Amon Amarth Studio Updates 2012

I agree, Hel is awesome.
I'd love a Johan-only version though.

As for the influence songs... not a fan, at all. Too weak. Drums are too low, and the guitars are sounding waaaay too weak for my taste.

I agree, Hel is awesome.

As for the influence songs... not a fan, at all. Too weak. Drums are too low, and the guitars are sounding waaaay too weak for my taste.

I agree the drums and guitars are too low on the influence songs. I will just stick to buying the regular jewel case version of the album this coming Tuesday.

Warriors of the north gave me such a case of goosebumps that even the beard bristles on my cheek stood at attention. I think I felt a tear as well. Bloody awesome album closer.

You too? I had watery eyes at the end, when old and weak they stand in the front line to meet their destiny. To add to that, when I was listening to it I was visiting a Viking archeological gallery looking at the axes, ornaments, etc of warriors long dead and gone. Very poignant moment that made me tear up.

"As the flames of warfare
Rage higher!
We feel our destinies embrace
We are raging men of an old empire(?) !
Now, we can see, Valhalla's gates!"

OMG - to me HEL is Amon Amarth's worst song ever.

What is that????

Never thought Valkyries Ride could ever lose its last places in my personal ranking.

OMG - to me HEL is Amon Amarth's worst song ever.

What is that????

Never thought Valkyries Ride could ever lose its last places in my personal ranking.

Looks like Hel is going to be one of those songs people really like or really hate. No gray area. I don't think anyone likes Valkyrie's Ride so, by default, Hel is better. :lol:

I agree, Hel is awesome.

I've listened to them all now, and I think they're hilarious! They sound EXACTLY like the bands they are imitating. Not amazing songs or anything, but a very funny gimmick :headbang:
For those who don't know, that's Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Motorhead and Judas Priest. Makes me wish they had done something with Iron Maiden!

I've listened to them all now, and I think they're hilarious! They sound EXACTLY like the bands they are imitating. Not amazing songs or anything, but a very funny gimmick :headbang:
For those who don't know, that's Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Motorhead and Judas Priest. Makes me wish they had done something with Iron Maiden!

Exactly! Cliche filled, tongue-in-cheek, not to be taken seriously, old school metal! They nailed it perfectly. Those who weren't around in the 70s or 80s probably don't appreciate it as much. Sure, you can listen to the songs from that time period, but living in the culture was something else. Good times. Good times. :cool:

Exactly! Cliche filled, tongue-in-cheek, not to be taken seriously, old school metal! They nailed it perfectly. Those who weren't around in the 70s or 80s probably don't appreciate it as much. Sure, you can listen to the songs from that time period, but living in the culture was something else. Good times. Good times. :cool:

I dunno, I'm a bit too young as well.
Who sings on Satan Rising? Not Johan I'm assuming?
And after a few more listens, Burning Anvil of Steel is really growning on me!

That Hel was not going to get much love from most AA fans. It's just not a AA song. It's def meant for Messiah's voice and written like Candlemass but i must say for some odd reason i love the lyrics in the chorus. Hel should of been a bonus track and they should of stuck one more killer brutal track instead of it. An as much as I love We Shall Destroy, i'm surprised Coming of the Tide is not getting more love cause i mean it's pure brutal AA at it's best. I knew Warriors would get the Victorious March feel and yes it better be a live track but I want Coming of the Tide done live too. I mean that solo is blistering and their is so much potential headbanging that can be done to this song. It has the same power or even more power than Live for the Kill. I get chills everytime I hear it!

Loving this album, Surtur Rising was just "so-so" by AA standards (especially (fixed) considering how awesome the 2 previous albums where). But I think this album will rank among my favorites, really loving "As Loke Falls", "Under Siege", "We Shall Destroy" and "Warriors Of The North".

"Surtur Rising", to me, was fucking awesome. I should point out that I do not own the other Amon Amarth CDs. I happened to stumble upon them (Amon Amarth) two weeks back, and I had to get the Surtur Rising CD after I had heard "Slaves of Fear", which, due to my fierce Atheism, just fell inlove with. - However one song doesn't make one album, but the album overall was fucking awesome. It is well thought-through, well composed, and the storytelling is top-notch. Saying that Surtur Rising was "so-so" is to shoot... I'll use a different expression... - is to AXE oneself in the chest, HARD.

Sure, we all have different tastes, as can clearly be noticed when discussing "HEL", but to call Surtur Rising a "so-so" album is to either a; have a severe hearing problem. Or b: Actively trying to not like the album. ...Or C: The album actually IS "so-so", in comparison to the other albums, which means... that I have most definitely missed out on a lot of good music.

"HEL" made me read the Gylfaginning by Snorre Sturluson, to give myself more background into the story that was being told. And after doing so, I came to not just love the song itself, but also love the story. - Do yourselves a favor and read this while listening through "HEL" a few times.

Here's something one can check up. Click & Click

Here's a snippet:
High says that Odin sent the gods to gather the children and bring them to him. Upon their arrival, Odin threw Jörmungandr into "that deep sea that lies round all lands," Odin threw Hel into Niflheim, and bestowed upon her authority over nine worlds, in that she must "administer board and lodging to those sent to her, and that is those who die of sickness or old age." High details that in this realm Hel has "great Mansions" with extremely high walls and immense gates, a hall called Éljúðnir, a dish called "Hunger," a knife called "Famine," the servant Ganglati (Old Norse "lazy walker"[7]), the serving-maid Ganglöt (also "lazy walker"[7]), the entrance threshold "Stumbling-block," the bed "Sick-bed," and the curtains "Gleaming-bale." High describes Hel as "half black and half flesh-coloured," adding that this makes her easily recognizable, and furthermore that Hel is "rather downcast and fierce-looking."[8]

I also ended up writing a lengthy review for "Deceiver Of The Gods".
I ended up scoring the new CD fairly high.

It is a damn shame that Amon Amarth aren't that popular here in Sweden.

"Surtur Rising", to me, was fucking awesome. I should point out that I do not own the other Amon Amarth CDs. I happened to stumble upon them (Amon Amarth) two weeks back, and I had to get the Surtur Rising CD after I had heard "Slaves of Fear", which, due to my fierce Atheism, just fell inlove with. - However one song doesn't make one album, but the album overall was fucking awesome. It is well thought-through, well composed, and the storytelling is top-notch. Saying that Surtur Rising was "so-so" is to shoot... I'll use a different expression... - is to AXE oneself in the chest, HARD.

Sure, we all have different tastes, as can clearly be noticed when discussing "HEL", but to call Surtur Rising a "so-so" album is to either a; have a severe hearing problem. Or b: Actively trying to not like the album. ...Or C: The album actually IS "so-so", in comparison to the other albums, which means... that I have most definitely missed out on a lot of good music.

"HEL" made me read the Gylfaginning by Snorre Sturluson, to give myself more background into the story that was being told. And after doing so, I came to not just love the song itself, but also love the story. - Do yourselves a favor and read this while listening through "HEL" a few times.

Here's something one can check up. Click & Click

Here's a snippet:
High says that Odin sent the gods to gather the children and bring them to him. Upon their arrival, Odin threw Jörmungandr into "that deep sea that lies round all lands," Odin threw Hel into Niflheim, and bestowed upon her authority over nine worlds, in that she must "administer board and lodging to those sent to her, and that is those who die of sickness or old age." High details that in this realm Hel has "great Mansions" with extremely high walls and immense gates, a hall called Éljúðnir, a dish called "Hunger," a knife called "Famine," the servant Ganglati (Old Norse "lazy walker"[7]), the serving-maid Ganglöt (also "lazy walker"[7]), the entrance threshold "Stumbling-block," the bed "Sick-bed," and the curtains "Gleaming-bale." High describes Hel as "half black and half flesh-coloured," adding that this makes her easily recognizable, and furthermore that Hel is "rather downcast and fierce-looking."[8]

I also ended up writing a lengthy review for "Deceiver Of The Gods".
I ended up scoring the new CD fairly high.

It is a damn shame that Amon Amarth aren't that popular here in Sweden.

First, welcome to the world of Amon Amarth. When you listen to the AA haters out there you are usually listening to people who are just looking for new riffs and could care less about lyrics, storytelling, history, mythology, etc. True Amon Amarth fans, like you'll find on this forum, do very much care about all facets of the music and storytelling.

As far as the song Hel is concerned it does not fit into the typical AA style and, therefore, has drawn mixed reactions. I too like it for the story. Johan Hegg writes great lyrics. Here are a few of my favorite AA songs that tell a wonderful tale.

Hermod's Ride to Hel: Loke's Treachery Part I, Tock's Taunt: Loke's Treachery Part II, Fate of Norns, Across the Rainbow Bridge, Embrace of the Endless Ocean, Thousand Years of Oppression, Amon Amarth, The Last Stand of Frej, Victorious March, Twilight of the Thundergod, etc.

First, welcome to the world of Amon Amarth. When you listen to the AA haters out there you are usually listening to people who are just looking for new riffs and could care less about lyrics, storytelling, history, mythology, etc. True Amon Amarth fans, like you'll find on this forum, do very much care about all facets of the music and storytelling.

As far as the song Hel is concerned it does not fit into the typical AA style and, therefore, has drawn mixed reactions. I too like it for the story. Johan Hegg writes great lyrics. Here are a few of my favorite AA songs that tell a wonderful tale.

Hermod's Ride to Hel: Loke's Treachery Part I, Tock's Taunt: Loke's Treachery Part II, Fate of Norns, Across the Rainbow Bridge, Embrace of the Endless Ocean, Thousand Years of Oppression, Amon Amarth, The Last Stand of Frej, Victorious March, Twilight of the Thundergod, etc.

Thank you. I am liking it so far.

Yes, I had my hunch about that people would care more about one aspect than the overall work of a track, which is a damn shame.
-
I don't believe in the "True fan" thing. Never have, never will. There are fans who take all aspects into consideration, and those who do not. They are all fans, no matter what.
-
Yes, "HEL" is definitely different from anything I have heard from Amon Amarth. Then again, I haven't heard much, as was made clear before, but I will definitely get all of their CDs after getting completely overwhelmed by Amon Amarth's work for the past 2 weeks.
-
I will make sure to give them all a listen.
-

For those who want to read my review, feel free to check it here.
http://yagamiinmetal.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/deceiver-of-the-gods-review/
-

There is something I don't understand. Are they really that little famous in Sweden? I mean, you, Yagami, are from Sweden, you are even interested in Metal and only two weeks ago you stumpled upon them? Obviously in fact they aren't quite popular there. How is this possible?:confused: I mean, if you was interested in Hip Hop or something, well, I could follow, but seems that this is not the case, and besides I even know two guys who in fact mainly prefer Hip Hop but at least they know Amon Amarth (though I myself was amazed about this). Strange. So what could be the reasons?

Hmm kinda strange yes but I think they're really less popular in Sweden than in Germany for example (maybe that was one of the reasons why it was Bloodshed over Bochum rather than Bloodshed over Stockholm/Göteborg...). If you look at their chart entries on Wikipedia they're higher in Germany or at least the same as in Sweden and they've been longer in charts over here.

Also, on pretty much EVERY concert/festival I see at least some people wearing AA Shirts. Even on the medieval/folk Festival I've been at the last two days where the only band playing metal were Eluveitie I've seen a lot of AA shirts (dozens of them).

That's a very good point Thimon, seems to be very similar as with Motorhead, where actually they were not so 'popular' back in the days in the UK, which is their country of origin, and in Germany they were more or less already 'Gods', with sold out concerts and very good sales, in terms of cds, lps and merch.

They are indeed more popular in Germany than in Sweden. But for every new record they are getting a bigger fanbase in Sweden and they play more gigs here now than before. I didn´t hear about them before 2003, between vs the world & fate of norns (really getting in to them 2006) and I have been listening to metal since 1991 :oops:
Think of all cheap the arrival of the fimbul Winter demos I could have bought in 1994 if I knew.... :lol:

Well it's all about networking, and let's be honest back in the days where internet was nothing as it is today, at least myself I didn't have internet at all, it was very difficult to find information about bands and the scene in general, unless you knew certain people, within the network. I was 'lucky' enough when a very good friend of mine, who used to work as a radio producer back in the days (1999) got the Avenger and by the he pressed play it just blew my brains!!!!Next day I went and bought the digipack version and the rest is history....I was only 15...

Amon Amarth are getting bigger and more famous indeed over here, but Death Metal in general has a fairly low fan base in this country these days.

I mean when for example Hypocrisy shows up every now and then people go like "yeah, I might go"
As to my answer then is "you MIGHT go?"

It is strange for me, but at least they are playing fairly often so I get to see them :headbang: