Anyone regard The Ritual as Testament's best work?

Argh I didn't mean they were consciously copying nu-metal bands (which did exist at the time, not big like today tho, but that's irrelevant anyway)... it's just that bands tend to slide in the direction of the times. Just look at how Testament has evolved; however, they shook it up with Demonic and the Gathering, throwing several new influences in. :err: Anyone see my point now??

The Ritual is the only Testament album I really hate. I really tried to get into it, but I just couldn't. Hands down, it is the most disappointing CD I've ever bought. I never really got into Demonic, either, but I love all the other Testament discs (Practice What You Preach being my favorite).

I can see people who weren't fans of Testament at the time enjoying The Ritual, kind of like people who weren't Metallica fans in 1991 enjoying the black album, but it was just such a weak effort compared to what they were capable of, and I expected so much more when it came out. I tried picking it back up a couple years back to see if I would like it now, but nope, still hated it.

Oh well, that's just my opinion.

The ritual was the first Testament album I bought, and I used to be into prog metal, so I guess I still really like the Ritual. I have always thought alot of the rituals leads, and riffs were some of the best work Testament did (yet I'm no guitarist, so what do i know)- in fact I think they should rerecord it keeping the solos and riffs and addingthe new testament heaviness that I enjoy much much more.

Yet, as a former drummer, I cannot hide my complete hatred for the drumming- I think the drumming really held the album back from greatness, and so did Chuck's rather monotonous singing, he sounds the same on every single song.

Stun said:
(which did exist at the time, not big like today tho, but that's irrelevant anyway)

Yes, it's irrelevant, but Korn sorta started the 'nu-metal' scene when they released their debut in 95, I guess. So, it didn't exist before that time.

And as for your point, I disagree. I don't find any parts in Low having a nu metal-ish sound into them.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Low is pretty much straight-up heavy metal, based in thrash but with more groove. Nothing "nu" about it. And "Ride" is one of my favorite tracks on the disk, after the title track, "Trail of Tears," and "Hail Mary" (which they really oughta start playing live again.)

I haven't heard The Ritual, only a few songs from the very best of disc. IMO, Signs Of Chaos works as a great intro song. Electric Crown also kicks ass and Return To Serenity is one of the best ballads I've ever heard, it's nice to hear Chuck sing, although I do love his screams and growls as heard on other albums. I'm not crazy about So Many Lies or The Ritual, but I will need to here the entire album for my opinion to mean anything here:devil:

Wtf did ppl even read my posts or what? It's like they saw the word "nu-metal" and didn't care to read the rest of the paragraph. I've clarified myself several times and I NEVER SAID IT WAS NU-METAL. I said Low is a really easy album to get into. It's got that grooviness that nu-metal bands always strive for (THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NU-METAL)... progmetalgod understood what I meant immediately, with his comparison to Sepultura. So why can't anyone else?

I'll be honest...I didn't really read your post; I just sorta scanned the page and noticed that the current conversation was about whether Low was nu-metal. So I added my two cents.

If that's what you mean, yeah, Low has that groove...kinda comparable to 90's Overkill or even a thrashier Suicidal Tendencies.

I actually think Sepultura instigated the nu-metal movement with Chaos AD. Before that album, Metallica/Megadeth/Testament etc. restructed their albums to be semi commercial with choruses that grabbed you by the balls, but still keeping the guitar solos. Sepultura on the other hand, stripped down their songs and Chaos AD hardly had any solos, Pantera then followed suit with Far Beyond Driven and as these albums sold more copies, everyone jumped on the bandwagon and Korn arrived with their downtuned riffs and simplifies songs with NO solos.

Stun, remember what you type, you reap. And right now your ass is a gaping. Nu-Metal sucks and again then you post "groovier" because of the members comments. I would be embarassed if I were you to even type that hyphenated word on this board. Then you saJust look at how Testament has evolved; however, they shook it up with Demonic and the Gathering, throwing several new influences in. Anyone see my point now??
y" Evolved? Remember reading any articles on this board or interviews with the members of Testament talking about how they will always stay true to their sound? Get a clue. They might sound thrashier but never ever will they lean towards Nu-metal

progmetalgod said:
I actually think Sepultura instigated the nu-metal movement with Chaos AD. Before that album, Metallica/Megadeth/Testament etc. restructed their albums to be semi commercial with choruses that grabbed you by the balls, but still keeping the guitar solos. Sepultura on the other hand, stripped down their songs and Chaos AD hardly had any solos, Pantera then followed suit with Far Beyond Driven and as these albums sold more copies, everyone jumped on the bandwagon and Korn arrived with their downtuned riffs and simplifies songs with NO solos.
You make it sound like the "nu-metal movement" as you call it and Sepultura took over the brains of Pantera. I liked Far Beyond Driven , it's a heavy mother! Just cause it's not loaded full of mindless jack-off guitar solos doesn't mean it was leaning towards nu-metal. It's just an evolution of music , meaning bands were most likely realizing that they didn't have to cram every single song with a guitar solo. It gets boring when they don't fit the song. As it is, I think Dimebag has enough god-damn guitar solos.
lol.gif

stun your such a fuck, im glad i started this, now everyone just thinks your a dick who crumbles under pressure. listenin to ritual with my bro, the vocals are good, but the chuck bollocks arent there, and then load the most booming insane riffs start to come in, "so many lies" has just came on my player, thats not a very great riff, nothing to shit on low. boring. However, RETURN TO SERENITY IS A GOD AMONG TESTAMENT SONGS!!!!!! (stuns a spete )

Uh when did I "crumble under pressure"? Since nothing from the internet has ever or will ever put pressure under me, I fail to see how I could crumble under it. I'd like to see you explain exactly what the fuck yer talking about.

I did post "groovier" cause of the members comments. Is that how I "crumbled under pressure"? :rolleyes: Maybe it's cause ONLY ONE GODDAMN PERSON UNDERSTOOD WHAT I MEANT... so I wanted to clarify... just look at Pantera and Sepultura... both of them did almost the exact same thing that Testament did on Low. Okay? Understand now? It seems to me like a bunch of dummies thought I was referring to nu-metal like Linkin Park... :zombie: I was talking about that time period's nu-metal, OBVIOUSLY, since Linkin Park and those other "musicians" DIDN'T EXIST.

Thanks progmetalgod for not tripping out at the sight of the word "nu-metal" and actually, you know, taking time to think before flaming! I'm always let down by the Testament board tho, it's really sad.

PS Oh I forgot to respond to Macabre whatever's post on a diff thread, he wrote: "sorry that makes me look like an idiot , however know this stun ,it is not over between you and I, for low is not nu-metal in anyway and these words you once said will haunt you forever more as you stand in the mere shadow of that foolish comment."
Reading my post above this should answer your question, if not, please don't ever bother to speak to me again. And I'm not sure if you have a vendetta or something against me now, but I don't give a fuck... it isn't over because it was never on... and don't worry about looking like an idiot because of spelling something wrong, you do way too good of a job when you're spelling is all right. So what's it like to be so stupid that you try to create enemies across the internet, even putting words in their mouths, and insulting their mother? Well anyway, me and my friend want to say thank you for the laughs you've brought us.