Amorphis Gigs

I'm very interested to find out what they play on the 19th. I'm assuming about 4 songs from Circle, would you say? Best I think would be Shades of Gray (as it's already proven to be awesome live), Enchanted by the Moon, Nightbird's Song (can't wait to see how this gets pulled off live!), and obviously they'll bust out Hopeless Days.
I'm going for five songs: Shades of Gray, Mission (one of Esa's favourites), The Wanderer (iTunes single), Hopeless Days and Nightbird's Song.

Yeah, I just think Mission, Wanderer, AND Hopeless Days is too much ballad for one set, since they're of course going to keep House of Sleep and Silver Bride in there most likely. I really hope they drop some of the more subdued tracks off TBOT. Does anyone really want to keep seeing You I Need live? I wish I could make their setlists, dammit! I think it would be cool if they played a few interesting ones from Elegy and Eclipse, since I've been reminded of those two albums quite heavily while voraciously listening to Circle since it leaked. My ideal Amorphis 2013 headlining set would look something like this:

Shades of Gray
Hopeless Days
Better Unborn
Enchanted by the Moon
I of Crimson Blood
Alone
Narrow Path
Song of the Troubled One
Into Hiding
Brother Moon
Majestic Beast
Nightbird's Song
From Earth I Rose
Crack in a Stone
Drowned Maid
The Way
--------------------
Two Moons
My Kantele

Obviously this will never happen, but one can dream. I think that would be an amazing set, with some thematically/lyrically connected songs (Better Unborn, Hopeless Days, Enchanted by the Moon) and songs that are essentially representative of their entire career (yeah, throw in anything off Karelian Isthmus!). Some songs I really wish they'd bring back are Two Moons (one of their best choruses ever, don't know why this never gets played live) and Brother Moon. I really hope From Earth I Rose stays in the set because it's probably my favourite song off Skyforger (and to think Tomi Jousten wrote it!). Anyway, I just hope they spice up the setlist in general and bring back a few lesser played songs. Can't wait to see what they go with.

Tuuletar said:
It's not about any gig but that pre-listening session; what kind of events these are generally, is it only playing the album or is the band present as well? Sounds interesting in a way, however I'm not sure will I really drop in there...

Did you go, and was there anything special?

Some songs I really wish they'd bring back are Two Moons (one of their best choruses ever, don't know why this never gets played live)

Your post made me check the setlists I have taped to an inconspicuous place in my apartment as reminders of some of my favorite Amo gigs ever. A third of them features Two Moons. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

I actually went to there, since it didn't distracted my scheludes in any way. Not anything extraordinary though, the whole album was played few times and I really liked what I heard. Especially Shades of Gray, Mission and Nightbird's Song sounded great, but I think I fell in love with Narrowpath (then again I guessed that I would like the most folky song of the album)...

And the funny thing was that I and a girl who hanged out with me won that Amorphis-related music quiz. Our team was actually the only one who got all of them right (they said that nobody else even didn't figured out the answer for the last rebus, heh). I don't usually have a luck in this kind of things, but this time the prizes were pretty good. :D

IMG_1603_zpsef4f1a68.jpg

nobody else even didn't figured out the answer for the last rebus, heh

That WAS a bit tricky indeed, took me a moment to figure out (and I held my hand over your answer as not to cheat :loco: ). You should have gotten it signed by the band (who of them was there anyway?). Did they play the regular version or the one with the bonus track, and was there a chance to look at the lyric booklet?

@Xptrinity:
Magic_kondomi.jpg

Shades of Gray
Hopeless Days
Better Unborn
Enchanted by the Moon
I of Crimson Blood
Alone
Narrow Path
Song of the Troubled One
Into Hiding
Brother Moon
Majestic Beast
Nightbird's Song
From Earth I Rose
Crack in a Stone
Drowned Maid
The Way
--------------------
Two Moons
My Kantele

out-crack in a stone, in-silver bride
out-two moons, in- "Towards and Against"

for all the other choices,:headbang:

Your post made me check the setlists I have taped to an inconspicuous place in my apartment as reminders of some of my favorite Amo gigs ever. A third of them features Two Moons. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

Damn, you're lucky! I take it those shows were around Eclipse's release? I don't think they've played Two Moons since then, but I could be wrong.

@ Brother_Moon1: Towards and Against is indeed a mighty live song and I would never complain about hearing it. Silver Bride, on the other hand, obviously a good song but I wouldn't mind if they gave it a rest in the setlist for a while.

Also, that Amorphis quiz is hilarious!!!

Wow, Eurynome, that is a special setlist full of rarities. Must have been just before Skyforger came out since I guess they were teasing with Silver Bride. Man, Veil of Sin has always been a personal favourite of mine, too. One of Pasi's best performances, would be cool to see Joutsen do it. I don't think there's any videos of Two Moons live, are there?

Also, dammit, they should bring back A Servant! That's always been a highlight of Silent Waters for me; reminds me so much of Elegy!

@Xptrinity:
Magic_kondomi.jpg

Right! An insiders' joke ;) I wouldn't have figured it out for the life of me.
You have "Magic", Americans have "Trojan"s and we have "Durex". (There used to be a local brand, but I don't remember the name, because they had bad reputation of bursting in the most inappropriate moment and I believe they're out of production. Only good for filling them with water and throwing them from the balcony in the feet of unsuspecting pedestrians. Oh, the joys of teenage years!)

What did you win?
The prizes were a free entry to that album release gig at Circus and of course a free drink too.

You should have gotten it signed by the band (who of them was there anyway?). Did they play the regular version or the one with the bonus track, and was there a chance to look at the lyric booklet?

They played only the regular version, but unfortunately there was no booklets. I didn't see anyone from the band there, otherwise I definitely would have tried to get that paper signed. ;)

Also, what is the 3rd question?
"From which bird's egg the world came into existence according to Kalevala?
a) goldeneye b) ostrich c) rooster?"

The prizes were a free entry to that album release gig at Circus and of course a free drink too.

"From which bird's egg the world came into existence according to Kalevala?
a) goldeneye b) ostrich c) rooster?"

Sweet prize!!! :D

BTW, "golden eagle", perhaps?

Veil of Sin has always been a personal favourite of mine, too. One of Pasi's best performances, would be cool to see Joutsen do it.

As you wish! (I hope it's viewable...)

I don't think there's any videos of Two Moons live, are there?
I only have half of it and in crappy quality. My camera's microphone doesn't like bass drums, even if it's Snoopy playing them. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, "golden eagle", perhaps?

It is a goldeneye, a small waterbird called telkkä or sotka in Finnish.
Bucephala+clangula+-+Common+Goldeneye+52191.jpg

Then again I have read that in original myths it really was a question of golden eagle's egg, but when Elias Lönnrot was collecting these poems from Karelia and composed Kalevala, he changed eagle to a waterbird that the whole "egg story" would seem more sensible. Golden eagles don't build their nests close to water, unlike goldeneyes ;)

EDIT: And about the topic, I secretly wish that some day they would start to play Cares and The Way again...

Ah, OK - some kind of duck.
As for "Cares"... I saw it in Tampere on Dec. 31, 2010. It was a great gig, though my highlight back then was "Elegy", of course.

I secretly wish that some day they would start to play Cares and The Way again...

The Way especially, I'd be willing to pay five euros on top of the regular ticket price if they promised to play it again!:headbang:

Setlist.fm has an interesting feature which calculates average setlists for a year, based on how often the songs were played and whereabouts in the set. Even though they don't have each and every show played in any given year, the result looks fairly accurate:
settilista_tilastot.jpg

Ah, OK - some kind of duck.
As for "Cares"... I saw it in Tampere on Dec. 31, 2010.
So did Tuuletar, remember the three of us went to that show together. ;) I didn't even like that song back in the Elegy days and for a long time afterwards, but when I first heard it sung by Tomi J, I fell in love with it, too. (Maybe the Stones were right about the singer and the song.)