Anybody Use ATrackball Mouse

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
I'm ordering my new comp components and I want to get a wireless mouse and keyboard. Does anybody use a trackball mouse? I feel like it would be ideal for editing but I don't want to spend an extra 30 dollars for nothing

Edit: Also, this looks pretty nifty

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Expert-Optical-Trackball-64325/dp/B00009KH63[/ame]

Get that trackball. It's hard to explain what you're missing till you actually use one.

If you work long hours for days on end, you'll start to develop pains in your wrist/arm. I found as soon as I switched to a trackball, that never happened again.

Although it's not wireless I've been using a Kensington Pro Trackball flawlessly for over 10 years (yes the same one) and it's amazing.

The closest thing they make to it now is the Expert [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Expert-Optical-Trackball-64325/dp/B00009KH63/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0[/ame]

Can't live without my expert mouse.
In fact I have two of this baby: one I use at my place, and one I use when I work on others studios.:D

Go for it;)

Get that trackball. It's hard to explain what you're missing till you actually use one.

If you work long hours for days on end, you'll start to develop pains in your wrist/arm. I found as soon as I switched to a trackball, that never happened again.

Really? I tried to go the trackball route once. Didn't get farther than two days.

I've been a draftsman for 12 years and audio engineer for 4, so basically 10 hours a day is spent mousing around. My right wrist is fucked. It seemed like I just aggravated the same muscles with the ball. Maybe these Kensington's are better than the smaller logitechs though.

How was your transition? I'm so used to the mouse and everything I do with it in Pro Tools and AutoCAD is lightning fast. The couple dudes who've come into our studio with trackballs are SLOW AS HELL with them. I feel like it would drive me crazy.

It took me like 3 days to get fully used to the Kensington and I find it terribly hard to go back to normal mice without thinking "shit, this is so much slower/less comfortable." Not to mention the extra functions I get out of it - even after I've set up left/right/middle clicks and a horizontal/vertical scrolling toggle, I've still got the two combo buttons to set up as I like. In Chrome, I can close windows or activate "find" and in Cubase I can group/ungroup tracks and bring up the drum quantization window without moving the mouse a single bit.

It took me like 3 days to get fully used to the Kensington and I find it terribly hard to go back to normal mice without thinking "shit, this is so much slower/less comfortable." Not to mention the extra functions I get out of it - even after I've set up left/right/middle clicks and a horizontal/vertical scrolling toggle, I've still got the two combo buttons to set up as I like. In Chrome, I can close windows or activate "find" and in Cubase I can group/ungroup tracks and bring up the drum quantization window without moving the mouse a single bit.

What he said.

Always wanted to go for a flat trackball design, but I just can't stay away from my wireless logitech (though they feel a bit smaller than the older wired models, and I've began to notice my hands cramping quite a bit...)
Looks like I should consider the expert too, and just keep the logi mouse with my midi boards.

Well damn. You guys have me really wanting to try one. As long as I could work just as fast as I do now, it could be a godsend for my poor body.