Anette Parting with Nightwish

The amazing part is how she doesn't miss an opportunity to make herself look like a poor victim who had to go through such horrors. It's long since over with and done, yet it seems that she is still trying to claim some sort of moral high ground.

As for those who have been speaking of her re-joining the band: Such talk was no doubt inevitable from some fans, but completely unrealistic. Still, the gossip mill will always run it's mouth.

This might sound harsh, but the phase "stop living in the past" comes to mind in reference to those people. I for one have enjoyed each Nightwish era for what they have been and I very much look forward to what will come next. Especially if that future happens to contain Floor Jansen. But even if it doesn't, Nightwish has always been a special band. I don't foresee that changing now.

My 2 cents;

ACHTUNG! I received information that made my first two paragraphs moot regarding Anette. This is stuff that was just revealed to me that was not revealed publicly.
Henceforth, I need to offer a correction. My apologies for anyone offended.

I do believe that something is very wrong with Anette physically. I do hope that cyst is benign, and I wish her god speed in her future endeavors. But, this is not your Daddy's Nightwish anymore. It is a business. It has become even more cold-blooded since John Finberg became co-Manager of Nightwish. The way that letter came off was very callous. Though the letter to Tarja was well-written and richly deserved, this was something to the effect that Anette was little more than the maid instead of an important piece of Nightwish.

As for the future: It has become apparent that Floor was going to replace Anette after the USA tour. Though Floor Jansen is a great vocalist, and she will do the material more than justice, NW would be insane if they offered her the gig full-time. Just the same, Floor would be just as crazy to accept. Floor is a creator. Just look at After Forever, ReVamp, and Trilium. She teaches at a University in Holland. She has performed all over the World. In other words, she is Lucassen with a vagina. Floor and Tuomas would be a combustible combination that would not last six months. Two strong-willed and introverted individuals that in the end would cause Ewo to book a flight to Buenos Aires on hands and knees to kiss Senor Cabuli's ass in the Plaza del Madres. She is good for what ails Nightwish at the moment. But, she would be a catastrophe in the long term...one that neither side needs.

What Tuomas need to do is to bring in a young, unknown singer. He needs to unleash his inner Svengali and get a singer who he can develop into the perfect frontwoman. A frontwoman who will lead Nightwish for the next 20 years. No Finnish girl would be crazy or desperate enough to enter the hurricane that is Nightwish. However.....I know just the person. She is an American. She is battle and tour tested. She held up fantastically well in the last tour her band did across America. She is 22-23 and a vocal hybrid. Her upside vocally is frightening. Her stage presence needs a little work. AND, she would be eternally grateful for the opportunity to front a band like Nightwish as she does not come off as a diva. (No, I do NOT know her personally, just the way I think she comes off)

That person is Seven Kingdoms frontwoman, Sabrina Valentine.

Remember, Tuomas is NOT going to get EXACTLY what he wants. However, Sabrina comes off as very malleable. She spends the time with Nightwish in being developed for what Tuomas wants in a frontwoman, she will last for twenty years. not that I am knocking Seven Kingdoms, a fine outfit in its own right. However, I think even SK fans would not fault her if Nightwish came calling. As I said, Tuomas may not get exactly who he wants. But, if he puts the work in, which I think he is very capable of, he will develop what he wants. He just needs the canvas. A canvas named Sabrina Valentine.

I now get off my soap box.

Hey now, Ray, I'm pretty good too. I have developed my own thing. Yes, I am a fan, but I am also 25, and have enough spine to push back. Touring? Please. Remember, I've had extensive training and have no issues performing ill. I've busted my ass for training, have no band experience because no band exists close enough for me to show what I can do. I have been studying the Nightwish history. And I am just crazy and confident enough to do this.

As for the future: It has become apparent that Floor was going to replace Anette after the USA tour. Though Floor Jansen is a great vocalist, and she will do the material more than justice, NW would be insane if they offered her the gig full-time. Just the same, Floor would be just as crazy to accept. Floor is a creator. Just look at After Forever, ReVamp, and Trilium. She teaches at a University in Holland. She has performed all over the World. In other words, she is Lucassen with a vagina. Floor and Tuomas would be a combustible combination that would not last six months. Two strong-willed and introverted individuals that in the end would cause Ewo to book a flight to Buenos Aires on hands and knees to kiss Senor Cabuli's ass in the Plaza del Madres. She is good for what ails Nightwish at the moment. But, she would be a catastrophe in the long term...one that neither side needs.

Totally agree.

I haven't really shared my opinion about any of this yet anywhere, other than I'm really sad and disappointed. The suddenness is so disarming that I'm still speechless. Part of that has to do with the fact that I'd only just SEEN NW a few days before this announcement. It was a highlight of my year (and that's saying a lot as I've had a lot of stuff happening this year). The shows were magical and I noticed nothing amiss.. Absolutely nothing. I've always had a strong connection with Anette because she is what brought me into the fold initially. I am a fairly new fan (DPP era), and the first song I heard was Escapist. I remember thinking "wow who IS this singer???". I delved a little deeper after digesting DPP and found Tarja's era, and the whole story of the band. I loved all of it. I really became hooked watching the End of an Era dvd. One of my favorite things was watching Anette come up with her own interpretations of Tarja era songs. Sometimes she missed the mark, but for the most part I was always impressed and entertained. I come from a family of singers, and she has always been one of the quintessential pop/rock singers to me. The fight between Tarja and Anette was always lost on me, because they are two totally different entities entirely. Anette was fearless in many ways. I feel sorry for the next vocalist to try to fill the shoes, because they have even bigger shoes to fill in now having to be compared to two different singers. My biggest complaint right now is that I haven't had enough time to digest all of this, and the idea of ANY singer (even Floor) coming in right now and trying to do that just makes me depressed. I'm just glad I got to see them before this happened, because I would've been devastated at the shows.

Shhhh Ray you are ruining my moment where I ignored all of this and enjoyed a world where Tuomas and Floor come together and work in perfect harmony and everyone is happy. That being said you make all valid points that have gone through my head more than once in the past few days.

My 2 cents;

I am saddened about Anette. Though I thought she would be a stretch, I DO believe that she was the right choice at the right time: A mature unknown who was battle tested in the regional scene. She was no diva then, AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT SHE IS A DIVA NOW. This woman did not skip a concert to go with friends to see "Taken 2". She did not cancel a tour because she did not "confirm" the dates. She even started to learn Finnish to better communicate with the band!

You know that I was referring to people speaking about Tarja, right?

What she was upset with that when she was in the Hospital, they went ahead and just replaced her like she was a piece of equipment, and not a human being. Yes, I understand that Nightwish was hurting financially, and that they could not cancel a near sold-out show. But, they could have done themselves a lot of good by just at least consult with her the consequences. Hell, they could have gone to Thomas Youngblood of Kamelot for advice, as he had the same problem last year when Kahn broke down just before an important Festival Headline gig. They let Kahn choose the frontman! They could have dropped Epica a line, as they went an ENTIRE GOD-DAMNED tour without Simone....and Amanda Sommerville blew the lid off in every venue she played at. Guess who the frontwoman is for Epica? You got it, Simone Simons!

Of course Amanda was already a well known quantity with the Epica camp. Her choice was very logical.

As I said earlier, I can easily see Floor not lasting for the duration because of much of what you've said (she has a robust career of her own and at this point seems to transcend a single band). I don't believe there would be that level of friction. Perhaps an arrangement might exist to give her some measure of creative control. Otherwise why would she step into a roll that is likely to create friction? In short, I can see Floor hanging for 2 albums and departing, but not because of some high drama. Just because it's time.

What Tuomas need to do is to bring in a young, unknown singer. He needs to unleash his inner Svengali and get a singer who he can develop into the perfect frontwoman. A frontwoman who will lead Nightwish for the next 20 years. No Finnish girl would be crazy or desperate enough to enter the hurricane that is Nightwish. However.....I know just the person. She is an American. She is battle and tour tested. She held up fantastically well in the last tour her band did across America. She is 22-23 and a vocal hybrid. Her upside vocally is frightening. Her stage presence needs a little work. AND, she would be eternally grateful for the opportunity to front a band like Nightwish as she does not come off as a diva. (No, I do NOT know her personally, just the way I think she comes off)

The problem with an unknown is they are not battle tested. As i said earlier: No one can know how they will handle the stress of touring and of being a part of such a big pressure band until they are in it. The contest when Tarja left was effectively what you are talking about. And here we are today. A person has to grow as the band grows, or they need to find someone already on the same level as they. Any other situation is unlikely to ever really work.

That person is Seven Kingdoms frontwoman, Sabrina Valentine.

Remember everyone, this is the personal opinion of one Stingray, and does not in any way represent an endorsement by the OSA.

Hey you know, if Nightwish keeps on going this way, soon enough we might see a group formed out of all the former singers. Sort of like an ex-wives club. *tease*

Hey now, Ray, I'm pretty good too. I have developed my own thing. Yes, I am a fan, but I am also 25, and have enough spine to push back. Touring? Please. Remember, I've had extensive training and have no issues performing ill. I've busted my ass for training, have no band experience because no band exists close enough for me to show what I can do. I have been studying the Nightwish history. And I am just crazy and confident enough to do this.

Tai, you know I love ya. But, if you were ever even CONSIDERED, the sea of bayonets would rise by the same people who ripped you not long ago. They called you every name in the book except "Nightwish fan", and now Tuomas is going to name you the singer?!? The same people that wanted us to push you out of here would suffer a political embarrassment of monumental proportions. If you were selected, before they finish writing the word "Mayhew", Carol, Mojo, Finny and Ewo would be plotting a strategy to make sure that you fail miserably. And that includes a re-enactment of the incident in Mexico when someone got up close and very personal with Tarja. Trust me, Tai. You do NOT want the Nightwish gig. The new kids on the NW fan block, aka the ones brought in the last two years that Carol seems to have control of, would NEVER, under any circumstances, accept you.

Trust me, Tai. There are far better opportunities for you with people that will respect you for who you are. You will be better off in the long run. :):):)

Lots of stuff
Carl, when I mentioned Sabrina, at the beginning of my screed, I wrote "My 2 cents". Not "My .02 as an OSA Council Member". :p And, yes, I know you were talking about others speaking about Tarja.

But, I do take issue with Floor. Floor and Tuomas are very creative individuals. Tuomas regards Nightwish as his child. He will regard Floor as little more than a hired gun. Now, do you think she would keep her mouth shut if she finds a musical problem or allow herself to be told to "Just sing, Bitch!"? She won't, count on that. You will be needing a new frontwoman before they finish the CD! All Floor is right now is a hired gun to finish the tour. If it stays like that, no harm and no foul. However, If someone has drunk too much Minttu Schnapps and offers Floor the full-time gig, and Floor drank too many Heineys and accepts, it will be a recipe for a massive implosion.

^ So don't choose a singer after doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl, when I mentioned Sabrina, at the beginning of my screed, I wrote "My 2 cents". Not "My .02 as an OSA Council Member". :p And, yes, I know you were talking about others speaking about Tarja.

But, I do take issue with Floor. Floor and Tuomas are very creative individuals. Tuomas regards Nightwish as his child. He will regard Floor as little more than a hired gun. Now, do you think she would keep her mouth shut if she finds a musical problem or allow herself to be told to "Just sing, Bitch!"? She won't, count on that. You will be needing a new frontwoman before they finish the CD! All Floor is right now is a hired gun to finish the tour. If it stays like that, no harm and no foul. However, If someone has drunk too much Minttu Schnapps and offers Floor the full-time gig, and Floor drank too many Heineys and accepts, it will be a recipe for a massive implosion.

Hell, Floor will probably turn him into a pretzel by the time this is all said and done LOL. You know he's going to get drunk and say something really dumb or offensive.

Hell, Floor will probably turn him into a pretzel by the time this is all said and done LOL. You know he's going to get drunk and say something really dumb or offensive.

I do not think that will be the case. Tuomas is publicly too much of a gentleman. I just think he needs to develop a singer that will meet his standards.

lol - if you can tell everyone how many NW shows you've been to, and who you've met and blah blah blah 3 times a day, then I can say I was jamming this band YEARS before you even heard of them.

Suck it!

^A DX fan, I take it? ;)

I wasn't saying you can't tell us all that; I was merely saying that some of us have been jamming them for a long time too. No disrespect intended!

Not sure how this turned into a dicussion of why people don't like Floor, or what kind of singer is capable of handling Nigthwish, or whose been listening to Nightwish the longest...

But anyway, I was a little surprised about Annette leaving so suddenly. The press release was right before the Seattle show (my town), same day. Floor did an amazing job, and I have always liked her vocals.

I was never really that impressed with Annette; I saw her in 2007(2008?) and I didn't really like her vocals with Nightwish. Of course, I jumped onboard during the "Tarja" era. Personally, I think Floor fits the bill better. It sounds as though they were planning on having her jump onboard in November anyway (due to her press release before the Anaheim show), so I wonder if Annette was planning on leaving/taking a leave anyway.

I think it would be an amazing oporutnity for her. Just following her blog, I can tell that she really loves the music (she said that she started crying during singing a song). That her creativity would clash with Nightwish's is just speculation, but if that was the case, I don't see why it would be a problem if she continued to passionately sing with Nightwish, all the while continuing to write for ReVamp and teach singing. She doesn't have to contribute to writing the songs to peform them, and add her own 'creative flavor' to them. Tarja didn't write, either, but she added her own touch to the songs. From personal experience, a band isn't a full-time gig unless/until you go on tour, and that isn't even the whole year. You would have time for other musical endeavors in the time between performing, and I don't think a musician as experienced as Floor would have a problem with doing multiple projects.

Just my $0.02.

^From what I understand, Anette was going to part ways with the band after the movie premiere in Helsinki, which was why Floor was able to be flown out so quickly; because she had been rehearsing songs anyway, seeing as how she was going to tour with them after the Helsinki show. But the band's need to bring her on just came a little sooner; apparently this was because of Anette's health, but considering how she writes on her blog that she is "healthy and strong", who really knows?

But yes, since you are still new here, you will learn fast that our discussions tend to go off the track a lot and end up in the strangest places... :lol:

^From what I understand, Anette was going to part ways with the band after the movie premiere in Helsinki, which was why Floor was able to be flown out so quickly; because she had been rehearsing songs anyway, seeing as how she was going to tour with them after the Helsinki show. But the band's need to bring her on just came a little sooner; apparently this was because of Anette's health, but considering how she writes on her blog that she is "healthy and strong", who really knows?

But yes, since you are still new here, you will learn fast that our discussions tend to go off the track a lot and end up in the strangest places... :lol:

Well, she has had a couple weeks. Sometimes all it takes is resting in your own bed, in your own home, having your family take care of you to feel better. I have never been able to overcome illness while travelling, and I can't imagine a tourbus would have helped her heal faster. By looking at her blog, seems as though she's making the best of the situation.

^True, but the way things sounded, she had something really serious; not just a cold that could be recovered from by a few days' rest. Either way, it doesn't look as though she's coming back to Nightwish, even if she is fully recovered from whatever is wrong. Personally, I think the life of a touring musician just got to her, especially after having a baby, and she didn't want to leave him. That's fine and well, but it would have been nice if she'd been able to at least finish out the tour here.

I agree with C... (I still can't manage to qoute, which is pretty damn pitiful) that she should have stayed until the end of the tour in the States, if not for any other sake but for her own sake.

I agree with C... (I still can't manage to qoute, which is pretty damn pitiful) that she should have stayed until the end of the tour in the States, if not for any other sake but for her own sake.

(There's a "quote" button on the bottom right of each post) :)

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it was a good career move, particularly publically putting down her band on her blog site, then leaving during the tour, then saying that she wasn't that sick after the fact.

Either way, there is a lot we don't know here. I hope we learn more, as it is just left to speculation now.

It seems to me, and this is my honest humble opinion, that Annette's career is going to be pretty poor from now on. For one thing, she's in her 40s. Not that it's impossible for people to restart their careers in their 40s, but singing is a very looky-loo career field, and has others have expressed on this thread, bands are looking for young singers to maximize the possibility of lasting through the years to retirement age of the band. To make the band a work-life career, that is. Another thing? She wasn't very well known before, and didn't do a great job establishing herself afterwards. Her blog is the only public site I know of on which she is endorsed, and it's chop full of spelling errors, jarred formatting, and random topics. I just don't see her coming back to the mainstream.

ONe thing I think she could benefit from doing is registering with Google Adsense and putting up some ads on the blog. She's make a chunk of payout every month with all the page views that site gets!