Are there any prog metal bands that don't have crappy pwer metal vocals?

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
I know this is gonna piss a few people off, and start some flames, but:

The Music of bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Adagio, Spiral Architect and others are ruined by high pitched power vocals which just cause pain in the ears for me.

Why is this???

I know there are prog bands like Opeth and such. But when I try to find some great prog music, I can never get past those damn atrocious vocals.

anyway, discuss.

Originally posted by requiem

That guy always seemed to me to be a Bruce D. clone.

Tell me you haven't thought about it ;) :p

Nope, Warrel has a very original voice.
I can't understand why people always hate bands with real singers... after a while DT grows on you.

Give Pain of Salvation a listen. The vocals are a big reason why I listen to this band and maybe Gildenlow vocal style might not annoy you. The closest style he reminds me of is Mike Patten when he was with Faith No More. This is more obvious with PoS's first two discs.

Antithesis's disc Dying for Life is another Prog metal disc with a srong vocalist.

Mystic Force's disc Man Vs. Machine. One warning is that this guy sounds like Goeff Tate at times in this disc.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I know this is gonna piss a few people off, and start some flames, but:

The Music of bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Adagio, Spiral Architect and others are ruined by high pitched power vocals which just cause pain in the ears for me.

Why is this???

I know there are prog bands like Opeth and such. But when I try to find some great prog music, I can never get past those damn atrocious vocals.

anyway, discuss.

hmm i agree, i don't see what's so great about that exxaggerated style with loads of vibrato..ugh.............go sing an opera ffs. (mr. dickinson/mr. labrie/etc..im sorry but i hate their style)

Sooo, are there any bands that make this style of music and don't have this annoying kind of singers??????? :p

Originally posted by Liquid Tension
Give Pain of Salvation a listen. The vocals are a big reason why I listen to this band and maybe Gildenlow vocal style might not annoy you. The closest style he reminds me of is Mike Patten when he was with Faith No More. This is more obvious with PoS's first two discs.

Antithesis's disc Dying for Life is another Prog metal disc with a srong vocalist.

Mystic Force's disc Man Vs. Machine. One warning is that this guy sounds like Goeff Tate at times in this disc.

i'll check it out :) thx

Althoug it is not a real solution you maybe you should try some instrumental bands to avoid the singer-problem.
Check out :Liquid Tension Experiment
or Spastik ink

Like people said... try Pain Of Salvation. Also the newest Dream Theater the singer isn't so "singy"... he changed a lot since Images & Words. and of course Andromeda too hehe but i know you know about them already. and hmm.. there is one more band called Everon... very different vocals, give them a try and see what you think (i like the vocals... don't sound like power metal though they might still annoy you hehe) Try the songs Men Of Rust or Battle Of Words... FUCKING good :) Also Digital Ruin doesn't have a power metallish singer. Try the song Living For Yesterday. now lemme see.... Haji's Kitchen has odd time sigs and polyrhythms and such, though they sound quite like Nu Metal, but check out the tune Syncopated, or Machine by them. Also Aghora is a progressive band with a female singer and they are quite good too... try out the song Frames.

Originally posted by infinite-dream
Look for

Ark (Especially "Burn the sun" album)

Great Vocals
I would have to second this. I saw these guys at ProgPower 2.0, and they were incredible. I got to talk to Randy Coven(former bassist for Steve Vai) after their set. He seemed like a pretty cool guy(maybe a little shy), but lots of other people said he was rude. :err: Anyway, check out ARK now.

I really like Antithesis, also. I saw their drummer at ProgPower 2.0, and he also seemed like a really down-to-earth guy.

I need to check out PoS more because I'll be seeing them at ProgPower 3.0. :D