Anathema...

anglocentric

New Metal Member
May 29, 2008
could someone tell me why fragile dreams sounds so familiar? has it been in a film or something?

also anyone recommend which my dying bride, anathema and paradise lost albums i should get. also any doom albums that use clean vocals (or a mixture of vocals), as i want to get into doom.

could someone tell me why fragile dreams sounds so familiar? has it been in a film or something?

also anyone recommend which my dying bride, anathema and paradise lost albums i should get. also any doom albums that use clean vocals (or a mixture of vocals), as i want to get into doom.

Paradise Lost ~Gothic which is one of the best doom/death albums.

Draconian Times,Icon, and In Requiem are actually my favorite PL albums regardless.

Anathema ~Pentecost III. I don't care for anything after The Silent Enigma, but this album and everything before is worth looking into.

The Silent Enigma is the perfect blend of old and new Anathema. Doomy, yet it has progressive and morose elements that the band explore more on subsequent albums. My Dying Bride-The Angel and the Dark River is to me, their peak album. But, it depends on what you're looking for in these 3 groups. On the Death, Doom, or more modern proggish sound?

It's hard to be any more specific other than saying the songwriting was terrible. They were in transition from their doom style to their dark rock style and it doesn't have the atmosphere of Eternity or Judgement and the songs are just really weak.

Edit: when these threads got merged, everything ended up out of order - this comment was my explanation of why I don't like Alternative 4.

If you like Draconian Times, try the last one (In Requiem) and Icon, classics..

I got into MDB pretty late, but damn, they have some fine dramatic tunes. Try some Light at the End of the World, Like Gods of the Sun or Songs of Darkness Words of Light. Or The Dreadful Hours. I don't play them that often, but when in the right mood... "The Cry of Mankind" must be one of the most depressive songs ever, amazing.

If you like Draconian Times, try the last one (In Requiem) and Icon, classics..

I got into MDB pretty late, but damn, they have some fine dramatic tunes. Try some Light at the End of the World, Like Gods of the Sun or Songs of Darkness Words of Light. Or The Dreadful Hours. I don't play them that often, but when in the right mood... "The Cry of Mankind" must be one of the most depressive songs ever, amazing.

MDB went to shit after The Angel and the Dark River. Not to say they don't write the occasional good song, but there's no consistency that was present in TAATDR or Turn Loose the Swans. I agree 100% about 'The Cry of Mankind' though - I'd say it was in my top 10 favourite songs of all time.

I find Like Gods of the Sun,The Dreadful Hours,Songs of Darkness, Worlds of light much better than The Angel and the Dark River and same goes for the material prior.