Are Opeth really a metal band?

The Master said:
Or are they really a progressive rock band that happens to be heavily influenced by metal?

I'm tending towards the latter. Maybe I'm insane.

Discuss.

uhh.

Theyre a metal band.....whos heavily influenced by progressive rock.

just think about it....please.....just for a minute.....

Moonlapse said:
They're a metal band with influences in progressive rock. If they're heavily influenced by it, it certainly isn't reflected in their music.

Certainly not. Damnation? What? No, that wasn't Opeth. Certainly not. They certainly didn't just get a permanent keys player that certainly doesn't only play on the non-metal songs and passages of songs.

I'll agree that they are a metal band, I'll even admit I was playing devil's advocate to an extent when I posted this thread (even though I did seriously think about it). But to say they're not heavily influenced by progressive rock is foolish.

The Master said:
Certainly not. Damnation? What? No, that wasn't Opeth. Certainly not. They certainly didn't just get a permanent keys player that certainly doesn't only play on the non-metal songs and passages of songs.

I'll agree that they are a metal band, I'll even admit I was playing devil's advocate to an extent when I posted this thread (even though I did seriously think about it). But to say they're not heavily influenced by progressive rock is foolish.

Are you implying that Damnation was prog-rock?

Children of Bodom also have a keyboard player that plays during the slow and heavy parts of the songs. What point are you trying to make?

The Master said:
They certainly didn't just get a permanent keys player that certainly doesn't only play on the non-metal songs and passages of songs.
First off, Damnation was a one time album, it is not their permenant style. It was supposed to be released with Deliverance to contrast it. Second, lots of metal bands use keyboards, look at Emperor, Dark Tranquillity, Children of Bodom, and many power metal bands