A survey to prove a rumor about metalheads

Psy-Q

New Metal Member
One of my favorite metal CD stores (Knochenhaus in Zürich) had to close a few months ago, and I was pretty shocked because I thought that metalheads are one of the few groups that still buy real, proper CDs (for whatever reason, audio quality, packaging, anything).

It seems it's not like that :( The boss told me that kids these days only download, even the new generation of metalheads is like that.

Still, there is a rumor that metalheads buy more CDs than listeners of other genres, so I want to scientifically prove or disprove that rumor :) If you want to help, you just have to donate 3 minutes of your time on the link below. And it would be really, really cool if you could also invite a bunch of non-metalheads, because I need a sample size of about 2000 - 5000 to make this relevant, and the best would be a 50/50 split between metalheads and non-metalheads.

Thanks a lot in advance to all who take part \m/

http://umfragen.zhdk.ch/index.php?sid=69122&lang=en

I always thought it was true that metal fans buy more cd's than other people. I finished the questionaire and ill be looking forward to the results

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that CD sales are down, even among metalheads. I have a feeling that within the not-so-distant future, we'll be living in a culture in which any physical copy of an album at all will be considered a "collector's item."

One thing that I'm curious about though is not just the correlation between sales of metal CDs to metalheads vs non-metal CDs to non-metal heads, but vice versa. What other genres are metalheads listening to (and supporting?) and what genres are non-metalheads listening to (but not supporting?).

Also, right now is probably not the best of times to conduct this survey, simply due to the financial situation of many families and individuals, and consequently, many music listeners. People are obviously not going to stop listening to music just because money is tight, but since media entertainment is a non-essential, any aspect of it that costs money will surely be pushed way back on one's list of priorities.

i'd like to think that the younger guys who can't afford cds still go to the gigs, and the guys with jobs make a decision to support bands by buying their music.

but who knows.

Yeah, but cds are a lot quicker to download then videogames, and a lot of the time, you get more out of buy the game, like getting online access.

Sometime ago it has been proven that downloading increases CD sales. People will discover more music that way and in the end they buy the originals.

I used to go to record stores to listen to new albums, but albums that will have to grow on you are often those records you are doubting to buy during a first listening. They often seem to be the most interesting albums, I can imagine that people will buy them after having downloaded it first.

So I believe downloading has positive aspects.

Very simply, the decline and assumed death of the music industry as we know it is due to the greed and ignorant entitlement that has been instilled upon the current and future generations. With the availability of the internet and the option of free entertainment through illegal downloading, it's obvious that people would rather steal with very little risk of punishment than to truly support art. Given the world we live in where convenience is extolled, it's easy to see how such a conclusion can be reached.

As more art is swallowed up by the digital age, more and more quality works will suffer. Music has been easily stolen thanks to the ease in which it can be digitized and experienced without much of a decline in the original quality. Books and movies, I feel, will soon follow. Films however are still going strong currently with the sole fact that is it still very difficult to recreate the experience of watching a new film in a theater.

Very simply, the decline and assumed death of the music industry as we know it is due to the greed and ignorant entitlement that has been instilled upon the current and future generations. With the availability of the internet and the option of free entertainment through illegal downloading, it's obvious that people would rather steal with very little risk of punishment than to truly support art. Given the world we live in where convenience is extolled, it's easy to see how such a conclusion can be reached.

As more art is swallowed up by the digital age, more and more quality works will suffer. Music has been easily stolen thanks to the ease in which it can be digitized and experienced without much of a decline in the original quality. Books and movies, I feel, will soon follow. Films however are still going strong currently with the sole fact that is it still very difficult to recreate the experience of watching a new film in a theater.

How could Books be swallowd by downloading?
I hope you can buy books,movies,and music in the future or I will be sad.:cry:

I never download, only buy cd's.

Don't have anything against those who do (people have their different reasons), but I just don'i do it, and try to support bands when I have the chance (gigs, merch, etc).

I sometimes download to try something out, but if I like it I always buy it, its just not the same without a physical copy of an album around. Also its nice to support bands, even many of the bigger ones aren't exactly mega rich. Doesn't feel right stealing it all off the internet and not paying for anything.

Plus I have a seriously awesome CD player and mp3s insult my speakers when I put them through it compared to the full CD version.

I think a lot still buy albums (even if that's not the case Koude compensates for those who don't)...just not from the stores anymore. When you have rent to pay, insurance, employees, etc... it's hard to compete with online distros where a guy can do it all and have the cds sit in his house.

So people still buy albums but now they'll look for the cheaper option, and very rarely will that option be buying from a store. As much as I find it sad that smaller stores are affected and have to close, would I buy a cd for 20$ that I could get for 10$ online? I'm sorry but the answer is no.