Uk Portsmouth Show Last Night!!!!!!!!

threak

Oct 21, 2002
Was so fucking incredible.I seriously can't find any word's to use that are going to do justice of explaining actually how damn good it was.

We got in around 8 when the doors opened,checked out the opeth thongs(yes thongs!,not things),opeth lighters and some kick ass opeth skins.And then went straight to the bar.Had a few pints,then I hear the opening note's of Madder Mortem.I went in to the main hall and watched the first song,then founf myself very bored and unentertained.So more beer was drunk to pass time.

By the time MM was finished,i was so excited to be seeing them live again that i wouldn't shut the fuck up talking about it.Then,this very suttle synth sound came out quietly through the P.A.,so i took a slash,and then went back straight to the front of the audience.Then,they appeared and went straight in to the Leper Affinity with ease and solid precision. Everyone in the audience was ecstatic.Next up was Advent,which was delivered with so much intensity by the band,that im sure the whole front row could feel it like an electric charge through their bodys.Deliverance was played almost in an hypnotic way,just watching Mikeal and Peter play toghether,and making there uniquley creative guitar parts seem easy was amazing.The Drapery Falls followed,then they played Credence,which has to be one of my favorite Opeth song's to see live.Its so subtle and relaxing after 4 intense songs.After the relaxing interlude,they played(for the first ever time in the UK) Serenity Painted Death.And the whole audience cheered at the same time when they announced this.They kicked in and everyone went nuts,the first couple of rows acutally moved a bit:zombie:,and the pit behind me looked pretty brutal for an opeth show.It was amazing.Then to everyone's absoloute horror,they said that this would be the last song of the show,and A Fair Judgement was played through perfectly.And then they went.After what seemed like the longest ive ever had to wait for an encore,each band member individually appeared back onstage,they told the audience to go fuckign insane,so we did.I think you know what song im talking about:headbang:.

The set list was:

The Leper Affinity
Godheads Lament
Advent
Deliverance
The Drapery Falls
Credence
Serenity Painted Death
A Fair Judgement
Demon Of The Fall

After they finished,we were slowly cleared out of the venue,where myself,two other friends,and a bunch of other fans waited outside to meet the band.After about half an hour,Peter Lindgren emerged,and is one of the coolest guys ive met from a band.He was so genuine,and happy as fuck to answer questions that were being thrown at him by me and other people,after making sure he got everything signed,he went back in.One of the people i was staying with phoned up his friend and asked if peter would speak to him,and he said sure and called his mate a lesbian and then went back inside.About two minutes later,Martin Lopez came out and was really chilled and funny as fuck,after about a minute with him,we were'nt even feeling starstruck anymore.He was talking to us like regular friends.These guys really have no ego's whatsoever.Then Mikael came out and was just as cool,he signed a barrge of shit,then hung out for a while,talking about GTA 3,Sorskogen(he said that its completely finished),Bloodbath and Damnation,and didn't even care that we had heard it already.He just said,"as long as you buy it when it comes out".We talked about loads of other random shit with the band that would take ages to type out here.But it was great.

Opeth rules!:headbang:

I went to the gig yesterday too. Glad you enjoyed yourself, threak :cool:, but I didn't come away quite so enthused, unfortunately.
Got in a bit after eight myself, met up with some friends. Madder Mortem started off quite nervously (I can't really blame them if this was their first UK gig!), but really came into their own as they got into it. To be honest, I've never really heard of them before, but after last night I'm converted!
As for Opeth, great music (as always :)), not so great crowd; I've never been to a gig with the security guards chucking so many people out! In the end, we retired to the edge and just kept an eye out for the few idiots doing the rounds while we listened to the music. I guess the advantage about a small venue like the Wedgewood rooms is that wherever you are, you're still pretty close to the band - Opeth had good stage presence, and Serenity Painted Death live is amazing! It was also good to hear a couple of the songs off of Damnation - A Fair Judgement in particular was great! The only think I could have hoped for was playing one of the new tracks off Damnation. Oh well :p. Unfortunatly, I left at the end of the set (just wanted to get out of there) and so missed the encore. Demon of the Fall? Damndamndamn!
Overall, I think I enjoyed their gig in London last year a little more. A good gig (well worth the money) by a great band, which would benefited from a better venue.
Talking to the band afterward would have been very cool *envies threak*

Opeth rule indeed!

Marcus

Marcus said:
I went to the gig yesterday too. Glad you enjoyed yourself, threak :cool:, but I didn't come away quite so enthused, unfortunately.
Got in a bit after eight myself, met up with some friends. Madder Mortem started off quite nervously (I can't really blame them if this was their first UK gig!), but really came into their own as they got into it. To be honest, I've never really heard of them before, but after last night I'm converted!
As for Opeth, great music (as always :)), not so great crowd; I've never been to a gig with the security guards chucking so many people out! In the end, we retired to the edge and just kept an eye out for the few idiots doing the rounds while we listened to the music. I guess the advantage about a small venue like the Wedgewood rooms is that wherever you are, you're still pretty close to the band - Opeth had good stage presence, and Serenity Painted Death live is amazing! It was also good to hear a couple of the songs off of Damnation - A Fair Judgement in particular was great! The only think I could have hoped for was playing one of the new tracks off Damnation. Oh well :p. Unfortunatly, I left at the end of the set (just wanted to get out of there) and so missed the encore. Demon of the Fall? Damndamndamn!
Overall, I think I enjoyed their gig in London last year a little more. A good gig (well worth the money) by a great band, which would benefited from a better venue.
Talking to the band afterward would have been very cool *envies threak*

Opeth rule indeed!

Marcus

Yeah,you know what dude,it's funny you say that about the surfers and the security.Because i was about a row from the front,and was standing directly in between peter and mike,and could see everything,and i didn't notice any security throwing people out.But that fucking sucks badly.Ive never known the wedgies to be so drastic before.

Anyway,you might have heard me.Do you remember in advent,when it gets to the silent pause,and then this messed up scream came from somewhere when it was all quiet,and then the band and everyone laughed.That was me:D.I think i annoyed some uptight wankers though.But i was a little drunk,so i dont give a shit if i make a complete fool out of myself.

13 Fingers said:
sounds good :) yeah i'n guessing we'll get the same setlist in london. i'd like to hear them play some other stuff but it's cool. gonna be great

Well i spoke to peter after the show,and asked him if they are doing another euro tour after this.And he said that they definatley are,and intend to be on the road for about another 10 months to a year or so.And he said that for the next euro tour they will be playing a mixture of acoustic and heavy,and that the stage set up will be very different with carpets and such for decoration.Im hoping that more of the obscure heavy stuff that we want to hear live will be played on these shows.

What time did they finish around people? Coz I desperatley wanna try and get some shit signed after the show, and my coach leaves for Canterbury at 11:30 pm, last coach back, so i'll decide whether to miss it and stay in London for the night, or something like that. I dont know yet.

Cant wait for tonight, im gonna leave in about an hour. :headbang: :headbang:

See some of you guys there hopefully!!

\m/

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Bah, thats practically the same setlist as they played in london last year!
Oh well, i'd like to hear the leper affinity and serenity. Which they didn't play then.

yeh that's exactly what i thought when i looked at it!!! nevermind....

maybe it'll be a little different at the london show :err:

I was thinking that, and then Phon1c reminded me that they practice songs very rarely, so fair enough...but really, its Opeth live, I don't think I'd care if they played the same songs as they did in December.

I must say though, I am looking rather forward to Serenity Painted Death! :)

Yeah,i loved hearing all of the same songs again.I really dont care what they play,because i mean c'mon,its fucking opeth.

But they played Harvest in manchester last night.

Dvoters said:
What time did they finish around people? Coz I desperatley wanna try and get some shit signed after the show, and my coach leaves for Canterbury at 11:30 pm, last coach back, so i'll decide whether to miss it and stay in London for the night, or something like that. I dont know yet.

Cant wait for tonight, im gonna leave in about an hour. :headbang: :headbang:

See some of you guys there hopefully!!

\m/

Well i remember looking at my watch when they came out to do the encore,and it was just gone 11:20.But london has a more stricked curfew i think.All of the shows that i have seen at the fiddler have always finished before 11.So dont worry.

13 Fingers said:
if ya want :) but i reckon ill get a 4 oclock train to london which will take less than half hour cuz i have some buissness to attend to first!

How much weed are you getting?