I CREATED AN OPETHIAN LAST NIGHT

let him listen to "ghost of perdition" off of GR, and then promptly switch the album to Blackwater park and play the first 4 songs then "blackwater park"

then put on SL and commence the circle jerk

man my friends are all teeny bopping sheep:( ive tried every single one of them with opeth but it doesnt work. but i did show my girlfriends mum windowpane on lamentations and she loved it! maybe she can be my friend:)

Most people I know fall in love with anything off of Damnation. The growl is still something that people struggle with. I could care less. I don't really try to turn anyone onto Opeth, but if someone's interested in a song or two, I try to accomodate.

I think the growl is important to Opeth- it is the combination of brutual beauty- the combination of melodic tunes and singing with the guttural voice. Plus it truly utilizes the full spectrum of emotions and vocal abilities... this is why I do not like introducing people via Damnation- though it is a beautiful album, it lacks the stark contrasts which I love about Opeth.

Predator's Portrait said:
Most people I know fall in love with anything off of Damnation. The growl is still something that people struggle with. I could care less. I don't really try to turn anyone onto Opeth, but if someone's interested in a song or two, I try to accomodate.

People will always struggle with the growl, no matter what. Even Mike didn;t like growling when he was younger. What really annoys me is when people don't even take the time to become interested. I stuck with Opeth for just a couple of days and like most of you guys, the growl has become just another instrument in the Opeth arsenal. None of my friends even give it a go. As soon as a growling part comes on, they turn it off or laugh or whatnot. Thats why I introduce most people to Opeth through Damnation, because they get used to the music first, then when they hear the growling, they can still hear the music they like, and it somehow moulds together. That's the theory anyway, and judging by how many of my mates like Opeth, it's not really working.

While I was transfering the video from the Sean Baker Orchestra performance the other night, I played Opeth for Sean Baker and Alfredo Riojas. I started with "A Fair Judgement", and went to "Closure", "Baying of the Hounds", and "Beneath the Mire". Both being incredible musicians themselves, they finally "got them".

Tool is my favorite band of all time, but Opeth just tied them. I am wondering where I am going to put my Opeth tattoo.

If you like guitar players, check out the highlighted links above.

biggsy said:
People will always struggle with the growl, no matter what. Even Mike didn;t like growling when he was younger. What really annoys me is when people don't even take the time to become interested. I stuck with Opeth for just a couple of days and like most of you guys, the growl has become just another instrument in the Opeth arsenal. None of my friends even give it a go. As soon as a growling part comes on, they turn it off or laugh or whatnot. Thats why I introduce most people to Opeth through Damnation, because they get used to the music first, then when they hear the growling, they can still hear the music they like, and it somehow moulds together. That's the theory anyway, and judging by how many of my mates like Opeth, it's not really working.

I agree. I guess people like to have music spoonfed (ie, simple, catchy songs, etc). You definitely need to give Opeth a few listens. It's also unfortunate that most people have the attention span of 3-4 minutes when it comes to songs. That's another thing I find people have difficulty with.

Haha yeah you certainly wouldn't try and coax someone into Opeth by making them sit down for 20 minutes and listen to BRI. That said, even the 6-7 minute songs are hard to listen through for my friends. They're simply not interested.