Alright guys, I want in...

Edgecrusher

God To The Godless
Nov 3, 2002
Cincinnati
www.cd-tracker.com
This game has intrigued me way too much, i can't stand it any longer!

Although I fear that my computer, now over 6 years old, is too "old" to be able to support this, let alone any, game.

What are the minimal/recommended requirements to run this game both on and offline?

From the side of the box:

Minimum:
-Pentium or AMD 1.0GHz
-128mb RAM on Win98 & ME/256mb on Win2000 & XP
-5.5gb free space
-Cd-Rom or DVD-Rom: 8x
-Audio system: Windows DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card
-Video system: Radeon 8000 or Superior, or Geforce 2 or superior, 64mb of video memory or superior
-DirectX version 9.0b (included on game disc)

Recommended:
- 1.2 GHz Pentium/AMD
-256mb RAM
-Cd-Rom or DVD-Rom: 16x
(others are the same as for minimum)

Now to be honest, I'd ignore those recommended requirements. My old (well I had it up until yesterday hehe) 1ghz 512 RAM really wasn't enough, even with everything on lowest settings at 800x600 you could only play Deathmatch smoothly, rarely Onslaught. It may seem a bit extreme but if you want to play online you really need 1gig ram and a good processor (I don't know which is more important as I got them at the same time, 512 ram may be enough) and something better than 56k for online. Still my Cd-rom is 8x and there's no problem there.

You don't need a gig of ram to play, you don't even need 512. I've got 384Mb of 2700PC stock ram, athlon 1.6, geforce fx5200....and I play at 800x600 with most things on normal and get playable framerates on and offline.....though busy onslaught and assault matches can get pretty slow. The ram is a tricky issue because people with 1gig report that 2k4 uses up to 700mb of RAM when running, but to be honest, everything loads perfectly fast for me even with just 384. I'd reccommend 512 of course, but 1gig is by no means a requirement. I'd say it's mmore important to have a good graphics card than a great processor, but then again, a lower end processor will limit the performance of a higher end card anyway, so it may be just as easy to have an average card and faster processor.

Okay, listen to Sculpted about the ram, I wasn't too sure since 512 gave me horrendous loading times - probably due to other things.

Screw what the box says... I'd say at least a P3 1ghz, with 256mb of ram with some 5200/9200 graphics card would be the least you'd want to use.

A P4 or Celeron 2ghz, with 512 mb ram and a ATI 9600 or nVidia 5600 would be a good system to run it decently.

To preload all textures, all skins and everything else, yes, you will want 1g of ram and the fastest video card you can get your hands on.

My 3.2 P4 with 9800xt runs 1600x1200 maximum holy shit detail levels smoothly without any glitches on even 24 player servers... though server lag seems to be more of a problem with so many players...

I don't even see a need for the newer graphics cards that will be coming out shortly... massive overkill for at least the next 6 months to a year.

NeverDying said:
I've got an AMD athlon 1800 xp+
256 mo ram
40 GB hard drive

It's really smooth, no lag at all
Yeah I have an AMD 1800
512mb Ram
Geforce4 card

no lag with everything set on the highest quality and at 1124x864

:D

Tanith said:
I don't think he's running it yet :p
I installed it, tried to run it, but it says:

"Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag and enabling Direct3D Acceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Oh well

How would i go about joining the clan? Ive got all the verisons of UT so far so, im not bad, not great though but still, i can hone my skills before attempting to get in...

Ive got a beast of a computer so im fine in that area

Wow, Can't believe that I only just saw that there is a UM clan for UT2k4.

I have always loved UT, still playing it to this day. I was part of a small 'cult-like' community that hung on for a long time but has dissapeared lately.

I don't have the gear to run it yet (I even get video lag on vanilla UT at the moment.), but as soon as my broken wrist heals, I get a new animal of a computer, ADSL and the actual game (hoping for June). I would like to join when this happens (if I join you can throw things at me!), Metal and UT, Muhahahahaha.

Hail clan =UM=