Arabian Music & Opeth

Serenity Painted Death

New Metal Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
Can anyone give me some names of "exotic" (for lack of a better term)musicians that opeth are influenced by? Mikael mentions something about the martins turning him on to some arabian music and then he wrote bleak from the inspiration. I've been listening to some buena vista social club, but i want to hear some arabian music or other world music that opeth listens to.

I really dont think Opeth listens to these bands but try Salif Keita and ALi Foura Toure- both from West Africa. Orchestra Baobab is interesting also- kind of a cuban african tradtional band. And the new Buena vista social club with Ibrahim Ferrer is ok as well.

I have a band from egypt called Hossam Ramzy- traditional egyptian music, cant say it is all too interesting. Its hard to find middle eastern bands - but I have a friend from Syria- I ll have to ask him for some good traditional bands- you know the middle east listens to god awful pop influenced music with arabian undertones- Ive heard some of this wretched music in his car while drunk a few times.

You could always just listen to Orphaned Land- they are very good- and use middle eastern music mixed with early paradise lost style metal.

I heard Mikael digs 'Ozric Tentacles' (my favorite band aswell)

They're a undefinable band, but a lot of good guitars, synths and most of all, Arabic modes all the way. I really recommend this band to all of you, it's not really heavy but I'm sure EVERYONE here will LOVE it