A survey to prove a rumor about metalheads

And therein lies one major problem, among others, with downloading.

How is it a problem?
IMO it comes down to deciding if you want to support the bands you enjoy when you can.
I see no difference between buying merch and buying CDs.

Devil's advocate response: Because you're not buying the music, which is clearly the "major aspect" of a musician's art. This brings up an interesting question I'd like to pose, actually:

Should the artist care where his revenue (if applicable) comes from? Consider a hypothetical:

Shirts are printed for a band as a gift and therefore cost no money for the band to make. The band also has a CD out. Everyone pirates the CD, so CD sales for it are down. CD sales don't intrinsically matter to this band, because this band is underground metal and they don't care about chart-topping. People buy the shirts, which are roughly equivalent in price to the CD (maybe 3-5 bucks more, as is usual among metal band merch vs. CD/album prices). Should the band care that their apparel is selling more than their music? What if they've been getting positive response from the album, but haven't seen any money from the album sales, instead seeing it from merchandise sales?

Obvious response: No, they likely shouldn't care. They're getting money to reimburse probable considered losses from studio time, equipment purchases, etc. I don't think it really matters where the money comes from. Now, if the CD was getting bad attention but for some reason shirts were selling like crazy, that'd be bizarre, but isn't really part of the question. All in all, purchasing a CD is NOT the only way to say to a band "we like you, make a new CD" aka support them. If you could download sweatshirts and beltbuckles with the bands' logos on it, maybe this would change however. *awaits 3D printer and .swtshrt file extensions eagerly to engage in more evil piracy*

Devil's advocate response: Because you're not buying the music, which is clearly the "major aspect" of a musician's art.

Very true, hadn't thought of it that way.
But IMO when you buy merch you are in a way "buying" their music through showing support of the band. Buying merch shows that you enjoy that bands music. While not litterally "buying" the music you are "buying the band" for lack of better words through buying their merchandise. Not sure if I displayed my opinion in an understandable way but it makes sense to me.
$60 hoodie in place of a $20 CD, you're still paying them for their art.

:lol: The ability to download physical objects would cause problems a bit more serious than music piracy to be honest.

Free UZIs for everyone! (envisioning a faded mac-11 coming out of a printer, "Damnit! we need a new cartridge." lol)

I was just at Newberry Comics and I saw cds from a lot of bands I like to buy since I download it and like to have the artwrork and then my sister said why not burn it for you on Limewire on a cd:rolleyes::erk:Then I said I like the artwork and the music enough to buy it.

Downloading music, liking it, and then deciding not to buy it because "I already have the songs" is a bad thing and cannot possibly be turned into a positive.

Blargh, that reminds me of my college classes in Economy...

"Nothing is free, there is always an opportunity cost"

Which in my opinion is a bunch of bull -- you get a free sandwich, but it's not free because the time you spent eating it could have been used to start the next Microsoft :erk:

Blargh, that reminds me of my college classes in Economy...

"Nothing is free, there is always an opportunity cost"

Which in my opinion is a bunch of bull -- you get a free sandwich, but it's not free because the time you spent eating it could have been used to start the next Microsoft :erk:
Haha, I remember this from economics as well and can only imagine someone trying to use that in court.

"The music wasn't free because of the opportunity cost that I forfeited from time I spent downloading it and listening to it. If anything, they owe me money!" :lol: