All you need to know about Finnish language...

Midnightblueshade said:
I have a chance to buy it, too..... but it looks rather boring :err:
As someone said on the previous page, it means "Are you waiting for Satan?" or maybe "Is it Satan that you're waiting for?"

"Luckily you got Alexander "BUM" Kuoppala away out of your band!!"
Either the person who said/wrote that didn't like Alexander, or I got the meaning wrong :err:

who said that?

ChildrenOfKalmah said:
Howabout "jos jotain yrittaa (harva meista on rautaa)"?
Tough one.... I understand some words, but I don't really get the meaning.

jos = if
jotain = something/anything
yrittää = to try
harva = sparse/little/few
on rautaa = is iron

"meistä" is imho some elative plural form, meaning out of something, but I can't figure out the stem of the word... maybe "mies" = "man"?

@Beka Don't know, Parn666 just asked for the translation, I'd also like to know who said that.

Midnightblueshade said:
Tough one.... I understand some words, but I don't really get the meaning.

jos = if
jotain = something/anything
yrittää = to try
harva = sparse/little/few
on rautaa = is iron

"meistä" is imho some elative plural form, meaning out of something, but I can't figure out the stem of the word... maybe "mies" = "man"?

@Beka Don't know, Parn666 just asked for the translation, I'd also like to know who said that.

Nope, meistä = "of us"

So , "If you try something(few of us are iron)"

Well, I think it could technically be 'yrität', as well.

Yritää: Try
Yritän: I try
Yrität: You try

Kind of like 'Mina Olen' is 'I am' 'Olen' still works, it's just like 'im'

Sinä Olet
Hän ole(he/she is)
Me olemme(we are)
etc, etc

just stuff ive been learning :D My finnish still sucks but it's getting better. i think...

few minor things:

Yrittää: Try
Hän on (he/she is)

Obviously you've got the grasp of it though, so congrats. I hear it's not that easy.

Thank ya. :) Yeah, I am still making the small mistakes(forgetting a letter, etc), and I still mess up cases sometimes, and some words are just plain difficult...for instance, 'From the Park' is just 'Puistosta', 'From Work' is 'Töistä',(changes the original word of työ) but 'From Itäkeskus' is 'Itäkeskuksesta' (which took me about a week to learn to say properly :p)

Sometimes you have to drop a letter when you add an end, sometimes not, and trying to keep the 8 cases straight is a pain in the ass. :D

But I find the two easiest things are:
1. In Finnish it's pretty much pronounced as it's written, unlike English which seems to invent ways to say things

2. With the cases, rules are followed MOST of the time. Like I sing-laulan You sing-laulat I sang-laulin You sang- Laulit I go-Menen I went-Menin....

There are exceptions my friends are teaching me but there are rules at least to help. :D

can you someone translate this song, i only see that the song says something about vesku, tonmi, allu, janne and kimberly but i dont know what, so if someone can translate the song i will love you forever (hum wtf)

Kylähullut
Kun allu nyplää klitorista, siin on kavereille kertomista
Tonmi pistää vuorokauden panot, siinä tulee kissoille jano
Vesku kun puskee pyydin päälle, urpot lähtee järven jäälle
Voihan hitsipippuri, tuli heti kulliin tippuri

Tiijätkö jätkän janne wirman, se on perustanu ikioman firman
Yleistä pilluu se siellä myykin, janne ruikkii ja lehmät pesee pyykin

Jos haluut miestä tai naista, ota luuriin raatikaista
Korsu maksaa ja kuivat hukkaa, kandee mennä jätkä pukkaan

Kylähullut, kylähullut, kylähullut

Jos pelataan joskus sählyy, breikillä pannaan kimberlyy
Menkää kaikki pojat jonoon, siinä menee öögat vinoon

Kun oikeen soittaa, ei voi mitään, alkaa kuumassa ruohoo itään
Ja tietysti maailman suurin toope, vittu saatana latvalan roope

Miepä olen hurja leila, en oo mikään höpöhöpö heila
Mä pillua kaikille annan, veskulle lääkkeitä kannan

Kylähullut, kylähullut, kylähullut

Soitetaan saatanan lehmä suohon ja kuikataan kotipeltoon

thanks.,

Hello everyone :wave:
Well, I finally read trough the whole thread :Spin:

It's great to hear that some people think Finnish is interesting and are trying hard to learn it... Makes me proud of being a Finn :D
I'll try to help you as much as I can, though I kinda suck at grammar.

Cheers

Katala said:
Hello everyone :wave:
Well, I finally read trough the whole thread :Spin:

It's great to hear that some people think Finnish is interesting and are trying hard to learn it... Makes me proud of being a Finn :D
I'll try to help you as much as I can, though I kinda suck at grammar.

Cheers

didn´t you see my msg up yours? i need help :erk:

Güeño] said:

heh, that song is a bitch to translate..would be nice to see if someone can come up with a decent translation...I would give it a shot but I don't even know what all the words mean.. :(

Sister Of Sorrow said:
^so what does that mean ? cos I prolly gonna buy it :cool: :kickass:

The joke is that it has a double meaning : "What the hell are you waiting for?" and "Are you waiting for Satan?"

Fenrir13 said:
2. With the cases, rules are followed MOST of the time. Like I sing-laulan You sing-laulat I sang-laulin You sang- Laulit I go-Menen I went-Menin....

Yep, MOST of the time.. I sang-lauloin, you sang-lauloit! You seem to be doing pretty well though, keep it up!

magica_de_spell said:
heh, that song is a bitch to translate..would be nice to see if someone can come up with a decent translation...I would give it a shot but I don't even know what all the words mean.. :(

You're so right... I gave up on it. Couldn't figure it out even with the newest and largest (I think) Finnish-German dictionary there is plus a slang dictionary... it's just too colloquial. There's like three sentences I can translate completely, and that's it...

Different Kylähullut question: In the title "Marttyyri (se vitun ählyjuttu)"
What the HELL does that "ähly" mean??? I've looked it up in in like 5 dictionaries, among them 2 slang dictionaries, and asked about 4 people from Finland, and basically, that word just doesn't seem to exist...

Maili Björklund said:
Different Kylähullut question: In the title "Marttyyri (se vitun ählyjuttu)"
What the HELL does that "ähly" mean??? I've looked it up in in like 5 dictionaries, among them 2 slang dictionaries, and asked about 4 people from Finland, and basically, that word just doesn't seem to exist...

Ähly is short of ählämi, which is a slang word for a middle-eastern person. A muslim if you will.

I'll try translating the song later if nobody beats me to it.

Güeño] said:

Sorry, I had to leave for Ruisrock right after I wrote that :D
And now I'm back and have about 20 mins before I leave. So I didn't have time to translate that long song :erk: (besides, I don't think I could have translated it even if I had the time)

... I'll write that down and think about it if I have any spare time

Heh, i am taking a big step soon....gonna be trying to sing a few finnish songs in karaoke this weekend at the tuska afterparty. Going to try Täiväs Lyö Tulta, Hevimies, and Takatalvi. Of course i\ll have my pre song rant in finnish explaining the butchery of the pronounciations hehe