Anybody heard the new Mars Volta yet?

their first one is one of my favorite albums, i love it...ftm i still haven't really explored all the way though, they produced it themselves this time around but it seems like a real producer would have helped them focus, which is one thing i find this album somewhat lacking

There is a difference between skill and talent, knowledge of theory and creativity. At times they are appealing and very original, but sometimes it's just too obvious that they try too hard (which is common as of late when it comes to the "avant garde.") Simply put, they go wrong where most prog acts go wrong. That is all I will say. Oh, and note the shity lyrics in "Deloused..." Good concept, bad writing.
...I mean HORRIBLE writing.

*edit*

Oh, and don't make the argument that "The lyrics are genius, just too esoteric and intelligent for the likes of your feeble brain." Anyone can throw together random words and sound "artsy." Sigh, I can see them writing lyrics in some shitty coffee bar, staring down everyone who doesn't look like an intellectual. :Smug: It pisses me off about as much as abstract art.

I'm touching myself! It has nothing to do with the chick with big hoots that just left my office I swear!

Okay I'm trying to figure out where this music comes from, as in how to describe their sound. I think I came up with it:

70's-era King Crimson playing a reworked version of Cuban Pete, in downtown Los Angeles.

This is the 5th 10/10 BUY OR FUCKING DIE album this decade has produced, and the quickest perfect score I've ever given. Any other album has taken at least one full year, this one took a week. (Actually I think Kayo Dot took only 6 months, but STILL, even the last Tool album took me 3 years to final grant it said 10/10 status).

Mind blowing.

Dude. I'm serious. About every 4 minutes on this album I'm awashed in emotion and chills and bonerifity. It does extremely funny things to me.

Masterpieces for the 2000s:

1. Tool - Lateralus
2. Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip vols. 1 & 2
3. Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
4. Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine
5. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

I'm listening to it now. That first track sounds like old Carlos Santana on steroids! I'm also going to read this thread from the beginning now.

Actually, I'll do it later. I taped CSI and I wanna watch this shits cos Tarrantino wrote and directed it. It's a 2 hour special.

CSI totally rocked! Very much Tarrantino and quite gory for TV. Good stuff!

JayKeeley here's a tracklist because if you go most websites it's wrong:

1. Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus: Saracophagi / Umbilical Syllables / Facilis Descenus Averni / Con Safo
2. The Widow
3. L'Via L'Viaquez
4. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Vade Mecum
5. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Pour Another
6. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Pisacis (Phra-Men-Ma)
7. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Con Safo
8. Cassandra Geminni: Tarantism
9. Cassandra Geminni: Plant A Nail In The Navel Stream
10. Cassandra Geminni: Faminepulse
11. Cassandra Geminni: Multiple Spouse Wounds
12. Cassandra Geminni: Sarcophagi

Basically it's one long song split up into 5 segments, and then 3 of those are split up into their own segments. 15 chunks, 12 tracks, 5 segments, 1 song. Got it? :loco:

One Inch Man said:
Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip vols. 1 & 2
i have the original release, one disc...i used to like it a lot but at this point imo i think everything aic did pisses all over it. don't mean to totally rain on your parade, i just don't think it's a 10...then again i haven't heard the "complete" version, so i might be missing something, but judging from what i've heard (half of it, i guess) it's not really anything i'd blow my load over.

cthulufhtagn said:
i have the original release, one disc...i used to like it a lot but at this point imo i think everything aic did pisses all over it. don't mean to totally rain on your parade, i just don't think it's a 10...then again i haven't heard the "complete" version, so i might be missing something, but judging from what i've heard (half of it, i guess) it's not really anything i'd blow my load over.
Read my review, I go into that. ;) Single disc is a solid album but after a few months I grew tired of it. Then the double disc hit and everything came into focus, and made me realize that the single disc version should be drug out to the desert and shot (except I wouldn't dare disrespect music made by him).

http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/nad/jerry cantrell/trip_rev.htm

One Inch Man said:
CSI totally rocked! Very much Tarrantino and quite gory for TV. Good stuff!

JayKeeley here's a tracklist because if you go most websites it's wrong:

1. Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus: Saracophagi / Umbilical Syllables / Facilis Descenus Averni / Con Safo
2. The Widow
3. L'Via L'Viaquez
4. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Vade Mecum
5. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Pour Another
6. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Pisacis (Phra-Men-Ma)
7. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Con Safo
8. Cassandra Geminni: Tarantism
9. Cassandra Geminni: Plant A Nail In The Navel Stream
10. Cassandra Geminni: Faminepulse
11. Cassandra Geminni: Multiple Spouse Wounds
12. Cassandra Geminni: Sarcophagi

Basically it's one long song split up into 5 segments, and then 3 of those are split up into their own segments. 15 chunks, 12 tracks, 5 segments, 1 song. Got it? :loco:

Just to say it's because of the mp3 rip which completely ruin the original tracklisting

One Inch Man said:
Read my review, I go into that. ;) Single disc is a solid album but after a few months I grew tired of it. Then the double disc hit and everything came into focus, and made me realize that the single disc version should be drug out to the desert and shot (except I wouldn't dare disrespect music made by him).

http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/nad/jerry cantrell/trip_rev.htm
good review, definitely addressed my concern...i still doubt i'll pick it up though; it's not really the kinda stuff i'm digging these days...rock on though :headbang: