All you need to know about Finnish language...

Ajem ä hjud fägät pliz rejp maj fejs

--9596-1312168267-7.jpg

s

Yep, they do. :( People here can't write without mistakes in their own mother tongue, let's don't talk about speaking :zipit:
Sorry for pressing the "d" key, instead of the "s" one :cry: They are next to each other and I wrote this from my BlackBerry..

That's basically same as typing Mr S's name wrong! Do you realize how bad that must've felt?!

Alright, two fast questions:
1. Musta lumi is black snow, right?
2. I was translating one text with my teacher and we came to the name Espoo.. Okay, I translated it like Ezbu, which is the Bulgarian translation and she was "Kyllä, kyllä.. Espoo is a neighbourhood in Helsinki blah blah blah" So my question is: Wasn't Espoo a TOWN :rofl:

Yeah, "musta lumi" is black snow and Espoo is a city near Helsinki. For some reason I've always considered Vantaa and Espoo as a part of Helsinki even though they are individual cities.

Anybody read "Kalevala"? Your opinion, please?

Cause, I think it's the most fascinating book ever!

I did :D It is pure magic- I loved it so much <3
It's the Finnish national epic, so it's long as hell, but don't let that stop you- read it! Here are my favorite parts of Kalevala:

Thus the ancient Wainamoinen,
In his copper-banded vessel,
Left his tribe in Kalevala,
Sailing o'er the rolling billows,
Sailing through the azure vapors,
Sailing through the dusk of evening,
Sailing to the fiery sunset,
To the higher-landed regions,
To the lower verge of heaven;
Quickly gained the far horizon,
Gained the purple-colored harbor.
There his bark be firmly anchored,
Rested in his boat of copper;
But be left his harp of magic,
Left his songs and wisdom-sayings,
To the lasting joy of Suomi.

That one's from Rune L- it's at the end. Here comes the best part of the epilogue:

Be this as it may, my people,
This may point the way to others,
To the singers better gifted,
For the good of future ages,
For the coming generations,
For the rising folk of Suomi.

Again- it's at the end. I hope I'll learn Finnish extremely well- I want to know it like my mother tongue. It would be so epic to read Kalevala in Finnish- sure, we have the translation, but those are just words- the real magic behind it all is called Finnish language. However, here you go
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/
The entire Kalevala in English :)

Kiitos paljon iPot :wave: So Espoo really is a city :lol:

Oh I'm glad we think the same about this.
I read it, and I read it twice, in my language and in english.
It really is pure magic, like you said. I know that is Finnish national epic, and I have so many favourite parts, that it would be too much to post them here.

Thank you for the link, I will probably read it again, and again, and again...

Since when has Kalevala been available in languages other than Finnish? :OMG:

Funny thing that people from other countries read it, when I for example haven't read it. Only parts from here and there when I was something like 7 and school teachers read them, etc.

I only know few parts of it. We were forced to read some parts of it in school and something like 5-6 years ago I played in a local theatre the guy who killed Lemminkäinen.

Well, it may sound weird but even though I have never been to Finland, I acctually happen to worship that place (for many reasons), so I really was interested in Finnish literature, so I found Kalevala in a library and read it twice.

And about other languages, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kalevala_translations

I read it Serbian national epic in school because it was obligation, but I read it Kalevala because I wanted. That's the difference.

Since when has Kalevala been available in languages other than Finnish? :OMG:

Funny thing that people from other countries read it, when I for example haven't read it. Only parts from here and there when I was something like 7 and school teachers read them, etc.

Well, Kalevala is translated in a lot of languages- the link up there is the English translation. I also know about the Spanish translation and the Bulgarian one. Bodomholic said, that it's translated in Serbian. I think it was translated in Arabic, too, but I'm not so sure about it. :)

You Finns don't realize what you guys are missing- Kalevala is not only some national epic, that you studied at school. I'm a huge fan of literature and I love all those ancient Greek epics, but I find Kalevala way more interesting and gripping. You should be so proud, that THIS is Finnish.

Kalevala, Sibelius, Nokia, Angry Birds, Northern Lights, snow, nature...
You have no idea how lucky you guys are :)

Lol, the guy who was the teacher of the guy who composed Kalevala was from the same municipality I live. Anyways, it's a little bit shame how that one guy got all the credit from Kalevala and in fact he didn't even write the majority of stuff that's in it, he just roamed around Finland and gathered a shitload of poems and stuff. And yes, I don't remember the dude's name.