Any Old School/Classic Metal Fans?

Iron_Maiden_Killers.jpg

No Killers? Not sure if I like the S/T or this one better.

I'm am stilll a hardcore maiden fan. Bruce Dickinson has the best voice in the history of metal! Used to like old school judas priest until i watched the video for Breaking the Law. That has to be one of the worst videos I have ever seen. Wont listen to any Priest album but Painkiller anymore.

Iron_Maiden_4.jpg

THE cover art. One of my first c-cassettes (remember those?) ever. Still is one of my all time favourite albums.

Maiden, Motörhead & Sabbath, the key ingredients to some happy memories in my youth. :cool:

Totally in a "cheese of the eighties"nostalgia phase atm.

Sword-Sweet-Dreams.jpg

B0012OVEJY.jpg

RacerX-StreetLethal.jpg

AnimalFuckLikeABeast.jpg

killing-machine1.jpg

(my all time favourite)

Judas_Priest-Unleashed_in_the_East.jpg

album1810.jpg

81_mob_rules.jpg

acceptrestless.jpg

AlbumCovers-Scorpions-Blackout(1982).jpg

Rage-Perfect-Man-143190.jpg

The_ultimate_sin%5B1%5D.jpg

Ah, Candlemass!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uvf0cn0jo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uvf0cn0jo[/ame] DOOM DANCE!

I've been jonesing for old school traditional heavy metal so much lately - I think like in Ermz thread about the rut of music these days, I've been looking for inspiration from when both bands and the productions sounded unique (not necessarily better, but unique none the less).

Way back in the time of vinyl I would go weekly down to a place called The Record Shop here in CT and go to the back of the store where they had a section titles "Import Metal" and I would be in heaven, choosing albums based upon reviews in "Metal Forces" magazine (the best metal rag ever) and upon cover art if I did not know the band.

Here is some of the stuff that I've been listening to heavily - all of which I've owned on vinly at one time of another:

Running Wild: "Branded and Exhiled" and "Gates to Purgatory" - both before the pirate metal phase, but great examples of old school power/speed metal and how can you not like "Rock 'n' Rolf's voice. Songs like "Adrian SOS", "Soldiers of Hell" and the great "Mordor" - love it!

Exciter: "Heavy Metal Maniac" and "Violence and Force" - at the time probably one of the bands most responsible for me wanting to play guitar (or drums - Dan Beehler pounded away like no other may he RIP), but mostly John Ricci's buzzsaw guitar tone and playing.

Armored Saint: Just great straight old traditional American metal - "March of the Saint" and in particular 2001's "Symbol of Salvation" recorded just before and after Dave Prichard's death of Leukemia (a special story for me as I've been through what he had to go through) - may he also RIP. They are in the studio working on a new disc and I can't wait for it.

OZ (not Ozzy, but those crazy Fin's lead by Ape de Martini): "Fire in the Brain" and "III Warning" are great examples of underground metal of the time. Still to this day I can't get the chorus of songs like "Search Lights" out of my head. Cheesy but catchy as hell.

Searchlights glowing over my life
They won’t catch me they wont be there
They don’t know that I am stronger / I’m a strong man
I fight for my life as long as I can

Songs like "Black Candles" or "Crucified" are still great stuff.

Mercyful Fate: "Melissa" and "Don't Break the Oath" - Hank Shermann was the man back then - I thought he was the perfect metal guitarist. Melodic with the ability to rip it up. How can one not like "curse of the Pharaohs" or "Into the Coven" or the triple threat of the later album "A Dangerous Meeting", "The Oath", and "Come to the Sabbath".

Manilla Road: One of my all time favorites still going today. They have released album after album of great metal - I look at them sort of like Black Sabbath - they are kings of the riff, if Sabbath did not write it, Manilla probably did. Love there most recent disc as well titles "Voyager" - if you have not heard it - do yourself a favor and give it a listen. One of the few bands I hate to say that I've never seen live and hope to before they are gone.

Cirith Ungol: Sort of a progressive Sabbathy mix with some real original stuff. "King of the Dead" being one of the great metal albums of all time - so damned swampy, Tim Baker's love or hate em' vocals. They were what the term original should be tied to. I love putting out the lights, grabbing some headphones and listening to Cirith Ungol. Even the half bad half good album "Paradise Lost" has it's great moments

Chateaux: NWOBHM band lead by Steve Grimmett later of Grim Reaper. Released three albums that I wore out long ago. "Chained and Desperate" being my favorite and their first. Songs like "Spirit of Chateaux" and "Baton Rouge" being some of the best tracks.

Last but not least my favorite NWOBHM band aside from Maiden:

Satan: I loved this band and still listen to their debut full length "Court in the Act" at least once every few weeks. They should have been more popular than they were, but puritanical sensibilities of the time and a name like "Satan" probably kept them in the background - hell people though Iron Maiden were devil worshipers for "The Number of the Beast". Satan would change their name a bunch of times - Blind Fury, back to Satan, then to The Kindred, and eventually to Pariah before calling it a day. "Court in the Act" was a vinyl disc that I had damaged and search for literally years to get a new copy of, finally some 20 years later finding one on ebay. Satan was the perfect mix of technical ability and melodic aggressive metal. If you have never heard of them - shame on you, they are a great band of that era and should have had careers much like that of Maiden and Priest.

There are plenty more bands i could list and perhaps will in future posts. Bands like Liege Lord, Jag Panzer, Znowhite, to name a few. All great bands.

OZ (not Ozzy, but those crazy Fin's lead by Ape de Martini): "Fire in the Brain" and "III Warning" are great examples of underground metal of the time. Still to this day I can't get the chorus of songs like "Search Lights" out of my head. Cheesy but catchy as hell.

Shit, that's one band I've never actually heard, I know of them but never heard any of their music. So as you kindly provided a clue in the form of song title, I went to Youtube and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLtCNvKrLS8

There seems to be loads more too. Now I know how I'm spending this night. :cool:

Edit: Black Candles... :headbang: !

Armored Saint: Just great straight old traditional American metal - "March of the Saint" and in particular 2001's "Symbol of Salvation" recorded just before and after Dave Prichard's death of Leukemia (a special story for me as I've been through what he had to go through) - may he also RIP. They are in the studio working on a new disc and I can't wait for it.

1991 ;)

But yeah, it's such an awesome album - their strongest IMHO - crafted under the worst circumstances imaginable.

Edit for necessity: Priest > Maiden!

The thing with Priest is, they've been a lot less consistently good throughout their career compared with Maiden (not surprising, since IMO for almost every single Maiden song, you can find another that has at least one practically identical riff, e.g. Hallowed be thy Name/Alexander the Great :loco: ), but man, when they're on, they are fucking on, and as I mentioned above, Defenders of the Faith is definitely my favorite of theirs - this song is so fucking good, Halford's vocal performance is just incredible :worship:rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8JFDkRWjyk

1991 ;)

But yeah, it's such an awesome album - their strongest IMHO - crafted under the worst circumstances imaginable.

Edit for necessity: Priest > Maiden!

Doh! - you are right, I was looking at the date of the special release version I have of Symbol - the one with the interviews and demos (a great version to get by the way.)

The thing with Priest is, they've been a lot less consistently good throughout their career compared with Maiden (not surprising, since IMO for almost every single Maiden song, you can find another that has at least one practically identical riff, e.g. Hallowed be thy Name/Alexander the Great :loco: ), but man, when they're on, they are fucking on, and as I mentioned above, Defenders of the Faith is definitely my favorite of theirs - this song is so fucking good, Halford's vocal performance is just incredible :worship:rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8JFDkRWjyk

I'm sort of with you on this one - while Priest has released some great discs, I find Maiden to be more reliably enjoyable. Sure we have the Blaze days, but even then, it was probably better than say "Turbo" because it was still Steve, Dave, and Nicko and I could listen to the music and still enjoy it despite Bruce not being there.

I had a best friend back in High School that was the biggest priest fan I've ever known and we often had this exact argument - who was better Priest or Maiden. I'd always argue on the side of Maiden. Then I heard Accept's "Restless and Wild" and I changed the argument to Accept or Priest for a while. :headbang: As stated in other threads I do think that of the big three releases of 1982 - "Restless and Wild" wins hands down against "Number of the Beast" and "Screaming for Vengeance".

Turbo has some great songs man, "Out in the Cold" is one of the best of their career - and to be clear, IMO Priest = quality, Maiden = quantity :D (I used to love Maiden, but I just have gotten a bit bored of 'em in recent years, though I still love 'em)

By the way the "Defending the Faith" tour was far superior to the "Screaming for Vengeance" one despite Maiden opening for Priest on that show when I saw them in New Haven. but - the "Live After Death" tour beat them both out easily.

Turbo has some great songs man, "Out in the Cold" is one of the best of their career - and to be clear, IMO Priest = quality, Maiden = quantity :D (I used to love Maiden, but I just have gotten a bit bored of 'em in recent years, though I still love 'em)

I can understand that view. I think as a general rule Priest's music seems to stay a bit fresher sounding over time than say older Maiden which can sound a bit dated. Listening to that youtube clip you posted and it still sounds modern despite being what 26 years old now? Good choice by the way :headbang: