RC March Madness?

I nominate Damnation - Destructo Evangelia for victory

edit: next time we can do this for eps or something like that, live albums or compilations or whatever?

There has to be a finite number to begin with, I'm presuming it might be 128 releases.

I don't even know how to classify an EP anymore. Some EPs are longer than official albums. Look at Gwynbleidd and Kenose. Alcest's "Le Secret" will probably get a few votes too.

There has to be a finite number to begin with, I'm presuming it might be 128 releases.
64 releases. The two previous tournaments have been 64 (which is based on the number of teams in the NCAA men's basketball tournament... March Madness)

I don't even know how to classify an EP anymore. Some EPs are longer than official albums. Look at Gwynbleidd and Kenose. Alcest's "Le Secret" will probably get a few votes too.
And we also have to decide, will we allow more than one release per band? I would think not, but I'm open.

Zod

I think it would be kind of cool to do it based on single songs. So for instance you might have DSO "Carnal Malefactor" vs Drudkh "Wind of the Night Forest", both songs get uploaded so anyone who hasn't heard them can listen and vote, and then it just goes from there.

Haven't really thought through the logistics of it though, like how the songs would be chosen, and it would probably involve too much work though with all the uploading though. Just an idea though. The point being to find out what RCs favourite song of the decade (or whatever time frame was chosen) is.

I think it would be kind of cool to do it based on single songs. So for instance you might have DSO "Carnal Malefactor" vs Drudkh "Wind of the Night Forest", both songs get uploaded so anyone who hasn't heard them can listen and vote, and then it just goes from there.

You realize those just happen to be my favorite Deathspell and Drudkh songs ever! :cool: *manhugs*

Haven't really thought through the logistics of it though, like how the songs would be chosen, and it would probably involve too much work though with all the uploading though. Just an idea though. The point being to find out what RCs favourite song of the decade (or whatever time frame was chosen) is.

I think it's a glorious idea, but man, it would be tough to manage in reality. The other thing is, to be fair with each song, you'd need to spend some time with it. I hate judging songs on one quick listen...

This idea rocks. Whichever songs he does not have can be sent to him by the RC faithful via email until he has all 64 songs ready for upload. The fun begins soon there after.

I have to say, I like the song idea too. After we come up with the 64 songs we can have them hosted in one big package on rapidshare or megaupload or something. This way, I also don't think we'll have to necessarily stick with metal. As long as it's something a good number of us have heard (Tenhi, damnit :loco: ), then the rest can easily catch up and give that song a listen.

Tenhi wouldn't be considered metal-related? I suppose not, but honestly, when you guys were talking about non-metal, I thought you were referring to stuff like The Flaming Lips or Johnny Cash etc.

I honestly don't care for the individual songs idea too much, for various reasons but mainly due to its ease of failure. It might also reduce participation for people who don't know the songs. I think either bands or albums would work just fine.

Yeah, like I said, are people honestly going to pass judgement on one or two listens? I can't imagine what someone would make of "Det Som En Gang Var" on one listen lollerz.

Well how many listens to a whole album or discography should we make mandatory for voting should we use those instead of songs? It takes everyone a different amount of time to absorb something and opinions don't always change over time.

I think the idea of doing songs is just as valid as bands or albums and probably more so because I think we have a better chance of people having at least heard it once before voting.

Oh I see....I thought we were sticking to the rules of "if you haven't heard it, you can't vote".

Stuff like RC Madness depends a lot on people being pretty honest. :tickled:

I think the idea of doing songs is just as valid as bands or albums and probably more so because I think we have a better chance of people having at least heard it once before voting.
I would disagree. Metal is an album driven genre. If people don't know the album, than they typically don't know the song. Regardless, people are going to vote, by and large, based on what they already know.

The idea of posting songs creates a logistical nightmare. Not any one person is going to have all 64 songs on hand. Which means, you'll need to get half a dozen folks, all ripping CDs, ripping at consistent bit rates and posting these songs to some central location, in a timely fashion. Plus, given Metal songs tend to be long, you're probably talking about needing almost a GB of storage space.

Anther thing... most of us don't know song titles. So even if you post a song I love, like Drudkh's "Furrows of the Gods", I would have to spend the time to listen to it before making my decision. Which means, for Round 1, most of us would have to listen to download and listen to 30 - 40 songs. Forgetting about how long that takes to download, it would take several hours to listen to all that music.

Finally, it's a pain in the ass picking 64 bands. Trying to narrow it down further, to which CD we should use from those 64 bands, would be an even bigger pain in the ass. Then, trying to narrow it down to songs?:zombie::zombie::zombie:

Zod

Furthermore, the idea of doing it all by songs narrows the scope of the whole deal, doesn't it? I mean, for some reason it just doesn't seem the results will be as interesting, but that could just be me.

I would disagree. Metal is an album driven genre. If people don't know the album, than they typically don't know the song. Regardless, people are going to vote, by and large, based on what they already know.

The idea of posting songs creates a logistical nightmare. Not any one person is going to have all 64 songs on hand. Which means, you'll need to get half a dozen folks, all ripping CDs, ripping at consistent bit rates and posting these songs to some central location, in a timely fashion. Plus, given Metal songs tend to be long, you're probably talking about needing almost a GB of storage space.

Anther thing... most of us don't know song titles. So even if you post a song I love, like Drudkh's "Furrows of the Gods", I would have to spend the time to listen to it before making my decision. Which means, for Round 1, most of us would have to listen to download and listen to 30 - 40 songs. Forgetting about how long that takes to download, it would take several hours to listen to all that music.

Finally, it's a pain in the ass picking 64 bands. Trying to narrow it down further, to which CD we should use from those 64 bands, would be an even bigger pain in the ass. Then, trying to narrow it down to songs?:zombie::zombie::zombie:

Zod

Furthermore, the idea of doing it all by songs narrows the scope of the whole deal, doesn't it? I mean, for some reason it just doesn't seem the results will be as interesting, but that could just be me.

Completely agreed. Plus a lot of songs work much better contextually than as stand alone tracks.