Anyone notice this?

Xorv

Drug the Priest
May 30, 2005
the bowels of lochness
It's probably just me, but I'm starting to notice a trend here. I don't know what the genre is called. Hardcore I think, but I've noticed alot of vocalists are jumping on the bandwagon. Let me get to the point. One minute they'll sing with rhaspy vocals (that sound horrible) then the other minute they're signing with clean vocals (which sound even more horrid). With simple guitar riffs in the background. Seriously, all these bands sound the same to me. Everytime a metal music show comes on. All I hear is clean, rhaspy, clean, rhaspy, clean, growl, clean rhaspy. Holy shit! Pick a fucking style and perfect it!

I know some bands do this style. Like Opeth, but the difference is. Opeth actually do it well.

I'm done.

I guess the bigger question is which bands do this and do it WELL? I dig Soilwork (although haven't heard their newest). Opeth of course <flame retardant enabled>. I like Battlelore but I think there's possibly two different singers doing the clean/growls.

Devin does it well in SYL and DTB, I dig Soilwork and Opeth as well. Whats worse is those bands like Norma Jean, are the band members all playing the same song? It just sounds like the guitar "players" are just strumming all 6 strings open all the time. Put your fingers on the strings for christ sakes. One of the only bands I have to plug my ears for.

Only my opinion of course.

Umm.. I don't think he's talking about Opeth, Devin Townsend, or Soilwork hahahah

He's talking about bands like The Red Chord and other hardcore/metalcore stuff like that.

The Red Chord doesn't do clean vocals...at least they didn't on their first album. Never heard the new one. But yes, the emo vocals combined with a faux death growl are atrocious. Death to screamo.

milkman said:
Umm.. I don't think he's talking about Opeth, Devin Townsend, or Soilwork hahahah

He's talking about bands like The Red Chord and other hardcore/metalcore stuff like that.

I know, but I decided to twist the topic before it turned into a heap of festering smelly verbal doo doo. :yuk:

Alexisonfire are a perfect example of what the guy is talking about.

You can include Trivium as well.

Fucking awful. :confused:

Dodens Grav said:
METAL CHURCH ROAR

GO FIND THEIR LIVE ALBUM

I have that one but haven't listened to it yet, not a big fan of live stuff. I DID check out (finally) Weight of the World yesterday. Good stuff! Scary how much that new guy resembles David Wayne vocally.

Metal Church is one of few bands that absolutely rule all in a live setting. And this is all shit from 1984. David Wayne sounds awesome.

Coincidentally (not really), three of my top five vocalists are expert singers, and can also do harsh vocals well. That would be Devin Townsend, Garm, and Mike Patton. Daniel Gildenlow can do the Matt Barlow type thing, but that's about as "harsh" as he gets.

Perdition's Light said:
The Red Chord doesn't do clean vocals...at least they didn't on their first album. Never heard the new one. But yes, the emo vocals combined with a faux death growl are atrocious. Death to screamo.

Again as with my first point, I thought his topic was on bands that growl and then switch over to "singing" spontaneously with no rhyme/reason - not bands with growling but also with actualy singing "parts" like Opeth, etc..

The Red Chord doesn't do a whole lot of singing, but they do growl and then the next second he'll yell (still not really singing :erk: ) cleanly and go back and forth on a few songs. And yeah, I've only heard Clients. That's my take on his post, but I could be wrong.