Anyone catch Dream Theater on this latest tour?

Pellaz said:
Yeah, I felt the same way after RMP as I did after Dixie Dregs opened for DT here in Atlanta. "Dream who?" :D (Of course DT slayed at both of those shows, but they were great examples of terrifically talented openers.)

Completely agree. Dixie Dregs were easily my favorite DT opener, and one of the best openers I've seen at any show for that matter. Wow, those were some great shows.

Pellaz said:
Oversold?

Sorry, but if you could move your arms -- no, wait, if you could breathe -- the show wasn't THAT oversold.

Unlike Dream Theater at Birch Hill in NJ, years ago, where you literally couldn't move your arms or breathe. By far the most crowded show I've ever seen: being lifted off your feet and helplessly carried 5 feet by crowd-surge -- in a not-big venue -- is pretty fuckin' scary.

Sounds like the show there sold out and did well, but wasn't too badly oversold if people could leave and enter the floor without much trouble.

Try the Dimmu Borgir/CoB/Hipocrisy/Nevermore show at Lamours a few years back. Most over-sold show I've EVER been to in my whole life, you literally couldnt move ANYWHERE in the venue

TheWhisper said:

Got a call from Jimmy, Kath and Jim from a bar somewhere in Jersey earlier today. The Stone Pony had closed down so they had to move to a new bar and were looking for Mat. Jimmy has his ticket for the show tonight...

Cause you know...me being all the way in New Mexico....I was gonna be a big help.....:lol:

kellsco said:
Got a call from Jimmy, Kath and Jim from a bar somewhere in Jersey earlier today. The Stone Pony had closed down so they had to move to a new bar and were looking for Mat. Jimmy has his ticket for the show tonight...

Cause you know...me being all the way in New Mexico....I was gonna be a big help.....:lol:
I'm sure he was bitching & whining about something, or other...no, you say, not Jimmy...:D

One more day of work, then it's vacation time...
beerbang.gif

Will be flying up on Friday morning and meeting some friends from Pensecola up there. Me and my bud Scott are going to the show and our wives will be hanging out while we go to the concert. Niether one of them like DT at all. We've dragged them to a couple shows before and they still hate em.:Smug:

Only a few more days to go!:headbang:

Zingababla said:
Any set lists from these last shows?
Philly set list from last night:

The Root of All Evil
Another Won
A Fortune in Lies
Take the Time
Caught In a Web
Peruvian Skies/Wish You Were Here/Wherever I May Roam
Raise the Knife
Home
----------
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
Endless Sacrifice
I Walk Beside You
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
***Encore***
Wait for Sleep
Learning To Live

Wallingford, CT - 3/29/06
Set #1:
THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL
ANOTHER WON
AFTERLIFE
PULL ME UNDER
THE MIRROR
LIE
SPEAK TO ME
HOME
MP DRUM SOLO / DUET w/ JASON BITTNER (Shadows Fall)
Including excerpts from Walk This Way (Aerosmith), Good Times Bad Times & Moby Dick (Led Zeppelin), Livin After Midnight & Painkiller (Judas Priest), Hot For Teacher (Van Halen), YYZ, Cygnus X-1 & Tom Sawyer (Rush), Run To The Hills & Where Eagles Dare (Iron Maiden), One (Metallica), By Demons Be Driven (Pantera), Raining Blood (Slayer) and Under A Glass Moon (DT)

Intermission

Set #2:
THE GLASS PRISON
THIS DYING SOUL
NEVER ENOUGH
OCTAVARIUM

Encore:
METROPOLIS
:headbang: :kickass:

I would probably say yes. It is cool that he did another one. It looks similar to the one he did in Chicago. Different guests, though. I wonder who he might come out with on Saturday.

Bear said:
You know I have been an avid supporter and fan of the band since I heard Pull Me Under on Headbangers Ball back in the day. I have to say that was by far the weakest Dream Theater show I have ever witnessed last Saturday night. They were doing songs in Chronological order from Majesty up until a full and complete Octavarium. The songs they picked for San Francisco was pretty crappy. The only good songs that I liked from the first set was, Afterlife Caught in a Web and Take the Time. Then they went into some songs that I never really cared for, Peruvian Skies, Speak To Me, Strange DejaVu - Fatal Tragedy and then closing the first half of the show with Losing Time from Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. They also threw in a Metallica/Pink Floyd in the middle of one of the other songs but my friends and I were changing seating from the balcony to the floor at that time. Then as fate would have it, two of my friends got thrown out of the show for trying to make their way up front. I didn't mind, I was pretty unimpressed with the show as a whole. We bailed to see a Band Called Pain :headbang:

Rant on: The fucking Warfield Security is bullshit. They make a concert experience pretty friggen miserable, always harassing people for trying to find a location to watch the show at, if you do not stay inside the "POLICE LINES" they harass you until you move or bail out all together. I am pretty good at hanging at the Warfield with seeing over 30 shows there but its getting pretty ridiculous, I feel like writing a letter to the management for however good that will do. Anyways rant off, ciao!!

Bear

I agree... I saw them on their current tour not too long ago here in Las Vegas and thier set absoluetly sucked... only 3 good songs..... most of the set list was very boring and uninteresting.... DT last good album imo was metropolis 2 anyway,... i didn't care for 6 degress, train of thought, or octavium...... i personally wished that DT would focus more on their heavier songs from their early albums... during this same show they performed alot of pointless instrumental wankering ( i mean solo-ing) which went nowhere imo....

Wow!

I was thinking they might pull something like that off at Radio City Music Hall. I had the privilege of a lifetime to see Dead Can Dance perform at RCMH a few months ago with a 30-piece orchestra, and it was amazing, worth every penny of the airfare, etc.

Didn't DT record the gig? (If so, lucky....DCD were apparently unable to record theirs. :( )

TheWhisper said:
Wallingford, CT - 3/29/06
Set #1:
THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL
ANOTHER WON
AFTERLIFE
PULL ME UNDER
THE MIRROR
LIE
SPEAK TO ME
HOME
MP DRUM SOLO / DUET w/ JASON BITTNER (Shadows Fall)
Including excerpts from Walk This Way (Aerosmith), Good Times Bad Times & Moby Dick (Led Zeppelin), Livin After Midnight & Painkiller (Judas Priest), Hot For Teacher (Van Halen), YYZ, Cygnus X-1 & Tom Sawyer (Rush), Run To The Hills & Where Eagles Dare (Iron Maiden), One (Metallica), By Demons Be Driven (Pantera), Raining Blood (Slayer) and Under A Glass Moon (DT)

Intermission

Set #2:
THE GLASS PRISON
THIS DYING SOUL
NEVER ENOUGH
OCTAVARIUM

Encore:
METROPOLIS
:headbang: :kickass:

I was at that show, amazing.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say Jason bitter was MUCH more impressive than Portnoy, who double dropped the whole duel (Double drop is POrtnoy's main fill, SS KK TT KK TS KK ) 2 tom or snare then 2 kicks in a 16th note. DIGGA DIGGA dugga dugga Digga Digga dugga dugga etc.

Bittner had impressive speed and consitency, and was much more varied. They traded off some sweet licks too.

Great show, awesome set too.

Pellaz said:
Wow!

I was thinking they might pull something like that off at Radio City Music Hall. I had the privilege of a lifetime to see Dead Can Dance perform at RCMH a few months ago with a 30-piece orchestra, and it was amazing, worth every penny of the airfare, etc.

Didn't DT record the gig? (If so, lucky....DCD were apparently unable to record theirs. :( )

Hells yes they recorded it! They said that the DVD would be out this fall

The orchestra came out after the intermission, the songs played with the orchestra were:

All of Six Degrees (CD 2 from the album)
The Answer Lies Within
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
Metropolis