fucking good.