All you need to know about Finnish language...

A friend of mine has a friend who is in a band that got a bad review.
One thing the reviewer (Finnish guy) said, is that if they'd be any softer, they'd be Britney Spears. So, one of my Finnish friends translated the sentence to 'muudan päässä Britney Spearsista'.
What would you make of that?

It's exactly the thing I was looking for, thanks again!

The guy pronounces a few things a bit differently to other people that I've heard say them but at least it'll give me a rough idea.

I don't think I've seen that bit on the Nightwish DVD.

I really like the Aku Ankka (Donald Duck) function. :D:headbang:

Thank you!! :D

I love the part in Trashed, Lost in Helsinki where Alexi is talking on the phone to Kippo and he says something like "torks" biisi. I looked up the word for "two" because it says on the screen "two songs" but it tells me it's "kaksi".I think I should just start from the beginning if I want to learn to speak some simple sentences aye? :lol:

It's slang, "kaks". Also, they didn't translate EVERYTHING word to word to the english subtitles.

How do we say : I do what I want - I want you - let's have fun - in finnish?

On book language (not slang)

1. Teen mitä tahdon <-- There isnt the word "minä" = me, it would go in the start of the sentence, but cos theres the "n's" after the "teen" and "tahdon" the reader can see from it that you mean yourself, it doesn't apply on every word though.

2. Tahdon sinut <---- Same thing

3. Pidetään hauskaa <---- Theres many slang kind of forms/ other variations for this, but that's how it's writed in normal finnish :p

Seems like you are serious about learning Finnish Mitch. Plan to visit Finland?

I don't PLAN on doing so, no, but if I ever had the chance, then I wouldn't turn it down.

I would also like to be able to speak another language fluently and since out of all the languages I can think of, Finnish seems to sound the coolest to me. I like the idea of randomly blurting out Finnish phrases during work and have people look at me like ":zombie:".

A friend of mine has a friend who is in a band that got a bad review.
One thing the reviewer (Finnish guy) said, is that if they'd be any softer, they'd be Britney Spears. So, one of my Finnish friends translated the sentence to 'muudan päässä Britney Spearsista'.
What would you make of that?

Maybe he said "mudan päässä Britney Spearsista" that would be "A distance away of mud from Britney spears" or sth, but something being away by the distance of _mud_ from something. Though this doesn't make sense to me. And "muudan" isn't any word.

Just checked my text messages, I was mistaken.
The sentence my mate Harri gave me was tuuman päässä BS:ista

Tuuma is a uhh... I forgot the word, but its same like cm, m, feet, km etc. But its from the smaller end from those, can't atm remember exactly how much.

EDIT: It might of been one inch.

My Finnish dictionary says 'inch'

Which leads me to believe Harri didn't really understand what I meant to say but just made a literal translation of the sentence I gave him: An inch away from Britney Spears. Which is English for the thing I meant, but I'm not so sure the literal translation would mean as much in Finnish...

I hate the fact that most things don't have a direct translation. It's like there's two ways of saying the same word and they're both spelt and pronounced differently so you have to learn both and then how to use them in context. Things like in French too where you switch words around in a sentence. Ghey.

It's slang, "kaks". Also, they didn't translate EVERYTHING word to word to the english subtitles.

On book language (not slang)

1. Teen mitä tahdon <-- There isnt the word "minä" = me, it would go in the start of the sentence, but cos theres the "n's" after the "teen" and "tahdon" the reader can see from it that you mean yourself, it doesn't apply on every word though.

2. Tahdon sinut <---- Same thing

3. Pidetään hauskaa <---- Theres many slang kind of forms/ other variations for this, but that's how it's writed in normal finnish :p

Thank you! :wave:

My Finnish dictionary says 'inch'

Which leads me to believe Harri didn't really understand what I meant to say but just made a literal translation of the sentence I gave him: An inch away from Britney Spears. Which is English for the thing I meant, but I'm not so sure the literal translation would mean as much in Finnish...

Actually you can use "tuuman päässä" (=inch away) also in Finnish , it's not most common phrase to use but everyone would understand. It's not really used in spoken language, but in written language sometimes.

Actually you can use "tuuman päässä" (=inch away) also in Finnish , it's not most common phrase to use but everyone would understand. It's not really used in spoken language, but in written language sometimes.

Thank you!
That's good to know, because my friend is already having the text printed on a t-shirt.

You don't need to talk about COB in this thread, it's about the Finnish language.

And here's my question:

What is Alexi saying in Finnish in this video at beginning when he's saying "why dont you play us a killer lick" and "back in the day when we were 18 yr old punks" etc?

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UFISWsN7oLg[/ame]

I know it has English subtitles but I'd like to know how to write it down so I can practise it. Plus, he says a word like "liikee" for "lick" but when I put "lick" into a English->Finnish translator, it doesn't come up with any words that begin with L.