All you need to know about Finnish language...

If you don't belive me ask Matias. When I was in Helsinki he and his mates ''tested'' me with some finnish expressions and they freaked out when I prononunced them :lol:

EDIT: He may not remember as he was ''slightly'' drunk, so if you don't go ask Jonathan about ''nu fieg et no till a'' or ''saatana vittu perkele saatana'' (I'm sure I've fucked up the writing, but you get me :lol:).

I think i remember :lol: Yeah, his Finnish pronouncing was flawless...he had really easy to pronounce our Swedish dialect too! It was freaking us all out. :lol:

Who's Matias and Jonathan? XD

I am Matias. One of my friends is Jonathan :)

I've only 'discovered' Harri Olli recently,, but I absolutely adore Finnish skijumpers and Nordic Combiners :rofl: (Anssi Koivuranta :p)...
So I don't really know the history but I do know that Harri appears to be the "enfant terrible" of the Finnish national team :rofl:..
I don't think he'll be happy with this song being made for him :p...
And thank you by the way :D.. it was a great help (and a great laugh :rofl:)..
-xxx-

"Harri takes after Matti Nykänen" part tells it all. Harri seems to follow foot steps of one of the most famous Finnish skijumper Matti Nykänen. Nykänen was famous of his stunts and alcohol usage already during his courier but after he quit he has recorded an album (he can't sing), stripped (uhhuh), been public violent on off relationship for years, been in the jail etc.

I think i remember :lol: Yeah, his Finnish pronouncing was flawless...he had really easy to pronounce our Swedish dialect too! It was freaking us all out. :lol:

Well that is useful skill :lol: But what I have noticed in my workplace that Estonian people, Spaniards and Japanese pick up our pronunciation best.

"Harri takes after Matti Nykänen" part tells it all. Harri seems to follow foot steps of one of the most famous Finnish skijumper Matti Nykänen. Nykänen was famous of his stunts and alcohol usage already during his courier but after he quit he has recorded an album (he can't sing), stripped (uhhuh), been public violent on off relationship for years, been in the jail etc.

Seriously?? Ow wauw,, sounds like quite the exciting life :rofl:.. Thanks for sharing :D..
By the way: How do you say "Pick the day" in Finnish (Carpe Diem)??
-xxx-

Dont really know anything about Finnish but in the more northern part of Sweden like Haparanda where everyone has a thick Finnish-ee accent. Its funny but I never really learned anything Finnish yet its totally diffrent from Swedish-Norwigen-Danish which are more like accents to each other. perhaps in el futuro ill pick up somthing finnish.

Yknow, I'm thinking/dreaming of moving to Finland (or Paris but that's a different story:p).. what would be the best place to move to if you like having lots of people around but also the possibility to go to huge forests or something??

And I really find it very cool that everyone is willing to help you like this if you have a Finnish problem/question :D... Jaayy.. 3 hurrays (spelling??) for you guys :rofl:
-xxx-

Well one of the best things in Finland (IMO) is that almost anywhere you go, there is always some forest around. I can go by car from my home town to Helsinki and all the way I always see some trees around. But cant really say what would the best place to move.

Naw, you're just pronouncing 'love' wrong. It would be either the sound in "thought" or "hole", no phonemic difference between them in either language (although in finnish the vowel quality is sometimes correlated with its length).

The vowels in finnish and spanish ARE mostly the same, however, bar vowel length - and the same can be said of "most" consonants - again, bar length - exceptions being more pronounced in european spanish. I can't think of any consonant present in finnish which's not also in spanish.

Actually, the o sound in all three of those words are different. (this english pronunciation the only thing I'm sure about being that I'm from california. Where normal english is spoken. XP) Love is more like "Luv," with an "uhhh" sound. Thought is more like "thaw-t," with an "aww" sound- just like in "awww, shit!" Haha. And hole is very much like "owe."

The way that I'm familiar with the spanish o sound is similiar to "owe." Just a bit softer. The first spanish word I think of with an o sound is "pero" and that o is hard to convey through text... To me, anyway. It's just like our "owe" sound but with your lips less rounded, right?

This is a very interesting conversation... Either way, you guys are all much, much better when it comes to foreign language than me. Other than english, my knowledge of other languages that I've studied is shaky at best. x_x

I am Matias. One of my friends is Jonathan :)

Ah, I see. Well my name is also Jonathan- or just jon- so that should be easy enough to remember, eh?

Btw, how do all of you finns do with the english accent when speaking english? And are you guys more for brittish english or american english?

EDIT: Also, what is the finnish word for oatmeal? A friend of mine's grandpa apparently was finnish and taught her the word for it when she was like four, but now she can't remember, haha.

Actually, the o sound in all three of those words are different. (this english pronunciation the only thing I'm sure about being that I'm from california. Where normal english is spoken. XP) Love is more like "Luv," with an "uhhh" sound. Thought is more like "thaw-t," with an "aww" sound- just like in "awww, shit!" Haha. And hole is very much like "owe."

What I was trying to say is that in spanish vowels are said only by one "letter" for example, speaking in spanish, the letter "a" it's said only "a" but in english it's "ei" (pronounced in spanish), those are two letters, or the letter "i" in spanish it's just that "i" but in english it's "ai" so that's the thing, in spanish and finnish vowels are pronounced the same :) By only one "letter".

The way that I'm familiar with the spanish o sound is similiar to "owe." Just a bit softer. The first spanish word I think of with an o sound is "pero" and that o is hard to convey through text... To me, anyway. It's just like our "owe" sound but with your lips less rounded, right?

This is a very interesting conversation... Either way, you guys are all much, much better when it comes to foreign language than me. Other than english, my knowledge of other languages that I've studied is shaky at best. x_x

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. When I said there was no phonemic difference, I meant that these languages don't make a distinction between these sounds as far as meaning is concerned. That's not the case in english, for example - can't think of any examples right now but I know they exist. The point is that if you mispronounce the 'o', you'll sound accented, but hardly 'wrong'.

The sound of o-as-in-love doesn't exist in either, so, I couldn't say a thing about it. It could be mixed up with ö in finnish, perhaps, but again, that would sound heavily accented.

About the sound of 'pero', it's not that there is less lip-rounding - they're both close-mid back rounded vowels. It's just that it's usually diphtongized, with a semi-vowel following it - the short version of the u as in 'put'.

Btw, how do all of you finns do with the english accent when speaking english? And are you guys more for brittish english or american english?

EDIT: Also, what is the finnish word for oatmeal? A friend of mine's grandpa apparently was finnish and taught her the word for it when she was like four, but now she can't remember, haha.

Well, some of us speak english with finnish accent, meaning they pronounce the english words in finnish style, saying them as they are written. Or almost all the words. I think our accent is mostly something between brittish and american. They show a lot of american tv-series here, so I think mostly we take incluence from american english.

And finnish word for oatmeal is kaurahiutale

I would say American English because that is what we hear more. When I was in the high school they taught us primary British English, but I don't know which one they teach now days.

oatmeal (ground oat groats) = kaurahiutale
oatmeal (porridge) = kaurapuuro

This is kind of redundant now, but I think what might help people trying to learn finnish is to always remember that when reading it, each letter is only one sound. So like it was mentioned earlier, each vowel will almost always have the same sound. And when you get double vowels, you just lengthen the sound (whether it's a cowel or consonant).

English can be way more confusing with how each vowel depends so much on where it is in the word and what's around it and sometimes just the word itself without knowing otherwise. It can often not be consistent at all. But that's why those who speak languages like Spanish and Japanese have it a bit easier, as it is much closer.

In japanese, you literally form words through the combination of different sounds that never change, only the order they are placed in. And with Spanish, the vowel sounds themselves are very similar. Among other things, with both (and other languages).

What I was trying to say is that in spanish vowels are said only by one "letter" for example, speaking in spanish, the letter "a" it's said only "a" but in english it's "ei" (pronounced in spanish), those are two letters, or the letter "i" in spanish it's just that "i" but in english it's "ai" so that's the thing, in spanish and finnish vowels are pronounced the same :) By only one "letter".

Ah yes, sorry. I misunderstood. So far, all the languages I've seen are this way, with maybe the only exception being german. But then, the vowels are still the same, but sometimes consonants are pronounced different. Like s, depending on whether or not it's at the beginning of a word or not. Or g if it's at the end or not.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. When I said there was no phonemic difference, I meant that these languages don't make a distinction between these sounds as far as meaning is concerned. That's not the case in english, for example - can't think of any examples right now but I know they exist. The point is that if you mispronounce the 'o', you'll sound accented, but hardly 'wrong'.

The sound of o-as-in-love doesn't exist in either, so, I couldn't say a thing about it. It could be mixed up with ö in finnish, perhaps, but again, that would sound heavily accented.

About the sound of 'pero', it's not that there is less lip-rounding - they're both close-mid back rounded vowels. It's just that it's usually diphtongized, with a semi-vowel following it - the short version of the u as in 'put'.

As far as examples between two different words that if you mispronounce the o as in "thought" or "hole" they would be wrong- I can think of two off the top of my head.

Haul and hole
far and for

The same does apply in spanish and finnish, doesn't it? Like (in spanish) simply changing an a to an o at the end of the word would change the gender, correct? I don't know about finnish, but I would assume that if a foreigner mispronounced a word with a y for a u sound, that could change the word. Is that also correct?

Again, sorry for misunderstanding before.

English can be way more confusing with how each vowel depends so much on where it is in the word and what's around it and sometimes just the word itself without knowing otherwise.

Haha, balogna and colonel...

That's what makes english such an interesting language, though. XP

Now, in regards to kaurahiutale... I'm under the impression that it would be pronounced: cowww-rah-hee-ooh-tah-lay
With the kau part held out longer because there are two letters but pronounced as one sound. Correct? And the i and u in hiutale are pronounced seperate from eachother, right?

Thanks guys, this is so fucking intense.=D

Last edited by a moderator:
The same does apply in spanish and finnish, doesn't it? Like (in spanish) simply changing an a to an o at the end of the word would change the gender, correct? I don't know about finnish, but I would assume that if a foreigner mispronounced a word with a y for a u sound, that could change the word. Is that also correct?
I'm not sure if understood all that discussion but I just add something, lol. All Finnish pronouns are gender neutral. If you change a to o in the end of the word you usually get completely different word. Like pala/palo => piece/fire.
Probably also u=>y can change the word in some cases but I can't figure out any example right now. Rule of thumb would be that changing the vowel or pronouncing it wrong usually changes the word. But changing u=>y, a=> ä, o=>ö you get ""drunken" funny words. Alasti/älästi (naked), olut/ölyt (beer).

Now, in regards to kaurahiutale... I'm under the impression that it would be pronounced: cowww-rah-hee-ooh-tah-lay
With the kau part held out longer because there are two letters but pronounced as one sound.
No, a and u are pronounced separately, we don't pronounce vowels as a one sound, they are always pronounced separately. And it's not that long either. Kau is pronounced like cow (['kaʊ]) but it's short cow. Okay doesn't make that much sense, but pronunciation is hard to explain, lol.

And the i and u in hiutale are pronounced seperate from eachother, right?
Yes. but I'm not sure what "hee-ooh" should sound like, anyway they look kind on long. Vowels in "hiu" are always shot ones.

Try to look this pages: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/finnish.pronunciation.html, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/suomi/fon.html if they help.

Do you always stress the first syllable of Finnish names?
Yes. This applies to all words, the main stress is on the first syllable.

I have a question about this piece of lyric from a Cadacross song.
"Raivoavan härän lailla taisteluun mä käyn
ja huudan "Kuole Saatana!"

Help with translation is highly appreciated. :D