All you need to know about Finnish language...

Morrigu20 hit the nail on the head. I know some French, German and Finnish. I took French and German in high school and had been studying it way longer than Finnish and I know nothing about it. I know way more about Finnish and I only started learning it a year ago when I met my girlfriend. (Who lives in Finland)

Hell, finnish rocks, but I'll never have the time to learn such an...useless language. I mean, why should I waste my time and effort learning finnish(spoken by a handful of people) for my own delight when I can learn french or perhaps german(spoken by countries and colonies worldwide)....I'd love to learn finnish but I have professionaly useful languages in mind first.

I_AM_CANADIAN! said:
^ Hehe . . . I'm taking German this semester in school! :loco: I've studyed French and Polish too! Next up is Finnish! :lol:

Wow ur probably an intelligent person..Learn 3 or 4 differents languages for me it's impossible :p I juste know french(first language) and english(at least) :erk: I would like to talk chinnese...Amazing language..

marco heitala from sinergy/nightwish is singing a song with alexi in the nightwish dvd from wishes to eternity, and he is singing 3 arms and 6 penises, i am a mutant how would i sing that in finnish (its fucky hilarious!)

The Bringer said:
Morrigu20 hit the nail on the head. I know some French, German and Finnish. I took French and German in high school and had been studying it way longer than Finnish and I know nothing about it. I know way more about Finnish and I only started learning it a year ago when I met my girlfriend. (Who lives in Finland)

I was referring to people who take the language, it's usually Spanish around here, for the class credits instead of wanting to learn something. The American public school system just isn't set up for people who want to learn so every class is filled with those idiots and people like me can't really concentrate because we're thinking about how nice it would be if the idiots got hit by a bus in the parking lot. But I get what you're saying, I forgot most of the German I learned because I never used it.

goth_fiend said:
marco heitala from sinergy/nightwish is singing a song with alexi in the nightwish dvd from wishes to eternity, and he is singing 3 arms and 6 penises, i am a mutant how would i sing that in finnish (its fucky hilarious!)

It goes like this:

Kolme kättä ja kuusi penistä
Mä mutantti oon!

:loco:

Janina said:
So, that's the best I could do, there might be a few mistakes, but you'll get the point(?)... The word "kuikataan" is completely strange to me, I guess it's some sort of slang word, but I've got no idea what it's supposed to mean, anyone??!!
Kiitos käannöksestäsi! It's really reassuring to hear that even Finns sometimes can't figure out Finnish :D

Fenrir13 said:
...if you can find something on CD or tape that helps you, do it. It's one of those languages that hearing it a lot will help a LOT. Trust me, I don't think i'd be learning at this rate(my friends say i learn fast, but i can only get thru basic conversations, I learned German much faster), but i've been listening to it spoken for a year.
I figured so, too. I've been learning Finnish for two years now and I was the best in my class, but this summer I went to Finland for the first time and I just can't understand spoken Finnish. I couldn't even get through a basic conversation - I envy you! :cry:
I was really elated about that recorded radio interview to give me a chance to listen to some spoken Finnish! And I really need to find more, I guess listening to Eläkeläiset won't do much for the spoken Finnish department ;)

ADDIT: Does someone know a Finnish radio (or TV) station broadcast via internet? I had this link to MTV3 uutiset, but seems nowadays you need to register (and pay?) for that service.

Midnightblueshade said:
ADDIT: Does someone know a Finnish radio (or TV) station broadcast via internet? I had this link to MTV3 uutiset, but seems nowadays you need to register (and pay?) for that service.

Radio Helsinki is probably the only one or at least the only one worth listening to. No need to register or any of that crap.
http://www.radiohelsinki.fi

Midnightblueshade said:
but this summer I went to Finland for the first time and I just can't understand spoken Finnish.

Man, same with me and Swedish, been learning a few months from friends and stuff (i go out there a lot) and i can read it fucking well, can't understand what the fuck is said when spoken:D

Haro! I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to say the following sentence in Finnish; because Apocalyptica is coming to my country and I want to say this to them. Thanx.

"Thank you for coming to such a small country, we really aprecciate it".

Also, could you tell me how to pronounce it bitte?
Thanx again.

Nieuwe onderwerpen!!!!
Wij hebben dat om verschillende dingen in deze onderwerpen te plaatsen het altijd het zelfde ding.... is
Doei...

Can some please tell me what this stuff means? :D

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood said:
Haro! I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to say the following sentence in Finnish; because Apocalyptica is coming to my country and I want to say this to them. Thanx.

"Thank you for coming to such a small country, we really aprecciate it".

Also, could you tell me how to pronounce it bitte?
Thanx again.

"Kiitos että tulitte näin pieneen maahan, me todella arvostamme sitä."

I'm not gonna say anything about pronunciation... :dopey:

Hell-o!!
I've got another question concerning "Oops, I Didi It Again":
what is one of the guys saying at the very end of the recording, right after the laughing? It must be in Finnish, too.
To my (German) ears it sounds something like "dosmedan".

Any help will be appreciated :)

Puna Viini said:
Hell-o!!
I've got another question concerning "Oops, I Didi It Again":
what is one of the guys saying at the very end of the recording, right after the laughing? It must be in Finnish, too.
To my (German) ears it sounds something like "dosmedan".

Any help will be appreciated :)

He (Janne) says: "Ei se mitään." It seems that the English vocabulary is rather limited, because the best translation to that I could think of is "It's okay."

Sepulchre said:
"Kiitos että tulitte näin pieneen maahan, me todella arvostamme sitä."

I'm not gonna say anything about pronunciation... :dopey:

Thanx a lot, I really apreciate. Although just tell me something: Is the a with the points on top pronounced like in Deutsch or whta? Please tell me.