Anyone want me to make a tutorial about something?

i've been wondering alot latey about making a drum kit sound good. i don't mean recorded well. i mean the sound it makes while your in the room with it.

i have a pearl reference to work with, but i imagine a kit is like a guitar. your going to have to get it set up, change string guage and pickups before it's making the sound you want out of it.

do you have any information on that? like skins, tuning of the skins (like ive seen dudes leave their kick skins really loose) even snare wires or add-ons i've never heard of.

if you have any info in this area, specific to getting metal tones out of your drums making a live kit as close to the recorded sound as possible, that would be awesome. even if its just links to places that have already covered this.

i know theres a drum tuning guide, but i want more in depth than that, something that really covers the whole process of getting a sick tone.

Well, the basic thing is that it's all in the source; If the kit sounds good naturally, it will sound good recorded. Glen from the Sneap forum just made the first part of his drum tutorial, I hope he will finish with the next parts soon, where he promised add stuff about mixing too.

Last edited by a moderator:
saw this the other day, was helpful. what about making a snare sound deeper with more thump as aposed to pingy with rattle?

tuning the drums is one thing, but what about methods of chainging their tone? is there anything that can be done or is it all from the shell itself?

if you've got time, i wouldn't mind a tutorial about either making programmed drums sound real (i.e. where to change velocities ect) or how to mix guitars possibly?

Heavy Bass tones/mixing!
Ermz is supposed to do it next on his tutorials but I've been waiting forever for it haha
And I'm horrrrrrible with making heavy bass guitars blend with my guitar tracks :D

what about making a snare sound deeper with more thump as aposed to pingy with rattle

Again it's starting from the source: Great majority of the snares are 14" in diameter, but the depth varies. The size and material of the snare affects the tone of the drum a lot, but so does the tuning of the drumheads and tightness of the snare wires. Also the angling of the mic affects to how much proximity effect you get. Youtube is full of snare comparison videos, start with these videos for example:

But to summarize, if you want a deep sounding snare, well... Buy a snare that is and sounds deep :loco:

Guitar EQing. Maybe one about drum compression?

My general consensus for guitar EQ yet again is "less is more" and "sound at source"; apply 50-100hz highpass and 7-12khz lowpass and try to get the sound good at the source. Lolzgreg had a really good guide of it at the Sneap forum here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/611666-hey-new-guys-come-thread.html#post9249559

For drum compression: Both depend so much on the source and material. Got like a short ~30 second snippet multitrack drums with rest of the band as stereo track?

Heavy Bass tones/mixing!
Ermz is supposed to do it next on his tutorials but I've been waiting forever for it haha
And I'm horrrrrrible with making heavy bass guitars blend with my guitar tracks :D

Try Ola's method, it's pretty kick ass (which reminds me that I need a new bass guitar):

His guitar video is good also:

if you've got time, i wouldn't mind a tutorial about either making programmed drums sound real (i.e. where to change velocities ect)

Well, I could do that. I made this drum cover when the song came out and and I wouldn't mind a re-cap on it. You can hear that I messed up in some fills. "Where to change the velocities" depends on what DAW you use. At least in Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools you do it at the piano roll window.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I got from Joeys post, he uses it as a technique to get everything to a level that's audible and full without clipping. So whether the indivual tracks are hitting 0db or -15db is irrelevant, I think it's just to get a clear mix of each instrument group without clipping. Each submix is then mixed going through his mastering chain to achieve the dynamics (or lack of) and loudness without clipping.

That's how I do it in Reaper anywho, he may be doing it for a different reason but since I started doing this a few months ago it's really helped with my mastering :)

can you make a tutorial on drum clipping?

You mean like _how_ OR _why_ to do it?

Answer to why:

- To reduce peak amplitude and maintain RMS level and to add a bit of distortion/saturation.

Answer to how:

- Insert GClip or IK Multimedia Classic Clipper or other similar thing to a drum track (snare, kick or toms for example) on hard knee mode
- Set threshold so that you get gain reduction and it still sounds good. Use ears, amount of reduction needed depends on the source and the mix.
- Done

Sound example:

I "invented" this by myself too way before I even knew from the Sneap forum (and especially from Joey) what the "gclip trick" and drum clipping was... I used the limiter on my Behringer T1952 compressor on snare and got similar results as you would get when using gclip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/temp/snarecomptest.mp3 (It gets bypassed and turned on every 2 bars)