an intoxicated ramble about our metal community

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
WARNING: the following was induced by a decent quantity of parrot bay coconut rum, insomnia, and manowar

so as i lay in bed, i tend to ponder past conversations ive had with friends. now a subject that often coems up is that metalheads are supposed to be non-conformists, but in doing so are infact conformist. but what if that really isnt the case at all? i often see the metal community as a brotherhood. a brotherhood that transcends alll borders.

i am reminded of the time i went on vacation norway. when i was there, i was greeted by fellow metalheads which i met on the earth dog lounge ( www.earth-dog.com ). while i was planning my trip i asked a couple of the norwegian residents of a hotel i could stay in, dave (the webmaster) offered me the couch in his house, without a 2nd thought. needless to say his invitation made i finacially possible for me to visit my ancestral home. while i was there, i met many other metalheads. friends of daves and random people in town.

one time, i was at the train station in oslo, and i walked into the little grocery store they had there. as i walked through the checkout line, a clerk with long hair flashed me the universal symbol of metal: \m/. he had recognized me by my cryptopsy shirt.

now where am i going with all this? the metal "image" of long hair and band shirts is often seen as just another group of hypocritical non conformist conforming. i dont see it that way. i see it as a sign of brotherhood. your walkin down the street and you see a guy in a darkthrone shirt, you say whats up. its this type of brotherhood that makes our community unique. its not conforming, it goes beyond that. we are all proud to be metalheads, so we celebrate it and embrace others who do the same. and that just rules
~gR~

I'm in no way proud of listening to metal. why should I? it's no real achievement, you know. also I don't feel the need to express my music preferences by wearing band shirts. when I see a guy with a Darkthrone (or whatever) t-shirt I'll often wonder why he's wearing it because I don't understand. maybe it's in some way cool to wear such shirts of your favourite bands, but the more I think of it the more it seems to me that its only use is to make you feel less insecure about yourself, as it provides in a way some "identity".

Gallantry over Docility said:
what you just described applies to all such groups :/

Wooooord, nigggggaaaaaa......I've heard this argument over and over and over and over and over.

I've never seen myself as a non conformist. I like the old style Metal look, and I enjoy intergrating it with a modern look of today. I don't view it as non-conformity, it's just what I do. :p

fuck, im growing my hair out to headbang
i wear metal shirts because i like the bands
im proud to listen to metal because it proves that im smart enough to listen to the best genre on earth, its not giving me some false identity, its just like being a part of a group....your arguement is like saying that everybody in boy scouts is insecure because they wear uniforms, its just not true

i hope you see my side, because if you go around a metal forum saying your not proud of listening to metal, people might take it the wrong way....and you might find yourself with a lot of enemies....just a tip

but whatever, feel the way you want idc, rock on dude :headbang:

I don't think I look the "metal" part, as many who enjoy the genre don't either. Appearances shouldn't really matter unless you overdo it? I'm talking about people who wear the fucking studded chokers and knee high boots just to look gri/\/\ or whatever the fuck. That's just annoying. I guess what I'm trying to say is, modesty in moderate doses.

Personally, I could care less about trying to fit an archetypal image. If I wore a "metal uniform" I would feel like others would assume things about my personality simply because of how I looked, without having ever talked to me. In general I don't like others to think they have me "figured out", and I certainly don't want some incompetent redneck I've never met thinking he knows anything about who I am from what I'm wearing. Of course, maybe that's the actual reason some choose to dress this way - they want others to know they listen to metal and that they're proud of it. But like someone said earlier...I don't understand why I should be proud I listen to metal. Some of it speaks to me, so naturally I'm going to enjoy it. It's not as if I've accomplished anything remarkable by enjoying other people's art. I suppose I'll be sentenced to death by guillotine or something now :lol:

I don't look like a metalhead at all either. I do have band shirts however but I only got them to support the bands I like (because hopefully they got some of the money or a better chance at having a contract renewed if only the label gets the money and sees people still have an interest, plus I'm a walking billboard).

I've never had anybody acknowledge me for wearing a band shirt and why would I want that? I need no confirmation. I was in a class with a guy who had an Immortal shirt and we never spoke to each other.

Thanatopsis123 said:
I was in a class with a guy who had an Immortal shirt and we never spoke to each other.

Seriously...why should you form any kind of opinion or have any desire to talk to someone based on an Immortal shirt? There's nothing preventing the mentally challenged from listening to black metal, and they often do, as evidenced by the Full Moon Productions message board.

"Seriously...why should you form any kind of opinion or have any desire to talk to someone based on an Immortal shirt?"

If you and the person wearing the shirt each listen to Immortal, could it not be interesting to discuss that band and others that are similiar that you both may enjoy listening to? I mean that is what people do when they talk to eachother, isn't it? Communicating ideas on similiar interests.

I basically agree with the idea that all groups resemble eachother and "metalheads" (for those who label themselves this) are no different to the NRA or the Girl Scouts in this manner.

I'm not exactly the stereotypical metalhead...my hair is kind of in a fro (a somewhat contained trevor osbourne) and I usually just wear t shirts and jeans. every now and then I'll throw on an emperor shirt or something. if I do approach a metalhead, I only do it if the person seems somewhat intelligent (or if it's a female, attractive - heh). Most of the metalheads I've met in real life haven't been that worthwhile to talk to except for the occassional rant about something.

i've got the hair, the torn jeans and old shirts, but its not intentional, these are just my clothes and this is what happens when i wear them out and duct tape the ripped spots.

Perdition's Light said:
If I wore a "metal uniform" I would feel like others would assume things about my personality simply because of how I looked, without having ever talked to me.

I must admit, I find this mentality much more insecure than people who wear metal shirts. I always wear band shirts, and I've got the archetypal metalhead look, and I know that people assume things when they see me. But as far as I'm concerned, if people are going to judge me by a fucking Iron Maiden shirt, they're probably not worth getting to know anyway.

10293847 said:
If you and the person wearing the shirt each listen to Immortal, could it not be interesting to discuss that band and others that are similiar that you both may enjoy listening to? I mean that is what people do when they talk to eachother, isn't it? Communicating ideas on similiar interests.

You have a point, and I assume most people probably feel this way, but the idea of it doesn't really interest me anymore because I've tried it and found it boring. I know what music I like and what I don't, and I don't really care if anyone else shares my interests. The only benefit I could see out of such a conversation is possibly discovering new bands based on what I already like, but the internet (fuck trueness) is far more efficient for that. I've had metal "aquaintances" but they were never close friends because we were so unalike, and I would never claim someone as a friend for such superficial reasons as mutual interests or pastimes. None of my friends listen to metal and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's not that I don't have any intest in communicating ideas of any kind, but I find certain topics a waste of time. I'll play the game if it's beneficial or necessary socially (like responding to a comment on the weather (etc.) in the workplace so you're not percieved as an asshole) but I think people don't realize how much of it is often a social game as opposed to how sincere they truly are. "I love Immortal, man!" is no different than "lovely weather today" to my ears. All you're really looking for is some social acceptance, or maybe you just want to talk to a woman you're attracted to, and the issue you're discussing is completely irrelevant. Of course I realize it's the only way to play the game, to get what you feel you need. But I only like to play it when it when I get something out of it.

Let the ass rape begin.

and yet, some people say things because they actually mean them. and those are people i consider friends. unafraid to tell me to my face that they think my favorite band sucks because they really honestly do. yet still they've got my back as a friend. i avoid "the game" completely and just say it how it is.

Décadent said:
I must admit, I find this mentality much more insecure than people who wear metal shirts. I always wear band shirts, and I've got the archetypal metalhead look, and I know that people assume things when they see me. But as far as I'm concerned, if people are going to judge me by a fucking Iron Maiden shirt, they're probably not worth getting to know anyway.

Meh, clothing IS insecurity. You choose your clothes so that people will see you a certain way. If you deny this, you are full of shit. Even if you supposedly "don't care" what you wear and never even give a second thought to what you put on (highly doubtful), you are choosing to appear as though you did not give a second thought to what you are wearing. Maybe out of chance it would coordinate in a socially acceptable fashion (or at least acceptable within whatever clique) or even appear "out of the ordinary" in that trend-starting way. But this is mostly likely due to your wardrobe selection conforming to a certain style or image that you prefer. Everyone does it and there's nothing wrong with it because it's part of the game. I was speaking for me personally and how I would want to be seen as "metal" about as much as I would to be seen as "punk" or "goth" (fucking not at all). See, you still care about how you are percieved, you are just choosing to disregard any negative opinions of how you're dressed so that you can feel comfortable with it. And if that's what it takes, then so be it. Personally I don't want to be percieved as a metalhead, because I'm not. I listen to indie rock and new wave and other gay things. You could call that insecurity if you want, but by that standard, we're all insecure. The man who has no social insecurities about how others percieve them cannot be a functioning member of society. Obviously you don't murder someone even if they kill your father because then you'll probably spend the rest of your life in jail. I really shouldn't have brought any of this up because now I'll have to respond to every single nitpick that I don't have time for. I wasn't really expecting anyone to see it my way, to be honest though.

I, for one am goddamn proud of my love of metal. I proudly look the part and have for decades. My hair is down to my ass and I wear band shirts, boots and black attire every single day. Why? To please myself. Sure, I relish the looks I get and all of the negative people that don't approve of it can merrily go fuck themselves. Too me it's not just a style of music I prefer but a way of life.