Anette Parting with Nightwish

^True, she wasn't well-known before, but Nightwish did give her a name, and there are a sizable amount of fans that she brought into the fold. Maybe not as many as with Tarja, but there are a lot of fans who got into the band through DPP or Imaginaerum and would likely follow her if she decided to go solo. Anyway, the Nightwish name has helped to open doors for her if she chooses to walk through them. She may never be as well-known of a name as she was with Nightwish, or as well-known as a solo artist as Tarja is, but being in Nightwish has enabled her to sort of do whatever she wants however she wants and have an audience for it. If she wants to make a pop album or some sort of solo career of any kind of music she wants, being in Nightwish has given her the opportunity to do that. No doubt that never would happen for her if she had remained with Alyson Avenue or just remained "a regular mom staying at home baking cookies". ;)

Its good that Anette has given a message about her health because I think a lot of people were just left hanging thinking - she left without explanation a few days after a scan found a problem, oh dear
She doesn't say anything specifically about the cyst problem though, just she is "healthy and strong" which could mean anything (but then maybe she might not know any results etc).
I don't think any of the parties really are acting like there is something seriously wrong, either Anette or Nightwish or anyone else eg, Troy making jokes. If there isn't anything wrong then it does put a different light on it.

When I was on their sites I always tried to be politically correct and not say anything about first split. It is a bit nauseating that there is now 50+ pages on their site about Split II, especially when lots of people have been banned for various reasons but this is ok.
I don't really respect this band very much any more I'm afraid after what their sites/staff were like with me. They just wouldn't talk to me in a reasonable way and I felt they were abusive. I didn't try to go to any concerts or look at their shows or interviews but about one day before the Denver show I got an urge to read through all the interviews I'd missed. I would have continued to support the band with a change of singer once but now I don't know. I saw someone say something on another site along the lines of after they were treated badly by a particular artist they no longer have an appreciation for that person's work, that's how I feel about Nightwish really. But perhaps I will like the movie......

^Yes, it's a shame, because you are not the only person who has said things like this. We try to maintain a level of free speech here, where everyone is free to express their opinions in any way they see fit. We only ask that people express differing opinions without being abusive to others. But everyone is so nice around here, that it really doesn't need to be enforced that much. :lol:

I've said it before; if it wasn't Anette's health that caused the split, then I believe that life on the road just became too much for her, especially after having her baby and having to be separated from him for lengthy amounts of time. :(

It could be that on returning to Sweden she got further tests and things were proven to be minor/easily addressed, and so she's leaving it at that. True, she should be more specific for her concerned fans, but at the end of the day it's no one's business.

I just wonder how she's going to feel when she realizes that the overwhelming reaction to her replacement is tremendous approval, that she's a major improvement and a wish that she stay; basically, the opposite of what Anette got when she replaced Tarja. That's gonna hurt.

^Yeah, I think the same thing too. She got hate basically before she joined the band, if you think about it. People were set to hate anyone who was the replacement, it didn't matter who it was. And much as she tried to win people over, many people never gave her a fair break. I mean, I remember when Marco was "the new guy", and hard as this may be to believe, not everyone immediately embraced him either or thought the change he brought was a good thing. But in comparison, people took to him a lot faster in 5 years' time than to Anette, which I also think is somewhat unfair. I don't think anyone would say that Marco didn't work hard, or that Anette didn't work hard either. I always felt it a little unfair, though, that in less time than the 5 years that Anette was in the band, people took to Marco like he had always been there. And that is no disrespect to Marco by any means; I would be sad if he wasn't in the band anymore. I just always felt sorry for Anette that people did not give her nearly as much of a fair shake. :(

Nah, C, we did give Anette a fair shake. And she was not the right person. She belongs singing pop, not power metal. Like I said, when I saw the DPP/Imaginaerum-heavy set list, I thought it was Tuomas burying the Tarja years. Now, with Floor in the band for all of 1 week, they are bringing back Tarja era songs, including their most epic, GLS.

Anette was not up for it, period. I suspect she was chosen for another reason. Most likely she got along best with the band. It was clear she did get along with the boys. Something changed, and I suspect it was Nemo. She just couldn't bear to be away from him.

^Oh, I know *we* gave her a fair chance, but many others did not. :(

I agree, I think having the baby changed things for her; it's easier to leave an older child at home, as they have school and can get by with just one parent around if need be. But a child of Nemo's age is still very dependent on Mom, and no doubt this was very difficult for her. I know that Tuomas' reluctance to bring Anette into the fold was because she had a child, and maybe this is the reason why. Maybe he was concerned how she would react about being away from her kids for months at a time?

^Oh, I know *we* gave her a fair chance, but many others did not. :(

I agree, I think having the baby changed things for her; it's easier to leave an older child at home, as they have school and can get by with just one parent around if need be. But a child of Nemo's age is still very dependent on Mom, and no doubt this was very difficult for her. I know that Tuomas' reluctance to bring Anette into the fold was because she had a child, and maybe this is the reason why. Maybe he was concerned how she would react about being away from her kids for months at a time?

Tuomas should of went with his gut in hindsight. When she says things like "it's just music" it gives off the impression to me that this was just a gig for her, a steady paycheck. Her and the band were both ignorant for thinking this would work. I never had the feeling this was a long term solution and I'm sure many other Nightwish fans did as well. Doesn't help though that she had to fill the shoes of Tarja considering throughout Anette's whole Nightwish career she had to deal with the fact that she indeed wasn't Tarja and if she or any of us forgot, then any online outlet we may choose would be more than willing to remind us all of that fact. No one gets a fair shake when the band leader says in the band's prime something along the lines of "I can't see this band without Tarja.". Her voice started to grow on me by the 2nd album but what's done is done, I have nothin else to say on the subject and it seems neither does anyone else. I never have to see her move around on stage ever again and that in itself is a victory for me.

Anette on stage when she tries to get involved:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree; if it's "just music", then don't take the money that people have invested into you.

I mean, it's clear that the band has to really make a hell of a move this time; that may even mean trying to fix some things that are wrong on their end. I know it can't be entirely the fault of the two other singers that things went wrong. I see where both Anette and Tarja developed diva syndrome, but it's also clear that the "boys' club" in the band might be a little too closely-knit and thus make the ladies feel left out. But on the other hand, I have seen where Tuomas has made exceptions for BOTH singers (like delaying albums so that Tarja or Anette could have space in their personal lives; Century Child was delayed while Tarja went to school, and Imaginaerum was delayed because of Anette's pregnancy). So obviously it is more than "just music" to him, or I think he'd be a lot more cold than people already accuse him of being. If he was as terrible as some folks insinuate, he would have kicked Tarja out as early as when her studies were affecting touring or album-making, or when Anette became pregnant.

I think Ray said it best; if they do not end up choosing Floor permanently, I think they would be better off choosing someone who is young and wants to make their musical career their primary focus (i.e., no baggage, no husbands, no kids). I realize the other guys in the band have kids, but as I mentioned in another post, the parental relationship requires Mom to be around a lot more during the formative years, so I can see where this might be a problem. This is why I think Tuomas went against his initial feeling, because Anette's son was of school age and not exactly so young that he was completely dependent on her. But of course, none of us can foresee the future, and as much as he might have tried to be accepting of certain things, he probably did not account for Anette becoming pregnant again and having strong nesting instincts. :lol:

As far as Anette's stage performance, I never had a problem with her as a singer or as a performer. I always thought the funky dresses were kinda cute and charming, and I always respected that she never tried to fit into the mold of what fans thought she should be (I know a lot of fans gave her grief that she didn't dress "metal" or "goth" enough). I think she really did try her best to incorporate her unique style into Nightwish, and for whatever reason, it just didn't work out in the end. She had a tough act to follow, and I take my hat off to her just for that alone. Above all, I always respected that she never tried to "fill Tarja's shoes", and she tried to just be herself. Whether that always struck a positive nerve with fans is another story. But for all of her flaws, I would rather Anette be herself than to have been a Tarja clone for the last 5 years. That would have been far more a disservice to us as fans than whatever idiosyncracies she brought to the table that some might have found cringeworthy. ;)

I don't see why they would have to choose a singer, actually.

They could have Floor (or someone else) record and tour with them, but not be a 'permanent member,' more of a 'guest musician.'

Therion records with female vocalists all the time, and never has them as permanent band members. Maybe they are on to something...

edit: I see they have added a permanent female vocalist as of 2011. However, they went from 1987 without ever doing that.

^I actually feel the same way; that at this point I think Tuomas would be better off going the Ayreon or Therion route and just using guest female vocalists from now on. Then this way the fans do not have to go through the drama of getting used to a new singer, and then having to wonder if we'll lose her too. Not to mention it opens up so many other opportunities. And for all the Marcoholics out there, it would be almost as good as having him as the full-time lead singer; at least he'd be the permanent singer and not a "special guest star".

The only reason I can think of as to why they would not keep Floor is because she already has her own career and prior commitments. And then of course the things that other folks have brought up here, such as she writes her own songs and may not want to necessarily take a backseat in the creative process.

^I actually feel the same way; that at this point I think Tuomas would be better off going the Ayreon or Therion route and just using guest female vocalists from now on. Then this way the fans do not have to go through the drama of getting used to a new singer, and then having to wonder if we'll lose her too. Not to mention it opens up so many other opportunities. And for all the Marcoholics out there, it would be almost as good as having him as the full-time lead singer; at least he'd be the permanent singer and not a "special guest star".

The only reason I can think of as to why they would not keep Floor is because she already has her own career and prior commitments. And then of course the things that other folks have brought up here, such as she writes her own songs and may not want to necessarily take a backseat in the creative process.

Well as I said before, I don't see why Floor couldn't sing and record Nightwish's work, while at the same time focusing on her own career and band.

Floor already does guest work in a lot of recordings and performances with other bands, even while she was with After Forever, so I don't see how it would be too terribly different from what she already does.

Marco does work with Delain, while continuing with Nightwish. We see that Alissa can tour with Kamelot, yet has her own band. We see that Liv Kristine has her solo work, which does not interfere with Leaves' Eyes, and vice versa. We see that Fergie does her own stuff, yet continues with the Black Eyed Peas.

When you're a career musician, it's common not to keep all your ducks in one basket :)

I don't see any reason why either, but for me, I'm not going to set my heart on anything yet because they have not made any statements one way or the other. Honestly, I don't even think they know right now what their next move is, because everything with Anette happened so suddenly. It's probably a wiser move on their part right now to just let the tour carry on with Floor as a "special guest star"; that way if they are contemplating getting a new vocalist, they can do so in peace without fans bombarding them with audition tapes at all the shows. :lol: And at the same time, if it is their intent to keep Floor on permanently, I think she deserves a formal initiation into the band; more than just filling in for Anette, you know? So if she is going to be the new Nightwish singer, I think it's better all the way around to announce it after the tour is over. Besides, it gives the band time to work with her and get to know her. Maybe they have not decided yet because of this reason; Floor has only been touring with them for a little while and they might need some time to decide if their chemistry is good enough for something more long-term. Either way, I personally think it's a better move on their part not to say one way or the other right now which way they plan to go. Let the fans enjoy the rest of the tour with Floor, and the band can use the breathing space to properly chart their course and figure out their next move.

And sure, it's very common for musicians to do side-projects, but if Floor takes on the job as permanent vocalist, this would be more than a side-project for her. I am not too familiar with her past work, but other folks here have already pointed out that she is a songwriter and used to calling her own shots. So would she want to put her own creative interests aside or make those a "side-project" in order to do this? I mean, that is a huge step for any musician, so I certainly don't expect this decision to be made in a snap. I am more than willing to wait it out, because things like this take time, and well...good things are always worth waiting for. ;)

Also, I think at this point that vying for the spot of Nightwish vocalist is similar to running for President: it's a desirable job, but not always an easy one. Usually the folks who are best for it are wise enough not to want it because they see all the problems that come with it; and many of those who do want it typically are in it for less-than-honorable reasons (such as boosting their own careers?). :(

Are we to assume Anette's health was the main reason she left? Did she struggle to cope with the strain of touring? Whenever I saw clips of them live on Youtube she looks totally out of place, just doesn't fit in, I don't want to sound horrible but she did let herself go late on and you cant do that being in a band like Nightwish.....I don't hate her and I think DPP is their best album but why oh why didn't they get Floor in the first place?? Dream ticket I reckon as she can sing both old/new Nightwish styles which Annette couldn't.....thing is, if in 6 months Floor leaves, and is not gonna be the new vocalist can Nightwish survive yet ANOTHER lead singer change, just when they were getting used to Floor?

My theory remains that they hired Anette because they wanted a friend who fit in first and foremost. They wanted the antithesis of Tarja, who was aloof and kept apart from the band. You can see in older videos, the Hong Kong DVD, etc, that Anette fit right in with the boys and got along well with them. I think it all went to hell when she had the baby. She couldn't bear to be away from him. Every female artist I can think of left the road for years after giving birth. Only Anette and Sharon Den Adel are touring with infants at home, and Sharon has even less of a choice than Anette since she IS the face and voice of WT.

As for a singer, Nightwish is too big to have a revolving door of singers. They need someone full time, and I hope it's Floor. They can't be oblivious to the huge reception she got here, and I can't imagine the reactions in England this month and later at Hartwell. I kind of hope there is all manner of pressure put on Tuomas to keep her. She nailed GLS and does ANette's work justice. What the hell else do they need?

^Another difference between all those other women and Sharon is that Robert is both her musical and her life partner, so he took a backseat from touring to stay home with the kids because they all understand that she's the frontwoman and there's no way she can take the time off, and the kids are too small to drag on the road. Not everyone else is as lucky.

I agree that people getting used to Floor if she is NOT going to be the new singer might be a problem, which is why it's probably best that they do not commit right now to saying anything one way or another. They haven't said either way whether they will keep her on, or if they will look for someone else entirely. Like I said before, I don't even think *they* know yet. And I'm sure since it was not too long of a time ago, they all remember the flood of audition tapes that came their way after Tarja was fired, and do not need that added stress right now on the road. I mean, how disrespectful is that to Floor, to have fans shoving audition tapes in the bands' faces right in front of her?

I also agree that I think having the baby changed things for Anette, and Nemo is too small at this time to be left alone in the care of one parent for those long stretches of time. Also, he's still in the formative years where he needs to have Mom around, and Mom *wants* to be around. I think all in all, this is best for everyone.

As far as Anette's health goes, it seems to all be speculation at this point, considering that not too long after the incidents in Denver regarding her health, she writes on her blog that she's "healthy and strong". So at least to my way of thinking, it's one of two things: the "health problems" was an excuse for her to bow out gracefully without either she or the band losing face, or her health problems are far more serious than she is letting on and wants to have privacy at this time, so she is not divulging the extent of those problems. However, considering how much of her personal life she reveals on her blog, I am thinking it's more of the former and less of the latter.
shrug.gif

She nailed GLS and does ANette's work justice. What the hell else do they need?

^This.

^Another difference between all those other women and Sharon is that Robert is both her musical and her life partner, so he took a backseat from touring to stay home with the kids because they all understand that she's the frontwoman and there's no way she can take the time off, and the kids are too small to drag on the road. Not everyone else is as lucky.

My point is that both women were touring with young children, which is rare. Anette left Nemo home with Johan, just as Sharon left her three little ones with Robert. So if Anette was going crazy on the road away from her little one, it must be x3 for Sharon.

Still, it's not like she really has no option. Sharon has a degree in fashion and does design her own stage outfits. She could walk away from music for several years and just sell her own brand of clothing line. It would probably do very well. It's not unheard of. Jessica Simpson has retired from music and does clothing lines and I read it's almost a billion dollar business.

True, but it still must be difficult for Anette in that Johan is a touring musician as well, so it's not like how Robert did, and just retired from touring altogether to watch the kids. Both Johan and Anette would have to "take shifts", so to speak, and that is probably easier said than done. For example, if Anette was still with the band right now, both she and Johan would be on the road together with Pain and Nightwish touring in the UK. Situations like that probably make it easier for Nemo to come along, but what about instances where Anette's in the U.S. and Johan is in Europe? So yeah, I can only imagine how difficult it is, for all of these women to have to leave their kids behind. :(

And yes, Sharon's designs are much more beautiful than Jessica Simpson's, so she could certainly start her own clothing line if she wanted to! :D

It does seem like they try really hard to keep some sort of stability for the kids; one of the reasons I hear WT has not toured the States again is because of the issue with the kids and being so far away from them, etc. But they have also said they want to "focus more on Europe", which I just think is another way of saying they don't want to travel too far from home, because they have pretty much conquered all of Europe. What else there is left?

Edit: Well, it looks like the question about a vocalist has somewhat been answered in this interview. Tuomas says he will not commit to naming who the vocalist is (whether Floor or someone else) 'till at least 2014. Floor is for sure staying on 'till the tour ends next year, but he also says he hasn't ruled out the possibility of keeping her on permanently. I guess we're no closer to a solid answer, but here it is!

http://mtv3.mobi/uutiset/viihde/musiikki/2012/11/1652872

Kiitos Michèle, for sharing and translating the interview! :)

What people forget is that Floor joining Nightwish was already in the cards after the show in Finland this month. They just boosted up the time frame when Anette was diagnosed with cysts on her liver. So I DO believe that she has SERIOUS health problems. Combine that with the baby, and her sometimes idiotic blog postings, gave the band no options. I DO believe that the parting was mutual. However, I do believe that when Tuomas helped Anette off that chair, he led her to that banana peel that slipped her out the door.

^Yes, we know that Floor was waiting in the wings, so whatever Anette's health issues are, we know that she was on her way out the door anyway. Like I said, if she DOES have health problems, she's not letting on how serious they are, because how can you be diagnosed with cysts one day and then be "healthy and strong" the next day? Either way, it doesn't look like we're getting the whole story. Big surprise there. :lol: