All you need to know about Finnish language...

I'm curious as to the differing letter sounds in Finnish vs. English.

Just "j" is a "yah" sound (Jaska) correct?

is there anything else I should know about reading Finnish? Such as in Spanish, you pronounce all the letters, where as in French, you barely pronounce half :p

In finnish you pronounce all the letters. Or I think so. But maybe somebody else can say it sure :p Im a finn and dont even know for sure are all the letters pronounced in finnish :rolleyes:

I'm curious as to the differing letter sounds in Finnish vs. English.

Just "j" is a "yah" sound (Jaska) correct?

is there anything else I should know about reading Finnish? Such as in Spanish, you pronounce all the letters, where as in French, you barely pronounce half :p

You just pronounce them the way they are written. I think you can get into good start first by learning the alphabet in finnish, so after that you can pretty much say correctly most of the words.

There may be some words which are hard to pronounce for foreigners, such as words where is 2 different vocals near each other, like; "Kielo, tuolla, tieto, taito" etc etc. But I think you can say them pretty good just when you learn the alphabet.

well, i've had some experience with "odd" sounds, i know a bit of japanese (i'm half).

key-eh-lo

too-oh-la

tee-eh-toh

is that all good? do you know a good site to learn the alphabet from? thanks :p

well, i've had some experience with "odd" sounds, i know a bit of japanese (i'm half).

key-eh-lo

too-oh-la

tee-eh-toh

is that all good? do you know a good site to learn the alphabet from? thanks :p

Yeah, I think a finn would understand the 2 first, if you pronounce those in a english way... Not 100% sure about the third one, but you did them pretty good. I can't help atm much, I'm pretty tired and confused and other shit so...

yarrgh, fin is a bit hard.. im learning it so i can apply for an exchange student program for next year. the conjugations and such scare me though. for instance its much more difficult than italian when i was learning it :erk:

yarrgh, fin is a bit hard.. im learning it so i can apply for an exchange student program for next year. the conjugations and such scare me though. for instance its much more difficult than italian when i was learning it :erk:

Hey man, that's cool. Whereabouts youre gonna go studying?

^not sure, i guess wherever my host family can accomodate me :) i was hoping somewhere in tampere or turku, helsinki maybe. we'll see :)

I was myself also earlier considering on going to somewhere as exchange student.. But I changed my mind, the school's are too good here...:lol:
I live at Lahti :kickass:

I see this topic just now..but I'd like to know if for a Finnish the learning of Enlgish is difficult..

when americans talk finnish do they have an american accent? does it sound retarded?

Yes, ofc you have some kind of accent when youre speaking finnish, if you're foreigner. My aunt is spanish, shes been living at Finland from 5 to 40 years, and she has ofc still her identical spanish accent when she speaks :p But yeah, ofc people notice that youre a foreigner and im 100% sure they will understand everything you speak, even if you didn't speak perfect finnish.

- Sorry for typos/messy post... I'm drunk lol

when americans talk finnish do they have an american accent? does it sound retarded?

Yes they do have a accent but it doesn't sound retarded at all. Finnish speaking americans I know usually have troubles with long vowels and consonants and sometimes they pronounce words like they would be speaking English but it doesn't sound that bad and is very understandable.

In finnish you pronounce all the letters. Or I think so. But maybe somebody else can say it sure :p Im a finn and dont even know for sure are all the letters pronounced in finnish :rolleyes:

yup you do!..but you mark so much some leters like R, just yesterday i was listening Kotipelto, te amare, i think he pronunce it so much better than others singers from other countries, but just in the word "Amare" it sounds like amarre (it is the past of Tie) :lol: