Am i the only one who sets his 6505 like this? Am i crazy?

TBDMbro604

Bury me in sin
Jul 16, 2012
Massachusetts
I got my 6505 and rectifier 4x12 a few weeks ago. i've tried both channels, but i always end up using the green

with the settings: (crunch on bright on)
pregain 7.5
low 7
mid 5
high 6
resonance 8
presence 6.5

i use no boost, no nothing just me the guitar and the amp. i find it has so much more beef and thickness than the red channel, it just sounds more brutal to my ears. the red almost seems thin and lacking in low end, and too fizzy compared. and i play pretty heavily distorted, "brutal" stuff a la the black dahlia murder, bolt thrower, hour of penance, through the eyes of the dead, etc

is there something wrong with the head? because i've seen many people on forums say the exact opposite about the 2 channels.....

I'm just worried there's something wrong with my red channel since i prefer the green over it so much, and most of the 5150/6505 owners i know, who play metal, use the red. and i'm as big a brutal metal guy as anyone

I'm just worried there's something wrong with my red channel since i prefer the green over it so much, and most of the 5150/6505 owners i know, who play metal, use the red. and i'm as big a brutal metal guy as anyone

Do you track album material or just gig?

I just jam with my band and make covers

we aren't even gigging yet

That's expected. As someone who has used the 5150 and Mesa cabinet for a few years, your experience sounds about right. I personally think that the Red channel with an 808 in front of it sounds amazing on tape even completely raw, but it may not be your type of thing. If when you jam with friends you prefer the meat then there's nothing wrong with that. The Green channel is quite a bit darker and more full than the Red channel, you might just get lost in the mix when you get on stage though. Time to buy an 808 and switch to the Red!

That's expected. As someone who has used the 5150 and Mesa cabinet for a few years, your experience sounds about right. I personally think that the Red channel with an 808 in front of it sounds amazing on tape even completely raw, but it may not be your type of thing. If when you jam with friends you prefer the meat then there's nothing wrong with that. The Green channel is quite a bit darker and more full than the Red channel, you might just get lost in the mix when you get on stage though. Time to buy an 808 and switch to the Red!

would a ts9 work just as well? more affordable

I find that it has a lot to do with the guitar. In general I always use red with a TS in front but I had a situation in the studio where someone's guitar sounded better on the green channel, yet the other guitarists in the same band sounded better with the red channel. /shrug

Green channel is real open and full. I've always struggled to get enough gain out of it though and end up moving over to the red channel. Then I move back to the green channel as the red channel is too compressed lol.

I find that it has a lot to do with the guitar. In general I always use red with a TS in front but I had a situation in the studio where someone's guitar sounded better on the green channel, yet the other guitarists in the same band sounded better with the red channel. /shrug

i use an rg550 with an emg 81 in the bridge

TS9's are way to noisy, get a OD808 or if you want less colorization an OD9+ Pro. If you don't have a noise gate your gonna need one. Cheapest option that still works is the MXR noise clamp, best option is probably the ISP decimator.

*sigh* everyone's telling me i need all these extras but i have no money left from buying this rig.

quite frankly, i love the tone without anything but the amp. but once i scrape some money together i guess i'll try an od808 just for the hell of it.

i've only cranked it up to 2.5-3 and haven't had any severe noise issues

*sigh* everyone's telling me i need all these extras but i have no money left from buying this rig.

quite frankly, i love the tone without anything but the amp. but once i scrape some money together i guess i'll try an od808 just for the hell of it.

i've only cranked it up to 2.5-3 and haven't had any severe noise issues

Adding an OD creates severe noise but makes the amp sound tighter and smoother. I can't play any amp without them TBH. I assume your playing with a EMG 81 equipped guitar because otherwise the 6505 is way to loose to play metal, of course just my opinion.

Adding an OD creates severe noise but makes the amp sound tighter and smoother. I can't play any amp without them TBH. I assume your playing with a EMG 81 equipped guitar because otherwise the 6505 is way to loose to play metal, of course just my opinion.

it's actually tight now. well, it might just be my perspective because my last amp was a peavey bandit 112. this is my first "real" amp. and yes i do use an emg 81. but the word "smooth" i don't like. the tone i'm going for (and pretty much have) is a raw balls-out wall of sound type distortion.

thing is if i come up with 300 bucks to drop on an 808 and a noise gate and i liked my tone better before, i'm out 300 bucks