Any particular reason Labyrinth....

nightwish58

Feb 11, 2002
New York
Visit site
hasn't played this festival yet Glenn? I'm just curious since to me, they are probably the pioneers of progressive metal in Italy. Their last release Freeman was a solid album, and they even released a DVD with the limited edition version. I for one would obviously love to see this band here at PP. Are u even a fan? Any other Labyrinth fans out there that share my thoughts?

Oh yeah, I very much love Labryinth (just to bad that I was listening to Sons of Thunder when I wrecked my car a couple weeks ago, though - maybe tough for me to listen to that for a little while now). Excellent band, and I too, would love to see them at PP. But hey, there are still 6 more bands to be announced (4 for PP itself and two for the pre-party Showcase), so... just maybe....

Oh yeah, I very much love Labryinth (just to bad that I was listening to Sons of Thunder when I wrecked my car a couple weeks ago, though - maybe tough for me to listen to that for a little while now). Excellent band, and I too, would love to see them at PP. But hey, there are still 6 more bands to be announced (4 for PP itself and two for the pre-party Showcase), so... just maybe....

I guess u r right about that; there is still a shot, but based on the past, it really doesn't seem like they are even being considered. Time will tell...

hasn't played this festival yet Glenn?

Perhaps because not every band in the world has played ProgPower yet.

Their last release Freeman was a solid album, and they even released a DVD with the limited edition version.

And their next disc is due out early next year as well.

Are u even a fan?

Harv was the first person I ever saw that reviewed Freeman, and he gave it a glowing review, if that's an indication.

Any other Labyrinth fans out there that share my thoughts?

Count me in.

Perhaps because not every band in the world has played ProgPower yet.

I understand that; my point was that a slew of lesser known names have already played this festival including bands from Italy. Perhaps they were asked and it didn't work out logistically; who knows. I just figured that by
PP 8, these guys would have made an appearance by now. I will keep my fingers crossed i guess...

Allow me to take a giant shit in this thread. Remember, this is all my opinion. Completely opinion. [arrogance]It's just too bad that my opinion is RIGHT! HAH![/arrogance]

Sorry folks, but Labyrinth lost the magic that they once had. I could tell by Sons of Thunder that there was something definitely wrong, and things were changing. While I completely respect that Olaf walked away from the band and let them continue in the direction they wanted, that direction was not what I expected. The extreme precision, vicious attack, faster-than-possible songwriting and stunning musicianship has gone. The self-titled album and Freeman are not what I hoped to hear from the band. I wanted a progressive onslaught, and I got poppy, friendly, radio-ready songs. Just by the production of the album, I could tell they were turning away from the invincible sound of "Save Me", and opting for a more consumer-friendly sound. The drums suffered greatly on Sons of Thunder, the guitar tone went to hell in a handbasket on Labyrinth, and Freeman just sounds so stale and powerless. I must give considerable credit, though, to their keyboardist, because Labyrinth's songs had some amazing and original sounds and layers and keys solos. I give him tons of props. But the band as a whole just lost their power, and went far too off the tracks to enjoy them any more.

I still listen to Return To Heaven Denied and Timeless Crime. Those discs are incredible. I still wish my band were ready to try to cover "Moonlight", but we'd have to double the number of people in our band and I'd have to get kicked in the nuts by Beckham to hit those notes, just to even TRY that song in public! But we still listen to that album on our way to band practice to get psyched up and ready to kick ass, cuz that era of Labyrinth was untouchable.

We got the superior incarnation of Italian power metal this past September. I wouldn't want to see Labyrinth as they are now. It would be a letdown. Like seeing Ozzy with Randy Rhoads in 1982 and comparing it to his Ozzfest shows when he was all drugged up and using a teleprompter. Not the same.

Allow me to take a giant shit in this thread. Remember, this is all my opinion. Completely opinion. [arrogance]It's just too bad that my opinion is RIGHT! HAH![/arrogance]

Sorry folks, but Labyrinth lost the magic that they once had. I could tell by Sons of Thunder that there was something definitely wrong, and things were changing. While I completely respect that Olaf walked away from the band and let them continue in the direction they wanted, that direction was not what I expected. The extreme precision, vicious attack, faster-than-possible songwriting and stunning musicianship has gone. The self-titled album and Freeman are not what I hoped to hear from the band. I wanted a progressive onslaught, and I got poppy, friendly, radio-ready songs. Just by the production of the album, I could tell they were turning away from the invincible sound of "Save Me", and opting for a more consumer-friendly sound. The drums suffered greatly on Sons of Thunder, the guitar tone went to hell in a handbasket on Labyrinth, and Freeman just sounds so stale and powerless. I must give considerable credit, though, to their keyboardist, because Labyrinth's songs had some amazing and original sounds and layers and keys solos. I give him tons of props. But the band as a whole just lost their power, and went far too off the tracks to enjoy them any more.

I still listen to Return To Heaven Denied and Timeless Crime. Those discs are incredible. I still wish my band were ready to try to cover "Moonlight", but we'd have to double the number of people in our band and I'd have to get kicked in the nuts by Beckham to hit those notes, just to even TRY that song in public! But we still listen to that album on our way to band practice to get psyched up and ready to kick ass, cuz that era of Labyrinth was untouchable.

We got the superior incarnation of Italian power metal this past September. I wouldn't want to see Labyrinth as they are now. It would be a letdown. Like seeing Ozzy with Randy Rhoads in 1982 and comparing it to his Ozzfest shows when he was all drugged up and using a teleprompter. Not the same.

I prefer the earlier stuff to the later as well.

Olaf Thorssen is what made Labyrinth great.
:worship:
Vision Divine would blow Labyrinth off the stage now-a-days because they are much more talented. Its like comparing Stream of Consciousness to Freeman...Freeman sucks in comparison. No Limits and Return to Heaven Denied are really great cds...but those days of Labyrinth are gone and the band is not the same. I say bring back the "real deal", bring back Olaf, Luppi, and company...bring back Vision Divine.

I think your opinion sucks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh... like taking a huge dump, I feel so much better now. :heh:

Olaf Thorssen is what made Labyrinth great.
:worship:
Vision Divine would blow Labyrinth off the stage now-a-days because they are much more talented...

Whoah! Whoah whoah WHOOOOAAAHHH... I'll disagree with that portion, because they are still fantastically talented musicians. I just don't like the musical direction and songwriting they're taking. Those boys can still whail if they chose to. They're just not choosing to. Don't wanna get THAT part of my opinion misconstrued.

I think that's the first time I've ever typed 'misconstrued'. Did I get it right?

Yeah, the band only had one good album, but geez, what an album!

They've got enough decent material from other albums to make a good show though. You figure they spend about 40 minutes on Return to Heaven Denied and 35 minutes on songs from the other albums(Save Me, the Prophet) and it would be a pretty awesome show.