Anyone catch Dream Theater on this latest tour?

Show kicked ass. If you were there, and didn't like it, then you aren't in any conceivable way a DT fan.

Raise the Knife, Innocence Faded, and the original version of Wait for Sleep(w/out adding the drums like they'd been doing) were the highlights.

Normally I can do without drum solos, but Portnoy's solo featured special guest Charlie Benante of Anthrax. And it fucking rocked.

The venue was interesting. Cool place, although maybe in need of some upkeep. I found the only real problem was the bar(s), which were lacking in almost every way.

And for all you Labrie haters, he was fucking spot-on the entire show, not that I would have expected otherwise, but absolutely amazing.

+1 to all the positive comments so far. So much variety, I saw loads of material I hadn't seen them play before. Really enjoyable. James was spot-on. The drum duet kicked ass! And the video during Octavarium's instrumental section was hilarious.

KILLER show, only topped by... when I saw them in Chicago 2 years ago! But just barely.
That set was something like:

1. As I Am
2. The Mirror/The Mirror (reprise)
3. Beyond This Life (w/ extended improv section)
4. Hollow Years (w/ extended guitar solo)
5. Caught in a Web
6. Endless Sacrifice
7. To Live Forever/extended improv jam
8. A Fortune in Lies
9. Trial of Tears
~~~intermission~~~
10. The Glass Prison
11. This Dying Soul
12. Another Day
13. Vacant
14. Stream of Consciousness
15. In the Name of God
~~~encore~~~
Dead Poets Society (intro tape)
16. A Change of Seasons

You can see, clearly, how this show would be better, because ACOS > OV (I mean, it's the greatest song of all time). If I go head-to-head with what I saw there from various albums, this one mostly wins, except that at last night's show we got TTT and WFS/LTL, which blow Another Day far away.

Zingababla said:
As far as this hogwash goes. Why on earth would this song be bad? It is their greatest song ever. .

Because the first ten minutes of the song are utterly boring and the vocal melodies, lyrics, and concept all suck ass. The only thing I love about that song is the instrumental section of which I loved the little cartoon they played during.

I'm a pretty big Dream Theater fan... but that keyboard solo in the beginning is just boooooooring. And the lyrics are just awful.

The Michael

kellsco said:
Another Won

Oh...and what do you mean by oversold?

Because my girlfriend and I couldn't get a seat anywhere and were among perhaps over a hundred people standing on the second floor behind the top seats watching the show.

And believe it or not, plenty of shows start on time. The only reason this show was running late was because the venue failed to manage the entrance traffic into the building quickly enough (i.e. open the doors early enough). This probably cost you 20 minutes worth of Dream Theater music. There probably would have been a third song in the encore. If this doesn't piss you off... I don't know what would.

I can't believe I'm hearing people stick up for this venue. Dream Theater's performance was excellent... but that building was a big thumbs down. I'm not a big fan of the neighborhood either. It's just run down, dirty and nasty like nobody gives a shit about any building they own... like most of Chicago.

The Michael

Cleveland was a great time and well worth the drive. The set was changed up just enough, the sound was solid, and the place was packed to the gills. Overall, another great DT experience. Two shows down, and NYC to go!!!

The Root of All Evil
Never Enough
Another Won
Afterlife
Take the Time
Innocence Faded
Peruvian Skies
Strange Deja Vu

*Intermission*

The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
I Walk Beside You
Octavarium

*Encore*

Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live

Good to hear that the other shows have been better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by the time they get to NYC, they will be in top form.

A friend of mine said last night on the phone "They are filming for a dvd, there can't be any f@ck ups." - giggle

That was one of the...if not the best Drum solo I have ever heard...Charlie Benante from Anthrax came out and played along side Mike on his ENORMOUS KIT for almost 15 minutes...jamming famous drum fills and cover songs...with the occasional accompaniment of Petrucci on guitar...it was just awesome...I would bank on that being performed in NY and this just practice for it as they were filming it Saturday night.

Michael TEOF said:
Because my girlfriend and I couldn't get a seat anywhere and were among perhaps over a hundred people standing on the second floor behind the top seats watching the show.

And believe it or not, plenty of shows start on time. The only reason this show was running late was because the venue failed to manage the entrance traffic into the building quickly enough (i.e. open the doors early enough). This probably cost you 20 minutes worth of Dream Theater music. There probably would have been a third song in the encore. If this doesn't piss you off... I don't know what would.

I can't believe I'm hearing people stick up for this venue. Dream Theater's performance was excellent... but that building was a big thumbs down. I'm not a big fan of the neighborhood either. It's just run down, dirty and nasty like nobody gives a shit about any building they own... like most of Chicago.

The Michael

Show up on time. Show up on time. Show up on time. Didn't you expect a rather long line? And I left my spot up front numerous times for booze and there was PLENTY of room on the floor. If you were looking specifically for seats, then you should have gotten there earlier.

And I saw no third encore song in Cleveland last night, so maybe they just arent doing 3. Man a killer show like that and you're just splitting hairs by worrying about missing an extra song in the encore. And by the way, Jordan doesnt use keyboard on the intro to Octavarium. Its a fingerboard called a Continuem(sp) and his lapsteel.

And I found the neighborhood to be perfectly fine. I love Mexican food and ate at El Cid right next door to the venue, and it was great. So I'm not sure what you mean by "run-down."

Oversold?

Sorry, but if you could move your arms -- no, wait, if you could breathe -- the show wasn't THAT oversold.

Unlike Dream Theater at Birch Hill in NJ, years ago, where you literally couldn't move your arms or breathe. By far the most crowded show I've ever seen: being lifted off your feet and helplessly carried 5 feet by crowd-surge -- in a not-big venue -- is pretty fuckin' scary.

Sounds like the show there sold out and did well, but wasn't too badly oversold if people could leave and enter the floor without much trouble.

Pellaz said:
Oversold?

Sorry, but if you could move your arms -- no, wait, if you could breathe -- the show wasn't THAT oversold.

Unlike Dream Theater at Birch Hill in NJ, years ago, where you literally couldn't move your arms or breathe. By far the most crowded show I've ever seen: being lifted off your feet and helplessly carried 5 feet by crowd-surge -- in a not-big venue -- is pretty fuckin' scary.

Sounds like the show there sold out and did well, but wasn't too badly oversold if people could leave and enter the floor without much trouble.

Dream Theater at Birch Hill? Weird... that must have been many years ago... they've been playing larger venues in this area for quite some time.

Still, you basically described any show at the Birch Hill... I've seen Iced Earth, In Flames, Blind Guardian, and some others there, and every time, it was a strictly "no breathing" event. In some cases, it was so crowded that even people who wanted to mosh couldn't clear enough space to create even a small pit. Which I suppose was the one positive side effect, heh.

BABS said:
I know, I'm getting excited for this show too. Dig this, went to the Radio City Music Hall site to see the seating chart info. I glance at the calendar of stuff to come and David Gilmour is playing there three days later.

DAMN!

man, I've always said that i would pay anything to ever see pink floyd or even david gilmour or roge waters, but these Damn RE-SALERS have to ruin this with a really impossible price for me to pay. $750 .....i don't get it...pisses me off

Sumeet said:
Dream Theater at Birch Hill? Weird... that must have been many years ago... they've been playing larger venues in this area for quite some time.

Oh, yes. The Home for the Holidays gig, maybe. There were two shows I saw there. One had Rudess/Morgenstein opening (awesome) and the other had a local band or two. Too long ago to remember the details.

Still, you basically described any show at the Birch Hill... I've seen Iced Earth, In Flames, Blind Guardian, and some others there, and every time, it was a strictly "no breathing" event. In some cases, it was so crowded that even people who wanted to mosh couldn't clear enough space to create even a small pit. Which I suppose was the one positive side effect, heh.

The moshing was strictly involuntary. "Although you thought you were standing HERE, all of a sudden you're standing THERE, and try not to trip or fall over, because if you do, you'll never get up again." I remember James had to call attention to the crushing by the stage. It was.......frightening. I've been in some packed shows like that since (Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth here), but nothing like that Birch Hell show.

I remember before the show, some of the oldtime Ytsejammers, myself included, had decided to form a "Black Hole of Death" (empty area on the floor) in the event any crowd-surfers tried to surf during DT's set, so they'd slide back to the ground.

Haha..... In that crush we couldn't have formed a Hawking mini-black hole. As it happens, I don't remember any crowd-surfers there, but there were a couple at the previous night's show (at Malibu Beach Club on LI) -- my glasses were knocked off and damaged and a lens popped out, hence our declaration of war on crowd-surfers. :)

Speaking of this tour. Who else is going to the NYC show?

By the way, I have an extra ticket for the show. I just have to see if my buddy wants to go. Otherwise I am open for offers, so PM me.

Pellaz said:
Oh, yes. The Home for the Holidays gig, maybe. There were two shows I saw there. One had Rudess/Morgenstein opening (awesome) and the other had a local band or two. Too long ago to remember the details.

Now I'm jealous. Rudess/Morgenstein Project kicks some serious ass! I can't believe you saw that live. Very cool.

Flying out on Tues. for Philly. I, along with some friends, will be catching a few shows up in the N.E....including the final show at RCMH.

rockyracoon said:
Now I'm jealous. Rudess/Morgenstein Project kicks some serious ass! I can't believe you saw that live. Very cool.

Yeah, I felt the same way after RMP as I did after Dixie Dregs opened for DT here in Atlanta. "Dream who?" :D (Of course DT slayed at both of those shows, but they were great examples of terrifically talented openers.)