All you need to know about Finnish language...

Well, cant really say anything about that. I think I know my language and so does everybody, I guess? Maybe there are some things in the grammar that you dont even know they exist

uhmm.. yeah

what does "Jos et löydä rauhaa itsestäsi on turhaa etsiä sitä muualta" means anyway?

The written Finnish language looks so cute. I'm impressed that so many Finnish bands write all their lyrics in English. It must be a difficult transition to think in Finnish then write shit down in English.

Horns up to all the great Finn bands that come up with such great English lyrics! :headbang:

The written Finnish language looks so cute. I'm impressed that so many Finnish bands write all their lyrics in English. It must be a difficult transition to think in Finnish then write shit down in English.

Horns up to all the great Finn bands that come up with such great English lyrics! :headbang:

Funny way of thinking. :p

They think in English so it's eaisier. When you start to be good at speaking an other language you are able to think in that language. And Finnish people have a good level in English so I don't think it's that difficult. (am i wrong?)

They think in English so it's eaisier. When you start to be good at speaking an other language you are able to think in that language. And Finnish people have a good level in English so I don't think it's that difficult. (am i wrong?)

Maybe, how do you mean?

It's hard to say if i'm thinking in English XD ..Ofcourse i don't live in Finland ether, but.. still :)

Well, when you want to speak a language really well, you have to avoid translating. Of course you do it when you learn it. But then you learn the way they think their language. :lol: I know i'm not clear at all.

Well, at least when Im speaking a lot in english at some point I notice Im thinking in english too. After spending one week abroad and speaking english all the time, that's what happens.

And couple reasons why finnish bands sing in english (or at least I think these are some reasons): some things just sound better in english. If you try to translate lyrics from Bodom or Nightwish in finnish, they sound, well quite ridicilous. Or at least thats what I think. Also if you want to get more succes abroad, its better to sing in english. But then there are of course bands like Stam1na who write great lyrics, in finnish.
And well, I guess most of us finns are pretty good in english so writing lyrics in english isnt that difficult

And couple reasons why finnish bands sing in english (or at least I think these are some reasons): some things just sound better in english. If you try to translate lyrics from Bodom or Nightwish in finnish, they sound, well quite ridicilous. Or at least thats what I think.

I have heard that before that English to Finnish does not translate too well. Makes it all the more fascinating. Thanks! :D

Well, at least when Im speaking a lot in english at some point I notice Im thinking in english too. After spending one week abroad and speaking english all the time, that's what happens.

And couple reasons why finnish bands sing in english (or at least I think these are some reasons): some things just sound better in english. If you try to translate lyrics from Bodom or Nightwish in finnish, they sound, well quite ridicilous. Or at least thats what I think. Also if you want to get more succes abroad, its better to sing in english. But then there are of course bands like Stam1na who write great lyrics, in finnish.
And well, I guess most of us finns are pretty good in english so writing lyrics in english isnt that difficult

one of the reasons i like finnish spoken/singing, it's because the language flows. i can't really explain, it sounds natural.

yeah, i guess it changes from people from people, but i still think so

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the reasons i like finnish spoken/singing, it's because the language flows. i can't really explain, it sounds natural.
Cant say for sure but maybe its partly because we use a lot of vocals in our language. More than in english at least (or thats what Ive heard/discovered). One of the things that seems to be a bit difficult for the others is to pronounce the long vocals, -aa and -ii for example (like in 'kiitos')

(And btw, that Ensiferum-song is awesome:p I like the part where they sing in finnish..)

Translated lyrics will never work between languages as different as Finnish and English. Personally I think Finnish can very poetic and excellent language for lyrics, also in rock music. As an example Kotiteollisuus -Tuonelan Koivut, imo those are great lyrics and impossible to translate to english so that feeling would be the same. I think it's more about wanting to sing in English and English being international language, not because Finnish wouldn't be as good as english for lyrics. And long vowels definitely suit for singing.

edit: and btw, what do you think about Finnish in this song? Everyone should know what original sounds like ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Yeah, have to agree with that, Kotiteollisuus has got some great lyrics that really wouldnt work in english.

One of the things that seems to be a bit difficult for the others is to pronounce the long vocals, -aa and -ii for example (like in 'kiitos')

The whole holding out vowels is a little difficult, but holding consonants are even more difficult. Whenever I try to speak a little finnish, I think I'm doing it right but I'm not really all that sure because I've never even met a native speaker of Finnish to tell me if it's correct.
(I saw a tutorial on youtube that used the words "tuli," "tuuli," and "tulli" as examples)

Hearing those held out sounds are even more difficult than trying to produce them. And also the difference between sounds like U and Y are difficult, or u and ü in german are pretty difficult.

The idea of holding out sounds longer than others isn't a new idea to me, though. Japanese has the same concept and I started trying to teach myself that like 6 years ago. I remember when I first started the idea of holding out a sound was hard to grasp let alone produce or listen for. And it's still difficult now. --I pretty much gave up on trying to teach myself japanese, though, because- again- I had no one to tell me if I was saying shit right or if answer the many questions that I had. It got too frustrating... x_x

I agree (Hi, I'm new by the way :rofl:),, but I also think that holding back on the vowels makes the language more beautiful...
When I first heard Finnish on Youtube.. I was like: Wth is this?? It sounds so cool:p..

-xxx-