Anette Parting with Nightwish

My wishes for Tarja back are just wishful thinking. I think it's fun to do that, so suck it!

lol

I still don't like Floor for this gig. As a metal singer, she's okay, but I hear people on American Idol with better voices than her. Just because she can go up an octave a little doesn't make her NW material.

X

My wishes for Tarja back are just wishful thinking. I think it's fun to do that, so suck it!

lol

I still don't like Floor for this gig. As a metal singer, she's okay, but I hear people on American Idol with better voices than her. Just because she can go up an octave a little doesn't make her NW material.

X

If you weren't a long time poster at the OSA, I'd swear that comment was meant to troll. People in my house like Idol, so I'm unfortunately passingly familiar with the last few seasons. There were some fair voices in that lot of misguided, soon to be disillusioned fame & fortune hounds, but in my opinion, Floor blows all but one or two of them completely away. I guess we all just like what we like. I've just always considered Floor an amazing vocalist. Her work in After Forever was top shelf.

This is a real tangent, but I wonder if this might not open a few doors for her sister Irene. I've always considered it a shame that Irene, who has an excellent voice herself, has never really had a chance to shine (presumably because she doesn't fit the mold of what a female vocalist should look like). At the very least, a Jansen sisters duet track could be interesting.

I was into NW before pretty much anyone here ever heard of them - I'm not a troll.

I have given After Forever numerous chances, but Floors vocals always have turned me off. They just seem normal. At least with Annette, she brought something different. I didn't like it at first, but she really found her groove on Imaginaerum. The only reason people like her with NW is when she tries her "opera" voice, and be honest - it doesn't hold a candle to Tarja.

X

I was into NW before pretty much anyone here ever heard of them - I'm not a troll.

I have given After Forever numerous chances, but Floors vocals always have turned me off. They just seem normal. At least with Annette, she brought something different. I didn't like it at first, but she really found her groove on Imaginaerum. The only reason people like her with NW is when she tries her "opera" voice, and be honest - it doesn't hold a candle to Tarja.

X

That's interesting to me, I don't find her vocals to be normal or generic at all, but I am also a fan of After Forever. Hey not everyone is going to like the same things. I know she is getting compared very heavily to Tarja because she does have the ability to hit some of higher registers, but I think there is a lot more to her than that.

I would love to see Kelly Clarkson sing for NW.

I think Kelly Clarkson has a dynamite voice, not sure I would want to see her with NW, but of all of the pop singers out there she is one that I have more respect for than others.

X

I know you aren't a troll. :) It was just a way of expressing my disbelief with your comment. As for Anette, the reason she found her groove on Imaginaerum is because the songs were not only written with her in mind, but she and the band were finally familiar with one another. Anyway, comparing Anette to Tarja is definitely an apples and oranges situation. I doubt any objective person would compare such radically different vocalists. So the same would be true for Anette and Floor. There would be a better discussion of Floor vs Tarja, but I'd even hate to have that one, beyond her ability to sing older material.

Kelly Clarkson may put out some bubblegum pop trendy songs, but she still has some serious vocal chops. If Toumas can make Annette great, I'm pretty sure he would work wonders with someone who could sing like Kelly.

Annette was an acquired taste because Tarja's voice was just so goddamn powerful. It took a bit to get used to a voice without much power. Kelly Clarkson would kill it!

X

I finally learned the news of Anette leaving Nightwish slightly over 24 hours ago. Took me almost 3 days to learn about that news. And then, it took me about 24 hours just to read through the entire topic on the official forum and the topics on the OSA forum about this, but now I'm ready to leave my comments on this whole thing.

I'm disappointed that Anette had to leave the band so soon. I thought maybe she would be involved in more than just 2 albums. Even though I've been a fan for about 4 1/2 years, I haven't seen Nightwish at a show yet. I'm not upset about that I'll never get a chance to see Anette perform with Nightwish.

As for Anette's reaction to Elize and Alissa filling in for her, I can't blame her for reacting that way because her judgment was clouded as a result of her illness. She was not in the best position to think properly before spitting out something on her blog that might cause a problem with the other band members. It does seem like she would have been dismissed from the band anyways even if she didn't get upset about that on her blog. That makes me think the dismissal was related to her health. But I hope that Anette gets better and the cyst problem is not something severe like cancer. She really needs to be with her family and friends at a time like this. I think the band did the right thing by continuing the Denver show without Anette, since the audience requested to go on with the show. The audience would have more upset to have no show than to have a subpar show. They paid to see Nightwish and they should be given what they paid for. And to think it would have also been a one-time thing to see Elize and Alissa filling in for Anette, that's got to be a special show for the lucky few that were there. All of the other shows would be using Floor Jansen, unless something happens to her as well.

I think it's nice to have Floor Jansen fill in for Nightwish when they are in need of some temporary help. I love Floor's voice and think she could fit in with Nightwish if they choose to bring her on board as the next permanent vocalist. She could also handle most of Tarja's songs, which means she can sing certain songs live that just didn't work with Anette. I do think Tuomas should consider looking for someone else as the next vocalist before considering Floor. Floor has other duties outside of Nightwish, including her own project ReVamp.

If there are more auditions like the ones used to bring Anette on board, at least the potential candidates will be aware that Nightwish is not an easy band to be part of when it comes to touring. Any potential candidates will be much more likely to handle the rigorous touring schedule compared to Anette. Once Nightwish has their next permanent vocalist, it could end up being a problem as this new vocalist will have to face criticism from both Tarja fans and Anette fans. And then there will be comparisons between the new vocalist and Tarja or between the new vocalist and Anette. While Floor's voice sounds more similar to Tarja than to Anette, some Tarja fans would be pleased with Floor as the new vocalist, but other Tarja fans will be criticizing her for not sounding similar enough to Tarja. Ultimately, instead of having 2 fanbases, there will now be 3 fanbases.

I hope Nightwish does not become like Sirenia and starts going through female vocalists like crazy. Sirenia's first 4 albums all had a different vocalist for each one, although they managed to keep the same one for their 5th album that was used for the 4th album. But overall, Nightwish has only had a total of 2 female vocalists so far, spanning 7 albums. Sirenia had 4 female vocalists over 5 albums. Nightwish has done much better than most bands regarding line-up changes.

^Apparently Morten is more of a "tyrant" than Tuomas, so while it's a legitimate worry that Nightwish could become like them, it's also quite possible that they won't. But you know? I am thinking at this point it might be to their betterment to incorporate their female vocalists as guests, so we aren't all put through the trouble of wondering who a new singer is, arguing over whether or not she's good, ultimately getting used to her, and then being upset all over again when she's let go. If they're guests from the beginning, we know where it stands and never get any more attached to them than need be.

As for everything else you said...couldn't have said it better myself. :D

This isn't about a contest of who's been a fan longer here, but a lot of the people making these posts have been here with the OSA since its inception in 2003, so most of us have been fans for at least a decade or more. :D

lol - if you can tell everyone how many NW shows you've been to, and who you've met and blah blah blah 3 times a day, then I can say I was jamming this band YEARS before you even heard of them.

Suck it!

X

It's like breaking up with a girlfriend....never getting over her....never giving the next girlfriend a fair shot at love....and then ultimately you push her away...only to realize you loved her too.

...and the cycle continues!

X

lol - if you can tell everyone how many NW shows you've been to, and who you've met and blah blah blah 3 times a day, then I can say I was jamming this band YEARS before you even heard of them.

Suck it!

X

Ok it's time to settle down now and dismount the high horse. You are making broad judgements on things that you know nothing about (such as when people started listening) and talking crap about someone who has done more for the band than you ever will. Show some basic respect. Besides, you are hardly the only early listener. Some of us have been listening to Nightwish since early AFF.

I think it's nice to have Floor Jansen fill in for Nightwish when they are in need of some temporary help. I love Floor's voice and think she could fit in with Nightwish if they choose to bring her on board as the next permanent vocalist. She could also handle most of Tarja's songs, which means she can sing certain songs live that just didn't work with Anette. I do think Tuomas should consider looking for someone else as the next vocalist before considering Floor. Floor has other duties outside of Nightwish, including her own project ReVamp.

I'm sure Floor wasn't just a random pick. You have to figure he already considered several people. It just wasn't the open call that existed during the last vocalist search.

Just out of curiousity, how did you start listening to early AFF?

That was back before the days or itunes or youtube....pretty much text based internet. The only way to know of them in America was basically to just stumble across their coverart in a CD store, and AFF's cover art was awful.

someone who has done more for the band than you ever will. Show some basic respect.

I wasn't aware that NW needed anything done for them! Cool though.

Calm down...me and my friends and girlfriend use "suck it" all the time. It's even catching on in the workplace :p

X

I'm sure Floor wasn't just a random pick. You have to figure he already considered several people. It just wasn't the open call that existed during the last vocalist search.
They just accelerated Floor replacing Anette. She was supposed to come in AFTER the USA tour.

Just out of curiousity, how did you start listening to early AFF?

That was back before the days or itunes or youtube....pretty much text based internet. The only way to know of them in America was basically to just stumble across their coverart in a CD store, and AFF's cover art was awful.

Heh the internet wasn't just text in 1997. Hell, Amazon went online in 95. I've been using the net since 92 or 93 (back when it WAS text. Remember Gopher?). As for Nightwish, lets just say there were ways to get your hands on music back then which didn't involve itunes or youtube. I was searching for some Therion, came across some Nightwish in the same place. The name sounded cool, so I gave it a shot.