Are Opeth really a metal band?

hard rock is a harder version of rock...metal, obviously is a more extreme and harder version of hard rock. Metal lyrics are generally more violent, satanic, angry, philosophical and even cheesey at times...

hard rock bands: led zeppelin, deep purple, soundgarden, pearl jam, Van halen, jimi hendrix, deftones, tool (some is kinda metal), rush

metal bands: judas priest, metallica, pantera, megadeth, black sabbath, slayer, my dying bride, death, helloween, venom, etc

Well, since Opeth started as a straight-up death metal band, and got more progressive when Mikael heard some 70s prog one day and was really impressed and decided to start being more progressive, I'd say that they're a metal band with prog rock influences.

Mantraschism said:
Well, since Opeth started as a straight-up death metal band, and got more progressive when Mikael heard some 70s prog one day and was really impressed and decided to start being more progressive, I'd say that they're a metal band with prog rock influences.

Mikael had already been aware of progressive rock when Opeth took the direction it did many years ago. to my knowledge at least.

Alright then. But I believe there was a time during Opeth, WAY back, when he didn't listen to any prog rock -- he was stictly a metalhead. Shortly after, or maybe when, he became frontman (since he's not an original member) is when he first heard Camel and all that -- I think.

Moonlapse said:
Are you implying that Damnation was prog-rock?

Children of Bodom also have a keyboard player that plays during the slow and heavy parts of the songs. What point are you trying to make?

Not exactly, but it was surely influenced by prog-rock, and it was that influence that made that album in the first place.

And the point I'm trying to make is that Opeth's new keys player *who is now permanent* isn't for the metal stuff, he's for the non-metal stuff. Maybe they'll utilize the keys in the metal for the new album, but that a "maybe". Based on what they've done in the past, it doesn't look promising. Of course, anything's possible. What I'm saying the prog influence is huge.

Although, as pointed out, in the end it doesn't matter one bit what genre they're labeled.

Dreadful said:
hard rock is a harder version of rock...metal, obviously is a more extreme and harder version of hard rock. Metal lyrics are generally more violent, satanic, angry, philosophical and even cheesey at times...

hard rock bands: led zeppelin, deep purple, soundgarden, pearl jam, Van halen, jimi hendrix, deftones, tool (some is kinda metal), rush

metal bands: judas priest, metallica, pantera, megadeth, black sabbath, slayer, my dying bride, death, helloween, venom, etc

Ahahahah love the hard rock description there. Truest ive probably ever seen.

Id have to say that grouping music solely by content won't always work, as the boundaries between rock, hard rock, nu-metal and metal just get too blurred. To me, metal is an approach to music, of trying to push the sound harder, faster, stronger, and more away from mainstream culture. It is all about powerful emotions, nothing diluted or intended for 'anyone to be able to listen'. It is music to grasp you by the balls and squeeze till you can't take no more. Then it begins to twist.

The Master said:
Not exactly, but it was surely influenced by prog-rock, and it was that influence that made that album in the first place.

And the point I'm trying to make is that Opeth's new keys player *who is now permanent* isn't for the metal stuff, he's for the non-metal stuff. Maybe they'll utilize the keys in the metal for the new album, but that a "maybe". Based on what they've done in the past, it doesn't look promising. Of course, anything's possible. What I'm saying the prog influence is huge.

Although, as pointed out, in the end it doesn't matter one bit what genre they're labeled.

an opinion based on pre-requisites of what opeth has done in the past would be quite foolish for your expectations. id bet $1000.00 they will put some sort of keyboard affect on at least one heavy part on the new album...if not often. Seeing as it WOULD be new for them to do, and frankly probably pretty cool if done well.

Whatever genre it is, I love it with all of my body (including my pee pee) :p

Opeth is progressive psychedelic death-folkfusionjazz metal-rock with exquisite influences from classical music. Their intricate compositions reminisce the finest works of the likes of Mozart or Beethoven; however, Opeth is easily superior to classical music as a whole. Furthermore, Opeth’s complex and aesthetic lyrics remain unmatched in both the music and writing worlds, as Michell Akfelelet is quite possibly the greatest poet that ever existed. Oh, and it's hard for simpletons to appreciate.

[/fanboy]

This topic WREEKS of redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy... redundancy