RC March Madness?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
So, assuming there's interest, I'll run our 3rd RC March Madness tournament. Two things...

1. We should probably have a twist. For instance, only using bands whose debut was 2000 or laer. It doesn't have to be that, but do we really want to spend a few weeks voting, just to have Maiden and Bathory in the finals?

2. Name some bands that need to be in it. Year 1, I forgot Slayer and lurch's head nearly popped off.

Zod

I'm definitely up for this, it's a lot of fun in that "something to do and not take so seriously way".

I remember what Thanatopsis123 was referring to and it was definitely something along those lines to avoid the "how can I pick against Iron Maiden, Bathory, etc." purists. I actually like this kind of rule as these tournaments can be another source of discovery just as the reco threads will be.

Of course, majority rules, so whatever everyone decides is fine with me, though I will also say that I vote for strictly a metal tournament. While you're free on this forum to discuss practically anything in the world you want, it's first and foremost a metal discussion forum. It's what brought most of us together and continues to be the glue that holds us together. Let the tournament celebrate it.

Jason

And are we doing bands, or specific albums?
Again, I'm up for anything. On one hand, albums would be cool. However, we'd first have to fight it out about which disc represents a given artist.

If we get a number of suggestions, on tournament format, we can let a poll decide. I'm in favor of anything that generates music chatter.

Zod

I'm definitely up for this, it's a lot of fun in that "something to do and not take so seriously way".

Yeah right, that is until Opeth loses to Bathory. :loco:

By the way, surely this HAS to be metal. How are we supposed to vote on non-metal artists most of us have never heard? If we stick with metal then at least there's a fair chance we've all heard the album. Or am I misunderstanding what's being asked?

Yeah right, that is until Opeth loses to Bathory. :loco:

LOL - hey, that experience was precisely the lesson I needed. Evolution baby.

JayKeeley said:
By the way, surely this HAS to be metal. How are we supposed to vote on non-metal artists most of us have never heard? If we stick with metal then at least there's a fair chance we've all heard the album. Or am I misunderstanding what's being asked?

Nope, I don't think you are. I'm definitely not interested in voting in a tournament filled with either obscure non-metal releases or even more well known non-metal releases. There's plenty of threads that can be created to recommend and discuss other types of music.

I like the idea of an albums tournament more, one thing we could do to narrow the field would be to go through the old "buy or die" or "if you don't have this, you're fucking stupid" threads and the most frequently mentioned ones would get in. For bands, I would suggest limiting it to either currently active bands and/or ones that have released a full-length album in the past two years, this would allow room for some elder statesmen while weighting it to***ds newer bands.

Why the fuck is w.a.r. censored?

I would like to see the band one continue myself. If you want to go the album route, we should have 2 tournaments.

Afterall, what else do we have to do?!?!

If it's just bands, it'll be Iron Maiden vs Bathory all over again. It's gotta be "the best albums of this decade" because if you don't have it already then it might motivate you to check it out!!

EDIT: Also, "A Matter of Life and Death" will be destroyed in the first round by something like "Om" or "Panopticon".

Zod, are you preparing a list of albums? Do you have a total number you're going for? You could just start a thread asking people to nominate albums or look at the older threads as Demonspell suggested.

Zod, are you preparing a list of albums? Do you have a total number you're going for? You could just start a thread asking people to nominate albums or look at the older threads as Demonspell suggested.
My plan is to start with the threads Demonspell suggested. From there, I'll start a thread and solicit feedback. The tastes on this board are far too broad for me to think I could possibly build this list by myself.

Zod

Right ok, I suppose you'll just need to determine whether those albums listed were from this millenium (unless where it's inherently obvious).