Anyone regard The Ritual as Testament's best work?

Stun, there was no way that I was freak out at the term' nu-metal' in your post because I knew where you were coming from in the very first post I read from you. Another example of 'pre Sepultura Chaos Ad' starting the nu-metal movement was Metallica's black album which I also believe had some inspuration over the metal scene in general because they had stripped down their previous song style to pave way for 'thrash' metal bands to get some sort of commercial recognition. Megadeth, Testament and Anthrax all dabbled with this 'new' stripped down metal style although some got results and some didn't.

Oh shit! I worded that really poorly. It should've read like "thanks for not tripping out at the sight of the word "nu-metal", and the other ppl should've taken time to think before flaming me." Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't quite sober and missed the mistake...

Stun, yeah I love Ayreon and Star One, Arjen is a genius. How does he do it? Even the missus likes the music as well as the lyrics she understands more than :D My fave is The Dream Sequencer, even more than The Electric Castle. You see I like my prog metal to have that catchy, sing along tunes, which is even more important than the technical side IMO and prog metal bands like that have a knack of writing songs which can appeal to a range of people. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Vanden Plas bands who have this knack IMHO.

Yeah I haven't heard their earlier stuff much... but the Dream Sequencer and Flight of the Migrator are great. He really is talented. And Star One is really cool too! :headbang: I'm not into a whole lot of prog metal but it's usually cool stuff. I just almost always feel like listening to "harder" bands like Children of Bodom. :)

I think Star One is pretty interesting stuff... it's not supposed to be like Ayreon, it's more riff-oriented... and I like how he tells the stories (with multiple singers). But yeah, it is sorta plain after the symphonic goodness of Ayreon. And I like the amount of soloing in Ayreon too, the solos in Star One were more to the point.

About the lyrics... I don't really care, I mean, my fav band is Children of Bodom. :D What the lyrics say isn't important to me for most metal bands.... just how they're delivered.