Anyone feel like some March Metal Madness?

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
The 2008 edition of PM:X2 March Metal Madness will begin soon!

For those of you who don't know what this is, it's a stupid annual voting contest set up to coincide with the NCAA Basketball Tournament. We start with 64 entrants (32 pairings) then by voting whittle it down to 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, and finally our champion. I wanted to make sure to invite my friends from this forum to participate as well! (This is not to be confused with the Metal Madness on the Royal Carnage forum ... I've been doing this other one on the PM:X board for at least 5 years.)

In several past years, the competition was always between bands. Last year, I mixed it up a bit to make it a bracket of 64 vocalists. This year, it's a bracket of 64 metal ALBUMS. I drew up a field of (I hope) famous albums representative of most subgenres (prog, power, death, thrash, black, doom, traditional). The list was put into random order and pairings for the brackets taken in that random order.

The voting will take place on line, via surveymonkey.com. Last year was the first year I used an on-line survey engine and learned that there are doofuses out there who will try to ruin a fun thing by voting multiple times. So this year, I'm asking that if you want to participate in the voting, please send me an e-mail at the address below and provide your e-mail address that I can put on a mailing list. From what I can tell, I can have up to 100 responses to each survey in the free basic version of surveymonkey.com that I signed up for, so the first 100 people to respond get on the list, and I'll use that list to send around links to the survey pages. I don't think 100 people have ever voted in any year, so I don't think this will be a problem.

I hope to compile the mailing list in the next couple of days so that voting in the first round can officially begin this weekend, on selection Sunday! The schedule of the rounds is:

Round of 64: done by 11pm CST Thurs March 20
Round of 32: done by 11pm CST Sun March 23
Round of 16: done by 11pm CST Thurs March 27
Round of 8: done by 11pm CST Sun March 31
Round of 4: done by 11pm CST Fri April 4
Championship Game: done by 11pm CST Mon April 7

Again, please e-mail me if you plan on participating in the voting, links to the survey pages will be given out by e-mail. My e-mail address for this is:

metalprof@verizon.net

Ken

BTW, if you are interested in the albums in the brackets, here they are. This is NOT the order they are paired in, so you can't draw any conclusions about album vs. album until you see the brackets later:

Heaven and Hell
Powerslave
Alive II
British Steel
Holy Diver
Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
Blizzard of Ozz
Rainbow Rising
Moving Pictures
Shout At the Devil
Reign in Blood
Slaughter of the Soul
Time Does Not Heal
Fabulous Disaster
The New Order
Forbidden Evil
Abigail
Peace Sells…But Who's Buying
Master of Puppets
Nothingface
Images and Words
Perfect Symmetry
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Operation: Mindcrime
Holy Land
Into the Electric Castle
Entropia
The Fullness of Time
Streets: A Rock Opera
Control and Resistance
Lateralus
Imaginations From the Other Side
Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt 2
Land of the Free
In Search of Truth
Burnt Offerings
The Fourth Legacy
Dreaming Neon Black
Wishmaster
Decipher
Ecliptica
Theater of Salvation
Still Life
The Sound of Perseverance
Focus
Theli
Tales From the Thousand Lakes
Unquestionable Presence
Crimson
Heartwork
Deicide
Covenant
Tomb of the Mutilated
Black Metal
To Mega Therion
In the Nightside Eclipse
Don't Break the Oath
Pure Holocaust
Nightfall
Ziltoid the Omniscient
Beyond the Crimson Horizon
Forest of Equilibrium
Turn Loose the Swans
Mandylion

Damn, i really wish you would have put Melissa instead of Don't Break the Oath, but it's still an awesome album to represent Mercyful Fate. I'm sure everyone has an "oh... daaaaamn" moment. this looks like it's going to be a tough decision on some of these (i understand this isn't the order, but it is guarenteed that there will be many that will be tough to pick between)

I'll shoot you an email man. Rock.

Damn, i really wish you would have put Melissa instead of Don't Break the Oath, but it's still an awesome album to represent Mercyful Fate. I'm sure everyone has an "oh... daaaaamn" moment. this looks like it's going to be a tough decision on some of these (i understand this isn't the order, but it is guarenteed that there will be many that will be tough to pick between)

Yeah, pretty much each year, the random ordering has created some terrible (meaning hard to pick) matchups right away. That's all part of the fun! Just for giggles, you can see brackets from the last two years at

http://faculty.valpo.edu/kluther1/pmtourneygrid06.xls
http://faculty.valpo.edu/kluther1/pmtourneygrid07.xls

Although I notice that I didn't finish off the last two rounds in them, I'll have to fix that.

Ken

I know it's bad form to bump your own post, but since I want to open the voting in 2008 March Metal Madness this weekend, I wanted to bring this back up so anyone who didn't see it yet can have a chance to join in! The details are in the first post.

The important thing is to e-mail me (or send me a PM with your e-mail address) if you want to participate!

Cheers,

Ken

It does sound like fun... but way too much work as I've only heard one album after the first 25.
Out of the first 25 I've really only heard 14.
And then the first ten were on that list.
Does this make me metally illiterate? :)

The 2008 edition of PM:X2 March Metal Madness is on! Remember that if you want to participate in the voting, send me an e-mail at metalprof@verizon.net

This year, we have a competition between 64 albums. The 32 opening contests can be viewed at the bottom of this post, or in much cooler bracket form at

http://faculty.valpo.edu/kluther1/pmtourneygrid08.xls

POST EDITED TO DISPLAY BAND NAMES, although the albums are listed by title only in the bracket.

As the next 3 weeks go by, We'll vote according to (I hope) this schedule:

Round of 64: done by 11pm CST Thurs March 20
Round of 32: done by 11pm CST Sun March 23
Round of 16: done by 11pm CST Thurs March 27
Round of 8: done by 11pm CST Sun March 31
Round of 4: done by 11pm CST Fri April 4
Championship Game: done by 11pm CST Mon April 7

Region 1
---------

Reign in Blood (SLAYER) vs. Tales From the Thousand Lakes (AMORPHIS)
Holy Land (ANGRA) vs. Unquestionable Presence (ATHEIST)
Still Life (OPETH) vs. Dreaming Neon Black (NEVERMORE)
Tomb of the Mutilated (CANNIBAL CORPSE) vs. Burnt Offerings (ICED EARTH)
The New Order (TESTAMENT) vs. Ziltoid the Omniscient (DEVIN TOWNSEND)
Lateralus (TOOL) vs. Moving Pictures (RUSH)
Abigail (KING DIAMOND) vs. In Search of Truth (EVERGREY)
Beyond the Crimson Horizon (SOLITUDE AETURNUS) vs. Land of the Free (GAMMA RAY)

Region 2
--------

Black Metal (VENOM) vs. Turn Loose the Swans (MY DYING BRIDE)
Theater of Salvation (EDGUY) vs. The Divine Wings of Tragedy (SYMPHONY X)
Shout At the Devil (MOTLEY CRUE) vs. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska (KING'S X)
Nothingface (VOIVOD) vs. To Mega Therion (CELTIC FROST)
Heaven and Hell (BLACK SABBATH) vs. Focus (CYNIC)
Holy Diver (DIO) vs. Master of Puppets (ABBA)
Mandylion (NIGHTINGALE) vs. The Sound of Perseverance (DEATH)
Rainbow Rising (RAINBOW) vs. Don't Break the Oath (MERCYFUL FATE)

Region 3
--------

In the Nightside Eclipse (EMPEROR) vs. The Fourth Legacy (KAMELOT)
Fabulous Disaster (EXODUS) vs. Control and Resistance (WATCHTOWER)
Streets: A Rock Opera (SAVATAGE) vs. Imaginations From the Other Side (BLIND GUARDIAN)
Peace Sells…But Who's Buying (MEGADETH) vs. Wishmaster (NIGHTWISH)
British Steel (JUDAS PRIEST) vs. Nightfall (CANDLEMASS)
Covenant (MORBID ANGEL) vs. Operation: Mindcrime (QUEENSRYCHE)
Heartwork (CARCASS) vs. Entropia (PAIN OF SALVATION)
Forbidden Evil (FORBIDDEN) vs. Powerslave (IRON MAIDEN)

Region 4
--------

Decipher (AFTER FOREVER) vs. Deicide (DEICIDE)
Forest of Equilibrium (CATHEDRAL) vs. Images and Words (JOHN DENVER)
Slaughter of the Soul (AT THE GATES) vs. Theli (THERION)
Crimson (EDGE OF SANITY) vs. Blizzard of Ozz (OZZY)
Perfect Symmetry (FATES WARNING) vs. Alive II (KISS)
The Fullness of Time (REDEMPTION) vs. Time Does Not Heal (DARK ANGEL)
Into the Electric Castle (AYREON) vs. Ecliptica (SONATA ARCTICA)
Pure Holocaust (IMMORTAL) vs. Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt 2 (HELLOWEEN)

It does sound like fun... but way too much work as I've only heard one album after the first 25.
Out of the first 25 I've really only heard 14.
And then the first ten were on that list.
Does this make me metally illiterate? :)

Luckily, I hear your wife has heard most of the albums on the list, so I think you're safe. ;)

Wow, I just checked, and I have/had 33 of these albums... we'll have to have a little metal lesson or two. lol

Man, i already did it without the band names. like you said, if you don't know who did the album, it's obviously not one of the best of all time haha.

Oh, and fucking hell... Rainbow's "Rising" up against Don't Break the Oath? Fucking CRUEL!!! I had to stick by my loyalty to King on that one... my head tells me that i should have voted Dio and Blackmore, but my heart is with the king... <3

if you don't know who did the album, it's obviously not one of the best of all time haha.
It might be. That's enough for me. :saint:

Oh, and fucking hell... Rainbow's "Rising" up against Don't Break the Oath? Fucking CRUEL!!! I had to stick by my loyalty to King on that one... my head tells me that i should have voted Dio and Blackmore, but my heart is with the king... <3
But reading this, maybe I need to ignore my principles and go through that list and vote just to negate your vote for the vocal atrocity that is King Diamond. :lol:
I didn't count Abigail as an album I'd listened to because I turned it off before, well, before... (trying to forget-trying to forget) :zombie:

Of course, there are many more albums on this list that I've deliberately avoided since what little I'd heard of previous releases by the artist left me cold, or worse...

Maybe I should vote anyway... must... not... let... King... Diamond... get... to... the...next... round... o_O

Urban!!! How DARE you badmouth king diamond!

That said, I'd be more than happy to have Rising pull out ahead... it's a wonderful record. As for abigail, it's up against In search of truth... both great records but Abigail just destroys evergrey. Sorry man... it is just the way it is :lol:

Urban!!! How DARE you badmouth king diamond!
Actually, one time after a Tad Morose show, I think it was in Stockholm, this guy comes up to me saying "Helvete! Du är ju tamefan lika bra som Kingen!!! Du lät PRECIS som King!".
If you have even a slight grasp of the Swedish language I'm sure you can imagine how I struggled just to keep a straight face while thanking him for the compliment. :)

but Abigail just destroys evergrey
A perfect matchup, in a way. I could vote blindfold a million times over and never vote the best album out. :lol: