Any old time original Opeth forum members still lurking around?

Haha, I too was pretty young back in the board's infancy, so I'm hopeful that's the level of detail everyone who is still around remembers.

I'm pretty surprised there are so many people still checking here occasionally, but am glad there are. It's good to hear what people are doing

Ah yes, I think I made mention of that in the other thread about old members. I had some pretty ridiculous ideas back then.

Long time no see, folks.

I think the fact that barely any of us are around anymore is a testament to how the community has changed over time. On the flipside, I'm still a regular over on the Sneap board, which is the only forum I've ever been on that's consistently remained a quality place.

Checked this forum just now on a whim, out of nostalgia, so I guess this thread really does have calling powers. Glad to hear you're all keeping well.

Didn't you make an identical thread a year or two back MetalMan?

PS. I used to be Moonlapse.

so I guess this thread really does have calling powers.

Calling powers indeed. I was just watching the Roundhouse dvd and thought I'd visit the forum again. Still remembered my account login and it's still active too! :)

I never posted much (0.02/day...) but joined somewhere in 2001 so that makes me an old-timer I guess.

IDidn't you make an identical thread a year or two back MetalMan?

Hi there.

I didn't use the search function and don't remember if I did such a thread a few years back. I had been browsing the forums up to me seeing Opeth in May so I decided to post.

Nice to see people still around. I was very surprised to see Satori make a similar thread only days after I made this one. Weird.

I don't post much on internet forums anymore - I guess life just got in the way. But hey, Opeth is still by far my #1 band and I still listen to metal.

Both kids out of the house - 26 year old son married for 1 year now and I will have a grandchild in October (I'll still be under 50 years old as a grandfather - 49 to be exact), 24 year old daughter a nurse.

Just saw Opeth at the House of Blues in Boston (took my son) - we were the first ones in the venue when the doors opened, so we decided to stand front and center rail. Awesome show, but holding back thousands of pounds of human meat was difficult at times.

So hi to all, new and old members. :)

You got a few years on me big fella but yeah, I'd call myself an old time forum member and Opeth fan that still lurks around here on occasion. Opeth still get's the most playtime on my playlist though...that's fer surr.

At the risk of sounding like an elitist I will tell you my thoughts on this forum in its infancy. I have no intention of insulting anybody, but if I do I'm sorry.

Back in 2001 when this forum was born there was a very small group of members as compared to today. With the forum being small and intimate, the postings moved at a much slower pace as there just weren't as many people posting. With the size and speed of the forum, when you logged on you could catch up on a lot as it was so much easier reading what was posted.

The forum had a character to it, mainly due to its size. It seemed to be a close-knit community where it appeared everybody for the most part knew everybody else to some degree. And what made this forum special to me was two-fold: for one, I feel the conversations were deeper and more intellectual. But I want to explain so as not to sound like trashing the current forum. I think that would happen to any forum - with so many people now on the forum (a city as compared to when the forum first started) everything goes too fast, plus there just isn't time to wade through everything posted, and thus I had this feeling to quickly log on to take a look and then leave. Anyways, the conversations in the early days would go on for pages, and many single posts were mini compositions in themselves. There were so many characters - Satori, Misanthrope to name a few. We had some battles - I had a battle with Janet, probably my only internet fight ever. I felt I got to know people on the forum, even though I know that's not true - I only knew people through the typed words on my screen. Regardless, I felt close in an internet sort of way with may people on the forum. The other reason the forum was special to me was at that time we were going through difficult family times, and this forum and its members provided mental help - stability, kindness, compassion, etc.

Then it grew and sped up. From my eyes, the conversations became simpler, and then repetetive. With so many people just not taking the time to use the search function (I'm a culprit too), the same question could be asked a half dozen times. All of that meant an afternoons worth of posting took up an entire page of threads. I notice many threads have only a handful of responses - in the "old days" threads could go on for weeks. Deep stuff - religion, family, etc. I liked it.

So to fault this forum specifically for how I feel about it now is not what I'm doing. It's forums and the internet in general - it's gotten big and fast. And it's hard to find the time to get caught up in it. Back in the beginning of this forum, it could take me 1/2 hour to draft a thread, but it felt good when it sparked a weeks long conversation. Now, I take the time and within a day my post is on page 3 and beyond hidden in obscurity. So I therefore just don't have the time because I do not get much satisfaction back.

Hope that explains my vision of the forum then and now.

Indeed. And a nice hearken to the old days of this board. What ever happened to Misanthrope and Sartori by the way? I remember I got into a massive discussion with Sartori about the influence drugs have had in the composition of music but yeah...we're all a bit older and jaded these days.

Long time no see, folks.

I think the fact that barely any of us are around anymore is a testament to how the community has changed over time. On the flipside, I'm still a regular over on the Sneap board, which is the only forum I've ever been on that's consistently remained a quality place.

Checked this forum just now on a whim, out of nostalgia, so I guess this thread really does have calling powers. Glad to hear you're all keeping well.

Didn't you make an identical thread a year or two back MetalMan?

Hey Moonlapse...long time. Maybe it was you that weighed in on Sartori and I those years ago. iIn any case, keep wel.

good to see you around again ermine, hope all's well. we should get you back, dont think samsara's coping anymore single modding haha.

I'm sure he's doing fine :)

@Cutter: How did you manage to keep your post count so low over the years? Longest registered lurker ever!?

I remember the discussion you're talking about. Strange, but there was always some quality stuff going on when Satori brought the guns to bear. Can't remember how that one ended either. I recall being adamant that one didn't need to be high in order to write good music.

lol still have a bunch of videos and mp3s from forumers playing opeth covers and the like, including a video of moonlapse playing the windowpane solo, still enjoy some of Shards death metal stuff he did as a one man band lol, that dude still about?

well i wasnt a member pre blackwater park, but i used to visit the forum then. I jioned more recently i think it was after the forum was removed for a while and then came back. but few of the old names seem to post any more.

Im looking forward to the next album and seeing a much more coherent album than Watershed less in jokes:hotjump:

I'm sure he's doing fine :)

@Cutter: How did you manage to keep your post count so low over the years? Longest registered lurker ever!?

I remember the discussion you're talking about. Strange, but there was always some quality stuff going on when Satori brought the guns to bear. Can't remember how that one ended either. I recall being adamant that one didn't need to be high in order to write good music.

Yeah, it is quite low isn't it....just sort of phased out after those first few years I guess ...but even then, pretty low. I'm not sure how that one played out either but lets just leave it at that...I'm sure there's other shit to talk about these days.

Yeah, it is quite low isn't it....just sort of phased out after those first few years I guess ...but even then, pretty low. I'm not sure how that one played out either but lets just leave it at that...I'm sure there's other shit to talk about these days.
it sort of helps to keep the post count low when there is about 5 minutes of readable material each month (mine obviously not included). But I still keep getting drawn back.