Are Opeth really a metal band?

Moonlapse said:
Are you implying that Damnation was prog-rock?

Children of Bodom also have a keyboard player that plays during the slow and heavy parts of the songs. What point are you trying to make?

moonlapse...in all fairness, i dont feel theres any other way to classify Damnation.

novembre arent death metal (havent been for a long time anyway)...nor are they really "progressive".

why does everyone think a metal band is progressive or at least just like Opeth if they use acoustic guitars?!

Guys does it really matter? they are still awesome whatever happens. Most metalheads would listen to Opeth happily to be honest, i dont think people that didnt listen within the metal genre would listen to Opeth out of choice, i mean i certantly enforce it on my friends because its so great.

I honestly do not think Opeth is very progressive at all. If you think they are because of the change in their album styles over the years...then that can be applied to like any other band on the planet (except Iron Maiden, ACDC, Incantation etc). I just think they have a specific style to balance the clean playing and their unique playing of melodic extreme metal...whether it sounds more death metal or black or doom, or mix between them all. They're overall a very original band with their own style. Compared to other extreme metal bands, yes, they're more progressive...but overall, they're just an interesting, unique extreme metal band. I don't think anyone would be calling them prog if Mikael never confessed his love for 70s prog. Extreme metal bands like Lykathea Aflame, Cynic, old Atrocity, Ved Buens Ende etc. I'd say is kinda prog...but not Opeth entirely.

I had considered starting a thread about a simillar subject, but this seems like an appropriate place..

First, all this sub-genre crap makes me crazy. I run into it a lot as I talk with many aquaintances and some friends (I actually only have a few by choice) about new bands/music we are listening to and recommending to each other.... I thought we would start with something simple.

What is the difference between a hard rock band and a metal band?

Once we figure out what makes a band "Metal", we can start to drill down into the major classes and deeper... maybe someone can explain the cursed "Fill in title - Core" crap.

Ok, then... Let the classifications commence!!

Out.:devil: