Are Orphaned Land the "oddball" band?

SoNofBitcH said:
am i the only one that thinks the whole oddball thing is getting stupid? i mean think about it. OL could be the oddball. therion could be the oddball. PC69 could even be an oddball. who cares

Well, as I understand it, there can be only one "oddball" band at each ProgPower. I'm still not sure how a band qualifies to be the oddball selection, but I would imagine that death vocals would be a key factor.

If that were indeed the case, then you can pretty much discount the fact that two bands using death vocals would appear at the same ProgPower show in its given state/size.

I'm sure Glenn can change these 'rules' as and when he likes, but I doubt very much that a band like Opeth will be headlining this year simply because Orphaned Land are already booked. Both bands of course use death vox.

Yngvai X said:
Well...Devy's an interesting guy to have at the fest. On one hand, a lot of the 'power" fans might find him too prog for their tastes...but the prog fans might find him too "screamy" for their tastes. So I'm gonna guess its mostly the latter reason for the poor reaction to Devy's set.

Well I've seen him and thought he was kind of boring. His music doesn't strike me as being very proggy, and on the other hand it doesn't even really seem like metal to me, so I don't even know how to describe him, but it's not the kind of thing I listen to.

Those pictures are ridiculous evidence of anything. Virtually any band has a bunch of people holding up there arms and giving the horns when they play. It's just how it works.

jay, therion and OL both have occasional death vox. if not now, a good bit in the past. i'm not sure what kind of set therion plan to put on though. hopefully i will guess right so i won't be disappointed

Dark One said:
I'd also be willing to bet that there are very few of us out there who hear growling vocals for the first time and think "man, this rules!". I know when I first heard them about 6 or 7 years ago I thought "there is no way I'm ever going to get into this" primarily because the vocals were SO different from any singing style I'd ever heard before, in addition to being so rough and raw sounding. But the more spins I gave by bands that used them, the more absorbed I became in the context in which the growls were used. Over time, many of my favorite all time bands have vocalists that utilize growls 50 to 100% of the time.

I was pretty much the same way, a prog-metal fan (and also some powermetal) who didn't like growly vocals. I was the "odd deejay out" at WREKage in Atlanta because I wasn't into death- or black-metal or grindcore, and in fact, that was THE reason I was originally brought into the show.

Then, somehow, something changed, and I can't remember exactly HOW it happened. I think Opeth had a big part to it, and Devin Townsend to a degree (I'd always loved his Ocean Machine CD). I gradually got more and more into growly vox, until now death- and black-metal comprises at least half of my metal listening time, and a large portion of my SeismicRadio playlists as well as my WREKage playlists.

*shrug* I'm still not too much into grindcore, though. :D It's gotta have some sort of melody, tempo-change, or something "interesting" or "neet" to keep my interest.....

Me? I couldn't stand Wine or Beer the first time I tried either one. Now? I still don't like Wine, but I love a good Beer. For some people it's ok if growling vocals are like Wine is to me, but I'd be willing to bet that the singing style would be to many to way beer is to me and they don't even know it because they took a few sips and decided "YUCK!".

Hmmm, uh-oh. The analogy fails here, with me. I still don't like wine or beer. :tickled:

SoNofBitcH said:
jay, therion and OL both have occasional death vox. if not now, a good bit in the past. i'm not sure what kind of set therion plan to put on though. hopefully i will guess right so i won't be disappointed

Oh sure, regarding Therion there's many an argument to be made on "old" versus "new", especially since they started off as a death metal band.

I think they found a good balance around Vovin and Theli, and I admit I like parts of Secret of the Runes, but since then, they've hit a downslide IMO. It's not like their latest release is their best album....plus, they've completely distanced themselves from their death metal days.

Relatively speaking, Orphaned Land have fewer albums and therefore more death vox in their songs. It really depends on how much they'll play from Mabool....

Although it's easy to be selfish and want a career span setlist, I wouldn't be surprised if OL focused only on Mabool, and good for them. It's the right venue, right audience, and the right time to unleash the flood. :kickass:

When I reviewed the album back when it first came out, I made a premonition!!!!!

my review at RC said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So at the end of the day, who’s going to like Mabool? Fans of the old style will be disappointed if they were expecting more of the same, something a little more ‘raw’ perhaps. Well, even though there are still some of the old ORPHANED LAND trademarks, Mabool will now open doors to the prog-world no doubt, and with material like this behind them, it wouldn’t be completely out of the question to see them perform at a future ProgPower festival, along the likes of PAIN OF SALVATION or EVERGREY.

The full review if anyone is interested: http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/jaykeeley/orphaned%20land/mabool_rev.htm

EDIT: Since Mabool is a 'grower', I would change the score I gave it. First few weeks it was an 8.75/10, but a few months later it became an easy 9.5/10.
[/font]

Pellaz said:
Hmmm, uh-oh. The analogy fails here, with me. I still don't like wine or beer. :tickled:

LOL, that's cool, I'm sure there are other things in life you didn't like at first and then realized you actually do have a taste for. Classical Music? Art? Snuggling after sex?

For me, I didn't like either drink at first and then beer grew on me while wine didn't, so the analogy works for me. But for you, you didn't like either at first and you still don't, but you gave them enough of a chance to know that this is how you truly feel, and that is all anyone can really ask of you. :)

Dark One said:
LOL, that's cool, I'm sure there are other things in life you didn't like at first and then realized you actually do have a taste for. Classical Music? Art? Snuggling after sex?

Peanut butter comes to mind. Used to hate it, now I love it. --Perhaps a bit too much. :)

For me, I didn't like either drink at first and then beer grew on me while wine didn't, so the analogy works for me. But for you, you didn't like either at first and you still don't, but you gave them enough of a chance to know that this is how you truly feel, and that is all anyone can really ask of you. :)

Well, not really; I just never really liked the taste of alcohol. :Spin: But...when I can't taste it, like in a daiquiri or something, look out! Err, grateful Therion fans, take note. :wave:

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled Orphaned Land thread. :tickled:

Se7enChurches said:
and my god that show was awesome. That drum solo... jesus...

Ryan

Yep....

Did you see me? I was the only person there in a Symphony X shirt....the 'V' one.....^_^

The oddball is def. PINK CREAM 69..... They are rock n roll..... ORPHANLAND would not be considered an oddball..... There is nothing odd about some growling in metal, thats for sure. If you think that is the case than you have been living under a rock since 88'.

INTO ETERNITY!!!!!!!!! :hotjump:

I think we need an "ethnic beat band" category. Last year, Wuthering Heights and this year, "Orphaned Land". "Not a knock" on either, just that their culture really influences their sound more than other bands.

Orphaned Land might be the oddball (TM) but to tell the truth, "Mabool" just sounds like good, solid progressive metal to me. Sure, there are some growly parts, but Kobi also sings with a clean voice. Not only that, but musically we aren't talking about a nonstop death metal grind. Check out "Halo Dies"; the ending reminds me of Dream Theater in their prime.