An analysis of black metal culture...

S<issors

wins.
Jan 16, 2007
...particularly in Europe, with a focus on Norway. That's what I've been assigned an anthro paper on. Cool, yes- unfortunately, I'm fairly fucking clueless when it comes to BM.

Luckily for me I have you fine gents. I remember a similar topic yielding a lot of recs for that Lords of Chaos book, so I'll probably check that out. LoC aside, what are the absolutely essential bands I should research and listen to (even more specifically, what albums- I'm prepared to do a lot of buyin' since I figure my getting into black metal is overdue anyway), and what events should I address? Any key points you feel I should be aware of?

Pretend I'm stupider than I am. Obviously, I'll know a good deal of the stuff you suggest (at least by name) but I'd rather get redundant suggestions than miss important stuff... and seriously, I'm so out of it when it comes to bm that I pretty much only know Immortal and Burzum by reputation

that said, names and phrases to look up or fine, you don't need to write my paper for me ; )

thanks a fuckton

and yes I do intend to troll the bm thread like a bitch; still, that's a lot of names, and I'm just one poor confused death metal fan : (

edit: I think this is general enough not to be in the rec forum but feel free to kick it over there if I'm wrong

Definately have to mention the first wave and second wave of black metal. As fishy as wikipedia can be, I read the article about black metal and it seemed rather accurate to me. As far as bands go I would definately include Bathory, Venom, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Immortal, Satyricon, and Emperor, and kind of explain how these bands influenced later bands.
BTW, did you choose this or did they actually assign "black metal culture" to you? If they did thats sweet.

Origins:

Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Aragorn - Black Ice single (available on the Noonday compilation)

(the two above influenced Tom Warrior of Celtic Frost/Hellhammer)

Venom - Welcome To Hell, Black Metal, At War With Satan
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Break The Oath
Bathory - Bathory, The Return, Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, Blood Fire Death
Hellhammer - demos and Apocalyptic Raids
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales, Emperor's Return, To Mega Therion
Sodom - In The Sign Of Evil, Outbreak Of Evil
Mayhem - Deathcrush
Tormentor - Anno Domini

Early Norwegian "Death" Metal scene: Mayhem, Vomit, Thou Shalt Suffer, Old Funeral, Mortem, Darkthrone/Black Death, Amputation, Phobia

Evolution into "Second Wave" Norwegian Black Metal: Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal, Emperor, Ildjarn, Enslaved, Gorgoroth, Hades, Helheim, Satyricon

Did you choose this or did they actually assign "black metal culture" to you? If they did thats sweet.

Conversation went like this:

Teacher- ...so all of you make sure to choose a subculture that interests you. [Notices my shirt, pointing] Like heavy metal music, that would work.
Me- I thought you said it shouldn't be a culture we're involved in, though.
Teacher- Alright, so maybe not your favorite kind of heavy metal. But you see what I mean.
Me- Like black metal instead of death metal. If that makes any sense to anyone.
Teacher- Sure.
Me- Cool. Can it be that broad?
Teacher- It's probably easier if you're more specific. Like, focus on a specific country, or a... more specific kind of music.
Me- Can we include sound clips if we send it to you in an electronic format?
Teacher- Sure. That would be great.

Sweet, eh?

also, history is not the only component of this- what releases are indicative of the current state of bm?

also, history is not the only component of this- what releases are indicative of the current state of bm?

I'll kick you off with a few here:

Deathspell Omega: any of their last three albums
Negura Bunget: Om / 'n crugu bradului
Drudkh: any
Woods of Ypres: any
Blut Aus Nord: The Work Which Transforms God
Anaal Nathrakh: any

These are what I consider to be the cutting edge of BM at the moment, but depending on how thorough this paper is going to be, you'd probably want to mention that Darkthrone, Mayhem, Satyricon et al are still producing solid albums (although inferior to their previous stuff).

BTW You have a cool teacher.

if I had to do a paper on metal, school would be awesome.

Specific albums:

Early "Norwedgian" Scene:
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism

Current State of BM (In Norway), I'd say:

Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli (for more friendly black metal)

I'd say more but I don't know that much about black metal :/

EDIT: you should also get Wolves In The Throne Room - two hunters

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi

This would be really tough to do without including dozens of releases. Otherwise, you'd definitely have some biases in there. Of course, this would all go over your teacher's head anyway. Also, you'd definitely be leaving your original target area of Norway, since basically nothing significant is coming out of Norway right now. General trends include a movement away from satanist themes to pagan themes by the middle of the second wave. The number of bands has grown exponentially. You might want to follow up on the significant bands that released non-black metal albums, or kept on making black metal. It seems that many of them are going back to the stuff that got them into metal in the first place.

Here are some important individuals:
Varg Vikernes (Burzum)
Ihsahn, Samoth, Trym, Mortiis, Faust (Emperor)
Snorre Ruch (Thorns)
Euronymous, Dead, Hellhammer, Necrobutcher (Mayhem)
Abbath, Demonaz (Immortal)
Nocturno Culto, Fenriz (Darkthrone)

They're pretty much all in Lords of Chaos, but you could try searching for interviews elsewhere too.

Thorns was one of the first black metal bands, not to many people know about the early reputation of Thorns and (Founder)Snorres involvement with the scene. The early rare Thorns demos back in the early 90's are hard to find, but their self titled is a must have it came out in begining of the decade.

Of course you have the early 90's Kings...get some of these bands... Emperor, Burzum, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, Gehenna, Mayhem, Dodheimsgard, Satyricon, Darkthrone, Sigh, Immortal, Enslaved, Dissection,(old) Dimmu Borgir, Arcturus.

Be sure to mention Euronymous views, as they influenced the scene alot-through his music and store. Also dont forget what Varg did for the scene and his influence

Origins:

Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Aragorn - Black Ice single (available on the Noonday compilation)

(the two above influenced Tom Warrior of Celtic Frost/Hellhammer)

Venom - Welcome To Hell, Black Metal, At War With Satan
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Break The Oath
Bathory - Bathory, The Return, Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, Blood Fire Death
Hellhammer - demos and Apocalyptic Raids
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales, Emperor's Return, To Mega Therion
Sodom - In The Sign Of Evil, Outbreak Of Evil
Mayhem - Deathcrush
Tormentor - Anno Domini

Early Norwegian "Death" Metal scene: Mayhem, Vomit, Thou Shalt Suffer, Old Funeral, Mortem, Darkthrone/Black Death, Amputation, Phobia

Evolution into "Second Wave" Norwegian Black Metal: Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal, Emperor, Ildjarn, Enslaved, Gorgoroth, Hades, Helheim, Satyricon
i'd add Gehenna and Ulver to the bunch of 2nd wave norwegian bands

the early eastern-european (Root, Master's Hammer, 666, Törr, KAT, Imperator) and greek bands (Rotting Christ, Varathron, Necromantia) should also be mentioned

I think he should probably hone in on the Norwegian scene...I did a similar paper about two years ago, and trust me, Norway is plenty enough to cover in itself, his professor might just question why he brought up so many other bands without actually discussing them.