Any good RPG's?

Well I never said that being a mage in Skyrim was not easy. As a matter of fact, it IS easier to be a mage in Skyrim, and slaying the dragons is maybe TOO easy with a mage, because every time you shoot a "two-handed" spell, it stops the monster for a while, which makes killing the dragons WAY too easy... But in Oblivion there were a lot more spells AND you could make your own spells! Maybe I should start over with a melee-archer type of hybrid or something...

And Kenneth, I haven't actually played Morrowind :( I know I should though!

^play on Master?

I think Skyrim trumps Oblivion in every way. The only thing Oblivion has over Skyrim is its campiness. "Stop right there criminal!" "I fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you!"

Now its just:

Gaurd: "hey i know you from somewhere..."
Me: "No you dont."
Gaurd: "Oh okay."

Lord of the Rings online is pretty fun...and free to play and download. Very graphics intensive though so you better have a nice video card. Not as good as WoW, but its up there. Playing Zelda: Skyrim Sword myself right now - great game.

The games mentioned in this thread (besides the MMORPGs) are more like adventure games if you ask me. Well I'm mostly thinking of Oblivion and Zelda. I use the nerdy number-crunching (a.k.a. origin-based) definition of RPG, not the very general "you play a role"-definition. As in; Morrowind per that definition would be the most RPG'ish of the Elder Scrolls games. I think Skyrim is a great game though. But it's more like a hiking simulator than an intelligent, engaging, story-driven RPG with choices and consequences. Those RPGs aren't really made any more, with the exception of indie games. I guess the closest would be Dragon Age, but they pretty much killed that franchise with the shitty sequel. New Vegas was good because of characters, story and choices - but fell short on a lot of the same shortcoming that Fallout 3 had. Namely the poor game engine, run-and-gun gameplay (which objectively isn't a real criticism I suppose, but I come from the original Fallout 1 & 2 games) and A.I.

Give me a party and turn-based RPG (or worst case scenario RTwP - real time with pause, like Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age), with challenging encounters and several solutions to quests with consequences that actually matter (like affecting the outcome of another part of the game, or the ending, or something), and I would be happy.

I do enjoy action RPGs and stuff as well though. I just wish there were more modern games that were more like chess than softball. I could play games like Baldur's Gate 2, IceWind Dale, Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout 2, or Planescape: Torment and still enjoy them more than any game today - and it wouldn't just be nostalgia. I was happy with Dragon Age Origins, but BioWare have totally dropped the ball and seem more interested in making alien dating simulators.

I'm a huge nerd for classic RPGs, sorry for the rant.
And to clarify, I think Skyrim and (probably) Zelda are great games.

I guess the closest would be Dragon Age, but they pretty much killed that franchise with the shitty sequel.
I played the sequel but not the original. I finished it, but I was just going through the motions by the end and I didn't feel the need to go back or explore anything after I was done. I hated Anders - never have I seen a more sniveling, self-righteous terrorist...was he put in the game just for the purpose of pissing the player off?

I take it the original is much better, then?

When I think RPG, I think Final Fantasy. For console - its the single most successful and enjoyable RPG franchise in history...far more than Dragon Quest is in Japan. Zelda is a great game...but its not an RPG. True RPGs should include, at the least, a level system and turn based battles. Been playing Skyward Sword for about a week and while I love it, its not a "true" RPG...thought it does have many elements. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game because I'm not much for the decision making RPGs where you select a choice for everything you do, but I am sure they are great games.

The Final Fantasy format JRPG's and the traditional American RPG's à la Baldur's Gate are really almost completely different things too.

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy X. 12 and 13 weren't that great, and I didn't play the older ones when they first came out, so I have trouble getting past the old graphics. I'm sure they're great games, but for some reason I can only play an older game if I've played it around the time it initially came out, because obviously at the time the graphics didn't bother me, and now since we're all used to having nice graphics, it's just weird to try and play old games. I hope that makes sense.

Skyrim is much better than Oblivion. The combat system is much more fun and interesting. My main character is a battle mage, manly using a war axe to hack down foes and I support myself with fire destruction spells and restoration spells. It works well, but I can see how full on mages would have a walk in the park. There's times where I just stood back and threw countless fireballs and cleared a room and if you're a mage and get the dual cast perk I'm sure it would be really easy.

Just like Dark Souls. If you're a melee character, get ready to be hit a shit load, but if you take a mage you can stand back and throw like 10 soul arrows and take down a boss easily.

To the OP. Why not check out some old school but really good RPGs? Breath of Fire III and Suikoden II are two of my favorite games of all time. I've replayed them a bunch of times and everytime I do I have a lot of fun. They're PS1 games so just grab an emulator and the roms off the net and have a blast.

There's been a fun online RPG'ish game that I've been playing. It's called League of Legends and its free to play and its really fun. It takes a while to get used to the game but you can easily get addicted to it. The characters and design is really fun and if you find good team mates its a blast to play.

When I think RPG, I think Final Fantasy. For console - its the single most successful and enjoyable RPG franchise in history...far more than Dragon Quest is in Japan.
If you're speaking commercially, then you're very mistaken. Dragon Quest is HUGE in Japan and has always been. I remember reading a stat a couple of years ago that said that the best-selling Final Fantasy game ever (part 8) barely sold more copies worldwide than the worst-selling Dragon Quest ever (part 6). In Japan, FF and DQ aren't even in the same ballpark.
That being said, I'm more of an FF guy myself, owning almost every FF game up to part 12 (except for 3 and 11) but having played only DQ8. DQ feels too dated even for my liking.

If you're speaking commercially, then you're very mistaken. Dragon Quest is HUGE in Japan and has always been. I remember reading a stat a couple of years ago that said that the best-selling Final Fantasy game ever (part 8) barely sold more copies worldwide than the worst-selling Dragon Quest ever (part 6). In Japan, FF and DQ aren't even in the same ballpark.
That being said, I'm more of an FF guy myself, owning almost every FF game up to part 12 (except for 3 and 11) but having played only DQ8. DQ feels too dated even for my liking.

I was speaking in US terms as far as FF goes. I knew DQ was huge in JP...I myself as well can't bring myself to play it though. Love the Chrono Trigger, Toriyama art style though. I think Blue Dragon went for the same approach, but from what I read...it failed miserably.

Pretty much the only free MMO people are caring about is GW2. You could try The Old Republic a few months after it launches. It will most likely be free by then due to it not being WoW.

GW1 was fun until people could google super-broken builds that would let them solo dungeons... and then the market for those items went through the roof. At that point, creativity took a dump and if you didn't fit "THE build" you couldn't ever join a party. Unfortunate, cause sometimes 6 mages or no healing can work really well

I hear World of Tanks is good.
It is, one of the manliest online games ever, although I wouldn't consider it being a rpg. More like a slow paced fps with grind.

Also, there's a few dota based free games that seem very, very popular, such as League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth that are probably worth trying out atleast. Apparently League of Legends is the most popular online game at the moment.

Yeah, I play League of Legends sometimes with my friends. It can be good fun if you can communicate with your team mates. The general player community is absolutely awful though. You better get ready to be flamed and encounter tons of quitters, afkers, trolls and all sorts of shit everywhere, unless you play with premade teams.

Has anyone played Ultima Online? There was actually some great private servers once, and it was a blast! You could do so many things it was incredible :OMG:

^ I used to play Ultima games from V to VIII quite a lot. Especially V. Maybe that's why I love Symphony X's V a lot too.