an experience i had to share

brotherman

New Metal Member
Dec 24, 2005
i had to do some small chores around my room, cleaning and such, so i turned player onto random music like usually do. however i forgot that i had an opeth cd in my player, i don't like to listen to opeth on random.

i threw clothes into my closet and wound up video game cables while some megadeth, symphony x, and therion songs passed. then ramses bringer of war by nile came on and after hearing the epic intro i had put the chores on hold so i could properly headbang. nile always gets me in the adrenaline pumped mood to go beat the crap out of something. i felt i could take on anything, i felt that i could have slaughtered thousands of warriors as long as i had nile hailing me. i was doing some hardcore headbanging that i havn't done in a while. nile has a sense of evil and heaviness unmatched by any death metal band. the anger of the music filtered through me and i felt nothing could bring me down.

but then a certain opeth song came on. i didn't expect opeth so it caught me off guard and at first i didn't recognize it. the demonic intro to demon of the fall had ceased my headbanging. i stood up straight as this evil force came before me. goosebumps ran up arms, over my shoulders and down my spine. the first riff began and i felt i needed to headbang in honor of this song. but for some reason i couldn't bring myself to it. i could only stand still as the music played on. the vocals kicked in and i was instilled with a fearful sense of awe. i felt as if the this song was a direct threat to me. normally as i listen to this song i listen to it in the context of the album, demon of the fall harbored hatred towards the false lover. but this time the demon harbored hatred toward me. i just stood still as the demon envoloped my soul and showed me the rage that it knew. as the song continued with the chanting of "demon... demon of the fall", a part i usually sing along with, i found that i had just as much trouble in singing as i head with headbanging. finally, after the song had its way with me, it was over and i instantly went out for a smoke.

anyway, sorry if i ranted a bit but i just felt that the heaviness in opeth is different from that of other music. bands like nile do a great job at getting the adrenaline going in anger but i don't know of any other band than opeth that ever got the adrenaline going in fear. opeth doesn't go as fast as other death metal and it doesn't need to. sometimes it seems that in order to get that feeling all you have to do is speed up the music. and for some bands that can end up being a crutch. however with opeth, they have a unique ability to attain that same heaviness without speeding up the music to a million beats per minute. and that's a gift that i thank opeth for allowing us to experience.

if anyone wants to put in their thought or to say i'm full of shit, please, go for it.

Your full of shit

actually Opeth's heaviness is different, its more atmospheric

Evil? I listen to that song at 3 in the morning when im walking home from work in the woods. If your scared of it when your washing dishes, then... :erk:

TheApostle said:
Evil? I listen to that song at 3 in the morning when im walking home from work in the woods. If your scared of it when your washing dishes, then... :erk:

:tickled:

Thanks for sharing your Opeth induced insanity there, brotherman. I think the main reason why Opeth's music is SO different from other DM bands - or ANY bands for that instance - is not necessarily any particular sequence of notes or rhythms, it's just the total atmospheric nature of the music.

If you're really tired - y'know past the point where you feel tired but you know you SHOULD be tired - and you stick Ghost Reveries on and listen through, by the time you get to the end Isolation Years, if you're not on the edge of breaking down into an emotionally charged/drained heap I swear you don't have a pulse. I get it even when I'm fully awake!

i find these kind of experiences are the best. When you listen to an album/song in teh same context over and over it starts to become routine, but as you said you didn't expect the song to come on and it kind of hit you in the face like a train. Those are the best experiences imo. When there is such a build up to an incredible climax, it almost puts you in a state of euphoric ecstasy. Ive only had that happen a few times to me when i listen to music but almost always its the result of listening to Opeth. Thanks for sharing!

AFairJudgement0 said:
i find these kind of experiences are the best. When you listen to an album/song in teh same context over and over it starts to become routine, but as you said you didn't expect the song to come on and it kind of hit you in the face like a train. Those are the best experiences imo. When there is such a build up to an incredible climax, it almost puts you in a state of euphoric ecstasy. Ive only had that happen a few times to me when i listen to music but almost always its the result of listening to Opeth. Thanks for sharing!

Fair point there - it's almost like hearing it again for the first time.

yea. I remember teh first time I heard the song TDF for the first time, and I was literally blown away by the genious of the song itself. The intertwining riffs and the climactic breaks b/w heavy and acoustic just blew me away. Because I listen to that song constantly I never get that feeling again, and I really wish I could get that back!

I feel the same way - I would give anything to be able to re-discover Opeth again. Not that I am bored with their music now or anything like that - It was just so unbelievable when I first heard it - it changed my life instantly.

This is a good post because you mentioned Therion.

I'm not the only person that likes them!!