Opeth rules, Metal sucks

The melodies and simple music is okay, but the guitarplaying does nothing for me. Compared with Poe, In memory, or DNB, DHIADW could have been played by the smashing pumpkins ('cept the vocals, WD is an awesome vocalist)

Poe and DNB were pretty technical, and the guitarplaying was extremely awesome, but with DH, i can just pikc up my guitar, fiddle around for a minute, and have half the album worked out.

It is beautiful music, but it isn't what i have come to expect of nevermore. Nevemore USED to be beautiful and technical. They could have really extended their boundaries with DH by being awesome musically and compositionally, but instead they trapped themselves in a corner....

Back to the original intent of the post..

I do find most metal boring. I've checked out a number of bands frequently mentioned on this forum, but the music hasn't done anything for me. I really liked one Anathema track I heard, but my tastes went backwards from metal to a lot of lighter stuff.

The only metal I listen to other than Opeth is, well, Samael's Passage. I don't know why, but I really like that album.

I find most metal (namely the stuff I bought on a whim) very repetetive and boring. I LOVED Old Man's Child before, but their newest albums have just been uninteresting to me.

I'm still interested in finding some Vintersorg!

But for now, I'm listening to a lot of Zeppelin, Floyd, and Cream. Sometimes it's best to go back to your roots.

Opeth are metal, but they're a branch of metal that evokes a lot more emotion through music and lyric than other bands.

Satori: Tori Amos a Metal goddess? I suppose so.. :D

Opeth has had the opposite effect on me, they have encouraged me to become immesed in the more creative and emotional side of extreme metal, and they have not spoiled my admiration for other genres of metal, especially my simultaneous prog obsession...

Originally posted by hibernal_dream
There really should be a new genre called "Opeth"
and this is my (generalised) definition of the two genres....:

Metal- big, ugly hairy sweaty men screaming unintelligent and incomprehensible words into the mike and furiously twanging a few strings while horrible music echoes from the speakers...

You wrote it well! It is this STUPID opinion upon all metalheads of STUPID POP ASSHOLES! Congratulations!

metal, simple? Sorry wars of winter, but NO. Sure some is, but you obviously aren't listening to the right metal. Go grab some Gorguts old Cryptopsy, newer Death or ANYTHING thats not Mortician, then get back to me on that....

Originally posted by hibernal_dream
To me, Opeth is far more closely related to the likes of Bjork and Tori amos than it is to system of a down and darkthrone (ugh!)

I am going to see Tori Amos tomorrow night. It should be a great concert. I heard she is playing a lot of rare stuff this tour. I'd be interested to hear her play some of her new songs. She covered some songs of The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, Depeche Mode, The Beatles, and Slayer to name a few. I am not the biggest fan of Tori Amos, but I definitely think she is talented.

I went to a metal concert in May, where God Forbid, Angel Dust, Opeth and Nevermore played. That was the coolest freakin concert I have ever been to. Let me tell you, Opeth is *definately* metal. They rocked just as hard as the other bands there, but Opeth was different. None of the other bands had the complex acoustic passages and quiet interludes. Hell, they even played a whole song without *any* distortion. "This is a mellow one" was what Mikael said. And thats the whole point. Opeth is mellow. One minute their screaming, guitars blasting, double bass going a million miles an hour(all classic signs of a kick-ass metal group), and the next thing you know, your listening to a classical guitar passage. It was funny because the people who came to see Opeth were different from the people who came to see Nevermore. I can't explain how... just different. BTW, you should check out Amon Amarth's "Once Sent From the Golden Hall," on which Martin Lopez plays drums. The contrast between his drumming on this album and say, "Still Life" is amazing. Anyway my point is, Opeth is metal because the people in the band are metal.

Go grab some Gorguts old Cryptopsy, newer Death or ANYTHING thats not Mortician, then get back to me on that....

"Anything thats not mortician..." ha ha ha. I like that. :lol:

Originally posted by Sadistik
metal, simple? Sorry wars of winter, but NO. Sure some is, but you obviously aren't listening to the right metal. Go grab some Gorguts old Cryptopsy, newer Death or ANYTHING thats not Mortician, then get back to me on that....

We all love metal here, but you have to admit that even the most advanced metal bands are simple. Death is simple, even Opeth is simple. The complexity is more extensive, although Opeth are a bit different in their concentration of complexity.

---------------------------------
NP: Berg - Violin Concerto