Anyone rocking an ADA MP1 guitar preamp?

beechstudio

Jun 1, 2005
North Carolina
www.beechstudio.com
Just curious to see if anyone on this board is using the ADA MP1 tube guitar preamp. :worship:

I've owned mine since 1989 and it has never dissapointed!:kickass:

For those who are not familiar with this preamp. It was released in the mid 80's, fully programmable. It will do everything from a spanking clean tone to marshall crunches and Boogie overdrives. Found in a lot of 80's guitar players racks from Paul Gilbert to Queensryche and Nuno Bettencort. Coupled with a tube power amp and a 4/12 cab, it slays!

I was really gasing for one for quite some time, but couldn't find a decent one for a right price. How about the mods? I've read that the 3tube mode and the 666 ( ? ) mode really kill for high gain stuff.

I've wanted one for years, and then picked one up on eBay last month. Not had much time to play with it at volume yet though. :(

My first tube "amp" years and years ago was an ADA MP-1 and Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp in a rack going into a Marshall JCM 2x12. I sold the rack and got a 5150 but last year I had the opportunity to score a MINT MP-1 and a near mint MP-2 in trade for that Marshall cab - I jumped on it. The MP-2 I sold to a friend who's rig WAS an MP-2 but his died, but that MP-1 is still chillin in mah rack by my desk :)

It's a whore, this preamp, it's been around. Metallica used it for leads on one of their early albums, Steve Vai has used one at one point, Gilbert of course, Petrucci... All back in the 80's/early 90's when having a rack was the "in" thing.

Had one for a long time until a couple of years ago when it was invovled in an accident. It was my first tube preamp also. Damn, do I miss that thing.

I bought mine new in '89, it cost me about $850 us when it came out. Hard to believe what these are going for on Ebay now. I tried the MP2 when it came out, but didn't like it near as much. Glad I didn't sell my MP1. I think Skid Row used these on their first album. Michael Wagener said he would never sell his! :)

Wat?

img1245652492050.jpg

It's my gutiarists but I play it more then him. I first tried it on SS mode (didn't know) and thought it was decent. Put it on tube during practice, good god.

But the Gp1000 still has better leads and rhythm if you throw an EQ in there. I think he's planning on getting a the 3TM mod in the future, shoudl make it even more over the top.

Dude, that's a nice sound (and REALLY making me miss my MP-1 now). Also some really nice and tasteful playing. I'm going to have to keep you in mind for some up coming stuff. ;) (doing a lot of 80's hard rock/metal stuff lately)

Hey thanks man :kickass:. I was afraid that the guitar sound was too middy. I am a sucker for 80's guitar tones :)

EDIT: Almost didn't notice. Just hit me up if you need my partake in some of your projects. Ill be more than happy to if I have the time.

I am goddamn WASTED right now :D

Wow! Nice clips Atheist and Decimator!! :headbang:

Can you give us some info on the recordings? ( ie..Signal chain for recording the amp) Were these real drums or software programs etc....?

Great Job!:worship:

Thanks man :kickass:

My Mp1 is completely stock (version2.01). I used Kefir and Guitarhacks JJ Fred 45 impulse. Then on the rhythm guitar group there is Tessla saturation plugin to compress a little bit. That's about it by the guitars. The drums are Steven Slate 3 LE. On the drum bus again the Tessla plugin to compress. I selected the toms from a different kit than the others and possibly the snare too. I'll post more detailed info if needed when I get home and sober up :D

I recorder the clip long time ago, so I don't really remember the details, but it was direct recorder and I guess I used one of GuitarHack's impulses too. Drums are DFHSuperior.